Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don’t think a ground rod is needed for either charger. Anyway I’m just going to get Pod-Point to do it as they are at £370 all in.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is almost exactly what I am finding too. Frustrating to say the least.

I’m almost at the point where I do the whole thing myself and just have someone certify it. But then that could end up costing more than necessary too as like you say, DNO notification required, EVSE certification to sign off etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
293 Posts
The catch is that many won't have done (ie. paid for) the EVSE training and registration, so they can't do it (or rather they can't certify it). It's a bit chicken and egg at present.
That's interesting. I had assumed that a part p registered spark was able to certify any domestic electrical work, subject of course to them being happy it was to current regs.
Is an evse + circuit an exception that they can't sign off?
They obviously can't collect the olev grant on your behalf without being olev accredited.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Electrical distributors are falling over themselves to get electricians on free EVSE training courses, all intended to insure Rolec' s dominance of this sector of the market.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm wondering if this subsidy is rather like old people's bus passes. (The government actually pay about £1 for a £4 bus journey.)

Maybe the EVSE companies only get £100 or so, but are instructed to tell everyone they get £500?

·
Premium Member
10,189 Posts
The charging point installers definitely get £500 from OLEV. However from that they have to include 3 year onsite warranty and endure a significant admin cost overhead. At present most are installed by national companies so travel time has a big cost impact. Total costs to install are often no different to those we find in USA where this no grant. Over $1000 before tax is quite typical.

Costs should be lower when more local companies are OLEV accredited and I guess this will happen as demand increases. Volume should also bring down the costs of the actual unit - right now R&D is probably amortised over too few units.

I suspect OLEV realised that the current home grant scheme wasn't very efficient as they did a different approach for workplace with a voucher scheme. Maybe at some point they will do that for home charging too.

Don't forget anyone fitting an EV charging point has to comply with regulations including informing the DNO, so getting an inexperienced electrician to "wack one in" on the cheap isn't really viable.

·
Premium Member
10,189 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Mine was audited earlier this year. The only thing that could not be verified was the mains water bonding. A kitchen unit blocks the access to main water inlet.

I was honest about it with the company and the auditor. Nothing else besides that. Never heard back either.

·
Registered
162 Posts
There are starting to be some cheaper suppliers and units out there. Not sure how good they are but £160 after grant is a low price. Albeit not tethered.

My experience of this company was extremely negative.
They arrived late (after previously failing to keep appointments twice at short notice), clearly did not understand the product that they were installing, refused to use armoured cable for an exposed piece of cable (the regs are open to debate), scratched the glass front of the unit significantly, left it as a dumb charger without the ability to disable, and refused to deal with any aftercare issues. I cannot recommend them less.
Eventually the manufacturer attended - the issue was a simple mistyping of the WiFi password and a line in the set-up. Why did it take the (UK agent) of the Chinese supplier to resolve the problem?
Frankly the attitude of the UK installer was the issue - perhaps you get what you pay for. Even after 6 months I don't have any NICEIC certification - I wonder how they claimed the OLEV grant.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
There is no special electricians qualification for domestic installations of EVSEs. Who invented this particular myth, hands up!
My electrician, who I do actually trust.
He said that the NICEIC entries for installations, etc, are all computerised and the section for EV charging systems is invisible by default. To make it accessible you have to take an approved course (and pass I guess) after which you get given a code of some sort. You enter this in the NICEIC system and then the EV charging entry becomes available to you.

·
Premium Member
10,189 Posts
My experience of this company was extremely negative.
They arrived late (after previously failing to keep appointments twice at short notice), clearly did not understand the product that they were installing, refused to use armoured cable for an exposed piece of cable (the regs are open to debate), scratched the glass front of the unit significantly, left it as a dumb charger without the ability to disable, and refused to deal with any aftercare issues. I cannot recommend them less.
Eventually the manufacturer attended - the issue was a simple mistyping of the WiFi password and a line in the set-up. Why did it take the (UK agent) of the Chinese supplier to resolve the problem?
Frankly the attitude of the UK installer was the issue - perhaps you get what you pay for. Even after 6 months I don't have any NICEIC certification - I wonder how they claimed the OLEV grant.
Good to get feedback as I was sceptical of the low price.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Mike
Our previous installation by PodPoint appeared there within a month. I regret trying to save £100 in this case. Expressions along the lines of the quality remains after the price is forgotten seem appropriate. Mea culpa.

·
Registered
125 Posts
This is really interesting. I got 2 quotes off ecoplug spoke to a guy on the phone seemed very informed and main selling point was the quality of work over other competitors... He was recommending the zapi over others due to off peak charging although I can do it through the car. Quotes came in very odd... View attachment 124999 View attachment 125000
HO7 is not armoured cable it is a flex designed for outdoor use. It should not be used for a fixed installation.

·
Registered
203 Posts
This is almost exactly what I am finding too. Frustrating to say the least.

I’m almost at the point where I do the whole thing myself and just have someone certify it. But then that could end up costing more than necessary too as like you say, DNO notification required, EVSE certification to sign off etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure why you even need someone to certify it. Presumably you'll take your charger if you move house, so have no need of building control certificates to provide to the new owner?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Not sure why you even need someone to certify it. Presumably you'll take your charger if you move house, so have no need of building control certificates to provide to the new owner?
Is it worth taking your charger? I mean after all the expense of having it removed and reinstalled it would have to be pretty fancy to be worth moving, wouldn't it?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Is it worth taking your charger? I mean after all the expense of having it removed and reinstalled it would have to be pretty fancy to be worth moving, wouldn't it?
Oh, well, then discard it if you don't want it. Just I mean that someone capable of installing one, is capable of uninstalling one, so building regs approval is pretty irrelevant.

·
Registered
162 Posts
HO7 is not armoured cable it is a flex designed for outdoor use. It should not be used for a fixed installation.
Agreed, although Regulation 521.9.1 permits the use of flexible cables for fixed wiring if they’re of the heavy duty type or the risk of damage is low or protection against mechanical protection is provided. My issue with the use of anything in an exposed situation externally apart from SWA is that I cannot agree about the risk of damage being low from wildlife.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts