Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Oh, well, then discard it if you don't want it. Just I mean that someone capable of installing one, is capable of uninstalling one, so building regs approval is pretty irrelevant.
But having an EVSE already installed could be a selling point.
And you can't just remove the box and leave the cable and CU equipment. It's still a circuit and it's the circuit that requires Building Control notification.
Personally, if someone told me that the owner was going to rip out a complete power circuit before handing the house over to me I'd be wondering what else might go on. It's cheapskating.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
My issue with the use of anything in an exposed situation externally apart from SWA is that I cannot agree about the risk of damage being low from wildlife.
What wildlife is going to damage a cable on a house wall, or whatever?

But really, for the extra cost (less than £10 on a 10m run, though glands may be a couple of £ more) I'd always use SWA.
I suspect another reason installers don't want to use SWA is that it's harder to work with - which is fair I suppose.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
HO7 is not armoured cable it is a flex designed for outdoor use. It should not be used for a fixed installation.
Theres nothing in the regs that says H07 (or indeed any other flex) cannot be used in a fixed installation.

H07RN-F is a heavy duty outdoor flex. Its rated for use in heavy industrial environments. It will be fine clipped to a wall of a house.

HiTuf (NYY-J) is also non-armoured non-flexible cable, but rated for outdoor use. This is what PodPoint used for my mates recent charger installation.

dk6790:

I'm not really sure what wildlife you think will be attacking your mains cables... My garage was fed by some standard twin and earth clipped along the fence for years, a lashup by the previous owner. Another shed was fed with T&E buried in the ground. Both total bodges and completely against the regs. I replaced the garage run with SWA, and disconnected and removed the supply to the shed, but actually, having been in place for 10 years, both cables were actually in very good condition when i removed them.

I wouldnt worry at all about H07 or NYYJ for a charger.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
The only time that SWA must be used is when there is a risk from a spade etc, and the cable is not RCD protected. (Even then the cables in roads are mostly not as well protected as SWA.)

·
Registered
134 Posts
There's half a dozen or so pheasants that pick through my garden every day. If one of them was electrocuted that could make a very tasty Sunday roast :unsure:
And would be pre cooked. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

John.

·
Registered
972 Posts
What wildlife is going to damage a cable on a house wall, or whatever?
In my London suburb, there's druggadikts, tshavs, and other animals who I was afraid might be tempted by a hit from the cable. I do regret not getting the tethered charger though, both for the annoyance of getting the cable out daily, and for the lack of shock value that could have helped some of the local fauna.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
My electrician, who I do actually trust.
He said that the NICEIC entries for installations, etc, are all computerised and the section for EV charging systems is invisible by default. To make it accessible you have to take an approved course (and pass I guess) after which you get given a code of some sort. You enter this in the NICEIC system and then the EV charging entry becomes available to you.
Total BS

NICEIC is not the only tradebody for sparks. It's not a legal requirement to NICEIC.

You are falling into their little trap by repeating such stories!

41 - 52 of 52 Posts