Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OLEV Call for Evidence and the Report on the 'Role of PiP and PiCG in EV Take-up.

Apologies to those who have seen these documents before. However, I have not seen the contents discussed in any EV fora - interesting? They are rebroadcast here in the context of OLEV's Call for Evidence on ULEV, which closes on 10 Jan 14.

Here are copies of the research, done by TRL, on behalf of OLEV:
Long Version:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/assessing-the-role-of-the-plug-in-car-grant-and-plugged-in-places-scheme-in-electric-vehicle-take-up
Summary:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/driving-the-future-today-a-strategy-for-ultra-low-emission-vehicles-in-the-uk

EV Matters has a major concern that, in the research phase, the views of EV Owners/Drivers was obtained by questionnaires - indeed questionnaires filled out as a mainly as a result of telephone interviews. Of course there is a huge fallacy in the use of questionnaires generally - in that the designer of the questionnaire will scope and define the questions based on their own perceptions and to a large extent predicate the results.(IMHO)

EV Matters does not seek to suggests that the results are not valid; however, they are certainly are weak in the reflecting the views that are discussed regularly in EV Chat-rooms.

The four recommendations in this report do nothing to reflect any need for charges in policy, or priority. Recommendations that include words like 'marketing', 'harmonising', 'improving.. existing' and 'investigation' are there to satisfy the reports sponsor - and, in the view of EV Matters, does not adequately reflects the strength of viewpoints in the EV Community.

EV Matters can't fail to observe that the report fails makes mention of the coherence, or reliability, of the EV charging infrastructure? Yet we know this is a source of daily frustration.

If the EV Community allows the Call for Evidence to pass by without an effective input - then the deficiencies of the current policies and strategies will be perpetuated?

Drive ON!

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
However, I have not seen the contents discussed in any EV fora - interesting?
The real challenge IMO is that the number of EV drivers is very small and we don't yet have enough people with the time and financial resources required to provide a professional response to OLEV.

Although I'm involved (via ZCW) in OLEV, SMMT, and the fledgling charging vendors Industry group, I've decided to wait until we have a lot more electric car drivers before investing more personal effort in this... that said, I will ensure that ZCW submits evidence to OLEV and I strongly suggest that all drivers do the same.

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The real challenge IMO is that the number of EV drivers....
Although I'm involved (via ZCW) in OLEV, SMMT, and the fledgling charging vendors Industry group, I've decided to wait until we have a lot more electric car drivers before investing more personal effort in this... that said, I will ensure that ZCW submits evidence to OLEV and I strongly suggest that all drivers do the same.
Kevin,

I think we are all grateful for you efforts in OLEV and SMMT; however, there is a huge risk to EV democracy if you are telling OLEV and SMMT what you have articulated here!

EV Matters does not agree with your assessment of the community and is opposed to any assumption that a professional response is not achievable. As I've said to OLEV (and to you previously) there needs to be a better 'engagement' with the owners and drivers - through briefings and workshops. Maybe, there aren't resources to produce adequate responses to the C-for-E; however, a study linked to the briefings /workshops would have ensured that responses had been validated against a good understanding of policies and strategies.

I don't think for one moment that your efforts are (or have been) biased; however, with your commercial interests you are definitely 'at risk'?

OLEV and SMMTs 'closed door' policies are, in the view of EV Matters, quite indefensible. Maybe there are subjects that are for a limited audience; however, there should a level in which these organisations should be transparent. The EV evolution in UK is a shambles - some good intentions, some commercial bloody mindedness - but mostly its 'covert' for the sake of a quiet life for those involved. None of whom drive EVs on a regular basis (IMHO)!

Drive ON!

Reactions: Paul_Moxhay

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
I think we are all grateful for you efforts in OLEV and SMMT; however, there is a huge risk to EV democracy if you are telling OLEV and SMMT what you have articulated here!
I don't need to tell OLEV or SMMT anything... I'm simply reflecting what they believe based on the representations they have received from EV drivers to date (which is nothing!). I'm also not obliged to represent anyones views other than my own, although I have canvased widely in the past prior to every meeting and tried to put drivers views across. I should probably also mention that I was one of the driving forces behind the creation of EVDA and EVAS so that you have no doubt that I think effective driver participation is critical.

I strongly suggest you get involved in the process and make sure your views are heard by OLEV... nothing anyone says on any forum will make the slightest difference... talk is easy, action is more difficult!

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
I don't think for one moment that your efforts are (or have been) biased; however, with your commercial interests you are definitely 'at risk'?
It's a tightrope and I do everything possible to keep the various parts of my life apart and provide trasnparency where possible. For example, I'm a major supporter of a medical charity and my US business interests are in Medical IT... the potential for conflict exists but we have lots of third party checks in place.

in the view of EV Matters
Can I suggest you create a signature reflecting the fact that you are representing EV Matters in your posts? IMO it's important that drivers understand the motivations behind the participants on a public forum... many thanks :)

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Firstly, my experience of OLEV is not encouraging. I attended a conference 2 years ago where I met many of the main players at OLEV and the Plugged-in-Places. The general feeling I came away with was one that all the main players viewed EV drivers almost as superficial to the role out of EVs! Nothing much has changed as far as I can see.

None of my opinions found favour at the time and although they have had every opportunity over the past 2 years to engage with drivers they have done nothing as far I can see to do so. Time after time, I see announcements from OLEV and I almost weep as the invitable happens and very few driver requirements are incorporated in policy. It seems to me that OLEV is business focussed, almost entirely, and that means that the money is going out for the benefit of companies and very little benefit filters down to the poor EV drivers.

I am constantly told that OLEV are genuinely interested in drivers but I disagree. If they were then they would make considerably more effort to actively engage with us and until they start to realise that their priority should be on drivers rather than the companies involved, in my opinion, OLEV will not create the environment needed to see EV take up amongst the masses.

So, if OLEV and the other players in the sector are not going to seek out our views and take them on board then if we want to have any influence on how the future of the EV sector pans out we must find a way to force them to sit up and take notice of us.

We really must organise if we want to be able to demand a voice and have any say.

It has started already with the fledgling Electric Vehicle Drivers Association UK (EVDA-UK) and I would urge every EV driver in the country, on this forum and all forums, online and offline, to join the EVDA-UK. It is free to join. Once the EVDA-UK has a significant membership that represents a sizeable percentage of UK EV owners it cannot then just be brushed aside as irrelevent. We need to do whatever it takes to create an organisation that is professional and credible.

Kevin is right in what he said:
The real challenge IMO is that the number of EV drivers is very small and we don't yet have enough people with the time and financial resources required to provide a professional response to OLEV.
It isn't lack of enthusiasm, motivation or even skills that will hold back the creation of a credible EVDA but it may need more resources, both time and money, than it has immediately available to do so. I am hoping that as more and more EV drivers join EVDA-UK that these major barriers to its success can be overcome and we, through it, can finally start to help shape the EV future in the UK.

See evda-uk.org for more info.

·
Militant EV driver!
4,937 Posts
Well the Call for Evidence is closing as I write.

Didn't hear anything from other Ampera drivers so I went ahead and submitted my own input. No acknowledgement so I hope I didn't waste my Friday in vain.

I brought their attention to various topics including the lamentable state of charging networks, how they could rejig the plug-in grant to stop price gouging by the manufacturers (through tax rebates like the American system), the coverage of EVs in the media suppressing uptake and finally the hydrogen fallacy. Let's see if they take notice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts