Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just spoken to a really nice and honest chap from rightcharge.co.uk, and he reckons they've not had a single OLEV grant be approved for the past couple of months for home installations. They've had all grants approved for workplace.

They're now quoting full price with the disclaimer you may never get the OLEV money back. What are other people's experiences that have installed home charge points recently?

·
Registered
493 Posts
I've just spoken to a really nice and honest chap from rightcharge.co.uk, and he reckons they've not had a single OLEV grant be approved for the past couple of months for home installations. They've had all grants approved for workplace.

They're now quoting full price with the disclaimer you may never get the OLEV money back. What are other people's experiences that have installed home charge points recently?
I suggest that you should talk to a couple of other installers and compare the responses.

·
Registered
669 Posts
the EVHS is still going and I don't know why there would be any issues, unless someone lied about already having a charger installed, or refused to sign the agreement at the end of the install.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
He thinks they're just totally swamped. The workplace scheme is all handled by online forms and they've had no issues there. However, the home scheme is all paperwork. They had been getting back nit picking issues querying all of their submissions, but now they're just hearing nothing at all. Apparently, several companies that were taking the £500 off the charge to the customer, rather than refunding it at a later date, have gone bankrupt.

·
Premium Member
11,205 Posts
The Workplace scheme is very different in that the applicant gets a voucher they redeem with the installer, so is less hassle for them.

I suggest you try one of the larger companies such as Podpoint or Chargemaster. Personally I wouldn't pay on full on the basis I might get the grant refunded later.

·
Registered
669 Posts
You can get a workplace "voucher" in seconds, there's no checks done at the time of application. It still requires the signing off of a form and the installer applying for the refund. They need to supply evidence that the conditions of the grant were met, so it's all down to the company installing it. When i got ours done they ran through all the checks before quoting as they said if the conditions weren't met they wouldn't get paid. All I did was sign a "the work is complete" form. Maybe it's just a different team and there's a lot less going through the workplace team than the home team.
I paid the amount minus the grant. I wouldn't pay the full amount and wait for a refund, it's not your responsibility to claim the money back it's the company installing the charger.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
As far as we know it's continuing, and we are still putting in applications. However, we did get a message saying they are currently handling November claims, so it does look like they may be getting overwhelmed and falling behind.

Giving we know EV uptake is rising fast (perhaps exponentially), would anyone like to guess if the OLEV workforce is increasing at the same rate?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've had 2 quotes in, both for EO Mini Pro. Bearing in mind, this is a completely standard install with around 10 - 11m of cabling required to stretch from one end of the garage to the other. Note, the electricity supply they#ll be coming off is within the garage.

Both quotes are to within £4 of £1290. With 1 of the quotes saying they can't guarantee I'll get the OLEV £500 off that price. So with OLEV grant, it's £790. Seems a bit expensive to me.

One of the quotes estimates the installation time to be 5 - 6 hours? I would have thought it would be 2 hours max, and that's only if he puts away several cups of tea.

Who have other people used, and what were the prices?

·
Registered
669 Posts
That's madness.....
I paid a lot less than that for a business install for a charger with a mobile app and rfid card to prevent unauthorised access, which needed about 30m of armoured cable running through an industrial unit.
While the Grant chargers are a bit more pricey as they need to "phone home" you can buy the official Tesla charger for £460 and in install would be £200 max from a local sparky if it's a basic job. My Brother's sparky charged £50 to wire in his tesla charger after he ran all the cabling.

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 Performance 2019
104 Posts
I've had 2 quotes in, both for EO Mini Pro.

Who have other people used, and what were the prices?
I had the EO Mini Pro via EDF as part of taking out their Go Electric tariff. I had to pay £409 of the £1,209 quote for the tethered version (the untethered version would have required me to faff around with cables from the boot). They applied the grant and some discounts to get it down to that figure.

It took the installer a morning to put it in and he had to charge another £40 for the cable run that was a lot longer than he was led to expect. He did a great job and I’m very pleased with the EO Mini Pro. It is nice and compact, the tethered option was definitely the right choice and the unit keeps a log of all the charging sessions that I can download to a spreadsheet to work out exactly how much I’m paying to charge the car at home.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
That's madness.....
I paid a lot less than that for a business install for a charger with a mobile app and rfid card to prevent unauthorised access, which needed about 30m of armoured cable running through an industrial unit.
While the Grant chargers are a bit more pricey as they need to "phone home" you can buy the official Tesla charger for £460 and in install would be £200 max from a local sparky if it's a basic job. My Brother's sparky charged £50 to wire in his tesla charger after he ran all the cabling.
The RCBO and ground spike would come to more than £200, unless the sparky is working for free.

·
Registered
669 Posts
RCBO's are £20 and a Ground Spike is £15 if you need one. The charger we had fitted at work has all the RCBO and DC reverse current protection built into the unit.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
You need a DC sensitive type B or type A-EV. They run between £150-£300 depending on where you get them. Something like this

A tesla charger does not have any extra protection and requires these, so nobody is doing it for £50 as you suggest.

This is why you get a proper installer not a bloke down the pub.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Apologies, maybe I was mixing things up a bit, the £50 install was before the 2019 reg changes and was done by a proper sparky not some guy down the pub, but all he had to do was connect wires and sign it off.
What I'm trying to get at is that a lot of installers seem to be taking the piss a bit by effectively boosting the cost of the install to mean that they take both your money and the grant money.
I'd could still get a charger fitted for less than £790 Without the grant ... even if I did need a £114 RCCB like Type B RCD / RCCB 40A for EV Charge Point Installations. 4 pole, 3 phase or single phase, 30ma, EKL1-63
My last commercial EV charger install (5 months ago) cost me £390 inc after the grant.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree, I think a lot of these companies are over inflating to get a good chunk of the grant. Sure, maybe an extra £100 or so, but this is more like £300+.

I ended up going with pod-point, as they have a fixed fee ~£400 and state up front what kind of install this includes. The charging point looks like dogshit, but it'll save a few quid.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Hi Yoric, great to hear you've found Rightcharge handy, and lovely to hear that you had a good experience with the partner we connected you to. I run Rightcharge.

The chap you spoke to will be one of the installation partners that we work with, as opposed to us. Not taking OLEV off upfront is an unusual suggestion - I know the whole OLEV experience is hard for installers so I understand their approach - but as suggested above best that's unusual practice.

I've dropped you a message to find out some more details.

Cheers,
Charlie

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Charlie, not sure why this post has just happened, it was a few weeks ago you contacted me.

While the partner you connected me was really nice, I'd say it wasn't a good experience. I ended up going with pod point. You pay up front ~£400, and the process is very smooth.

I'm sure the process with the company that was recommended to me would have been OK, but then the quote was £1200. Quite a difference.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts