Great Minster House

33 Horseferry Road

London

SW1P 4DR

Web Site: www.dft.gov.uk

7 July 2014

Reference: FOI 0011224

Dear Paul Webb,

Thank you for your information request of 11 June 2014. You requested the following
information:

These questions pertain to the home chargers that were subsidised under the OLEV
scheme.
1. How many units were installed under the scheme to date.
2. How many of these units have reported a charge or usage since being put in.
3. How many have stopped reporting data.
4. How many have never reported data after being installed.

Your request has been considered under the Freedom of Information Act 2000.

I am writing to confirm that the Department for Transport does hold the information you
requested but has decided that some of this information cannot be disclosed for the
reasons given below. The information that can be released is:

1. How many units were installed under the scheme to date.

Response: Up to 30 April 2014, 15717 domestic charge points were claimed for
under the domestic recharging scheme, allowing people to prepare their homes for
plug-in vehicles.

The information being withheld falls under the exemption in section 22 of the Freedom of
Information Act 2000, as the information has always been intended for publication at a
future date.

In applying this exemption we have had to balance the public interest in withholding the
information against the public interest in disclosure.

The attached annex A to this letter sets out the exemption in full and details why the public
interest test favours withholding the information.

In keeping with the spirit and effect of the Freedom of Information Act, all information is
assumed to be releasable to the public unless exempt. A copy of this response and the
information provided may now be published on the www.gov.uk web-site, together with
any related information that will provide a key to its wider context.

If you are unhappy with the way the Department has handled your request or with the
decisions made in relation to your request you may complain within two calendar months
of the date of this letter by writing to the Department’s Information Rights Unit at:

Zone D/04
Ashdown House
Sedlescombe Road North
Hastings
East Sussex TN37 7GA
E-mail: [email address]

Please see attached details of DfT’s complaints procedure and your right to complain to
the Information Commissioner.

If you have any queries about this letter, please contact me. Please remember to quote the
reference number above in any future communications.

Yours,

Policy Advisor

Your right to complain to the Department for Transport and
the Information Commissioner

You have the right to complain within two calendar months of the date of this letter about
the way in which your request for information was handled and/or about the decision not
to disclose all or part of the information requested. In addition a complaint can be made
that DfT has not complied with its FOI publication scheme.

Your complaint will be acknowledged and you will be advised of a target date by which to
expect a response. Initially your complaint will be re-considered by the official who dealt
with your request for information. If, after careful consideration, that official decides that
his/her decision was correct, your complaint will automatically be referred to a senior
independent official who will conduct a further review. You will be advised of the outcome
of your complaint and if a decision is taken to disclose information originally withheld this
will be done as soon as possible.

If you are not content with the outcome of the internal review, you have the right to apply
directly to the Information Commissioner for a decision. The Information Commissioner
can be contacted at:

Information Commissioner’s Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane
Wilmslow
Cheshire
SK9 5AF

Annex A
In respect to exemption of questions 2,3 and 4.

Exemption in full

1 Information is exempt information if

a) the information is held by the public authority with a view to its publications, by
the authority or any other person, at some future date (whether determined or
not),

b) the information was already held with a view to such publication at the time
when the request for information was made, and

c) it is reasonable in all circumstances that the information should be withheld
from disclosure until the date referred to in paragraph (a)

Public interest test factors for
Public interest test factors against
disclosure
disclosure

 There is a general presumption for
 The data received has yet to be
disclosure;
checked and quality assured, to

ensure it is compliant with data
 the desirability of citizens being
requirements.
informed of how public money is

being spent; and
 the disclosure of the information

before publication may lead to
inaccuracy and therefore mislead
 there is an intrinsic value to the
the public;
chargepoint data being made

publically available, particularly by
 premature publishing of the
the energy networks in
information will significantly disrupt
understanding charging patterns
the planned managing of the
and the potential impact on the
activity leading to the general
electricity grid.
publication of the information; and

 the planned publication of the
information at a future date, as
described in the scheme’s
guidance, will inform the public of
how public money is being spent.

Decision
On balance, the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs that in
releasing the information.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
15717 chargepoints for how many plug-in cars, exactly?

Reactions: Arch

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
The answer means: 'We aren't telling you because at this stage the answer would be too embarrassing. By the time we release the information the recent rule changes will have made the data look much more favourable.'

·
Registered
296 Posts
15717 charge points for how many plug-in cars, exactly?
Hmmm, something not quite right there ..

"Response: Up to 30 April 2014, 15717 domestic charge points were claimed for
under the domestic recharging scheme, allowing people to prepare their homes for
plug-in vehicles."

Unless I am missing something, 15,717 is about twice the number of 'domestically' owned BEV's in the UK.

I don't have a OLEV anything and no EV owning personal friends have one either... so was the con here ?!?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Well I got my mum to install a charge point as she is outside of my return range.
An abuse of the system? Possibly. Handy for me? Absolutely.
I know of others who have done the same.
That said, at least one of those has resulted in the sale on an EV to their parents.
Now of course, you can't do this and for the record I agree with the new policy.
Also these will show up as being used, albeit not heavily.
Also my home charger is now only used occasionally because of the good GMEV infrastructure in and around Manchester.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Well I got my mum to install a charge point as she is outside of my return range.
An abuse of the system? Possibly. Handy for me? Absolutely.
I know of others who have done the same.
That said, at least one of those has resulted in the sale on an EV to their parents.
Now of course, you can't do this and for the record I agree with the new policy.
Also these will show up as being used, albeit not heavily.
Also my home charger is now only used occasionally because of the good GMEV infrastructure in and around Manchester.
I certainly don't have an issue with that - and I know that Vauxhall (and possibly others) were stating on their website that you could get free charge points for your friends.
But I can't imagine that 50% of EV owners persuaded friends/family to install a point "just in case"! (Though I did ask a friend to install one for me, but he never got around to it... Not really a problem given the number of rapids in MK).

·
Registered
697 Posts
I'm a fleet driver, but charge mainly at home with an OLEV-funded (well, PiP-funded) charge point. So although it's not a "domestic BEV", I'm still using it to make most of my mileage EV.

@Webby - I would definitely drop a letter of appeal back. That response is really shoddy - it would take them a few minutes to prepare the data (although they almost certainly have it already). Sorry it's not convenient to them to show you now, but you have a legitimate interest in how useful the taxpayer £££s have been spent, and "we'd rather tell you later" isn't on.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
IMO that response is unacceptable. They are hiding behind the FOI and this is precisely what the FOI act was designed to prevent.

There is no legitimate reason I can imagine not to provide those figures except for their own convenience or internal purposes.

I would definitely put in an appeal.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
In the appeal you can point out that the figures you want are those from the start of the scheme to now, and those are not likely to be separately published. This means they cannot use the "we were planning to publish those figure in the future" defence.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I really dont understand the "we are going to publish in the future defence" unless they give you a date its meaninless, when are they going to publish, next week, next month, next year ?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
The reasons for the exception are badly formatted, so you basicallu have to read every other line. In doing so, I found this (which I missed on first glance):

there is an intrinsic value to the
chargepoint data being made
the energy networks in
electricity grid.

Makeof that what you will...

It's a shame that Webby can't scan and show the original document.
The more I look at it the more I think we need to see the original.
The part which says:
disclosure
disclosure

...Are actually 2 column headings. Namely "Public interest test factors for disclosure" and "Public interest test factors against disclosure".

Give me a few minutes, I'm going to reformat this so it makes sense and we can properly see the for vs against arguments...

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
OK, I think this is the for/against argument:

disclosure
· There is a general presumption for
disclosure;

· the desirability of citizens being
informed of how public money is
being spent; and

· there is an intrinsic value to the chargepoint data being made
the energy networks in
electricity grid.

disclosure

· The data received has yet to bechecked and quality assured, to
ensure it is compliant with data
requirements.

· the disclosure of the information
before publication may lead to
inaccuracy and therefore mislead
the public;

· premature publishing of the
information will significantly disrupt
the planned managing of the
activity leading to the general
publication of the information; and

· the planned publication of the
information at a future date, as
described in the scheme’s
guidance, will inform the public of
how public money is being spent.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF 24kWh; Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
343 Posts
The "Green Deal" was a massive flop, making funds available for energy-saving home improvements. So much so that it had to be repackaged and relaunched, albeit quietly I think. Perhaps they didn't want to have another round of mud-slinging accusations of a waste of resources at a time of austerity.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
This stinks, but only adds further fuel to the demand for disclosure. Appeal.

My Solar PV installers who were onsite last week were amazed to see an electric car - wanted to know all about the LEAF and how it works, hadn't seen an EV before. They then went on to tell me how they'd installed loads & loads of free pod point chargers (and never seen an EV before). Really. These were the good guys, no cowboy installers. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts