Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I've done a quick search but not found a definitive answer yet.
I just recently got an EV and I live in a terraced house with no parking so can't get a charger installed. I'm lucky enough to own a rental property elsewhere with dedicated parking and was wondering if I could still get the grant. To add to complications, the car is in my name but the house is in my wifes.

Pod-Point have suggested we might get around it with a utility bill in our name but I don't want a Pod-point really, I would prefer an Eo mini. I've only tried one installer but they said straight out that I wouldn't be able to get the grant.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

thanks

Registered
I'm lucky enough to own a rental property elsewhere with dedicated parking and was wondering if I could still get the grant.
Assuming this is a BTL, with tenants, surely you should discuss this with them first? If my LL wanted to install an EV charger for "his use" connected to my leccy bill to charge his EV, i would tell him to go do one. Or knock off 50p kwh of my rent for each unit of leccy he used to charge his EV. 馃榿

Unless of course you intended to be gracious and explain to the tenants you would be picking up 100% of the rentals leccy bill from after the EV chargers was installed.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Assuming this is a BTL, with tenants, surely you should discuss this with them first? If my LL wanted to install an EV charger for "his use" connected to my leccy bill to charge his EV, i would tell him to go do one. Or knock off 50p kwh of my rent for each unit of leccy he used to charge his EV. 馃榿

Unless of course you intended to be gracious and explain to the tenants you would be picking up 100% of the rentals leccy bill from after the EV chargers was installed.
It's a holiday let cottage. Guests only stay a week at a time. We pay all the bills. It would only be advantageous for any guests we get who want to charge their vehicles.

Registered
It's a holiday let cottage. Guests only stay a week at a time. We pay all the bills. It would only be advantageous for any guests we get who want to charge their vehicles.
When i had my two OLEV chargers installed in 2016/17, all they cared about was who's name and address the V5 was in. They dont care who owns the property, i dont remember them even asking!!

So if you get the V5 in your name at the rental address, i cant see any issues getting the grant. Just remember to bow your head low when asking the wifes permission to get a EV charger installed at "her" house. LOL.

Registered
If all they're asking for is a V5 at that address then just register the car there, apply for the grant and then register it at your house again. It'll take a while, usually 2-3 weeks to get it back at the new address. You can even do it online now so won't even cost you a couple of stamps.

Registered
'18 Zoe ZE 40 R110 + '21 VW ID.4 1st
When i had my two OLEV chargers installed in 2016/17, all they cared about was who's name and address the V5 was in. They dont care who owns the property, i dont remember them even asking!!

So if you get the V5 in your name at the rental address, i cant see any issues getting the grant. Just remember to bow your head low when asking the wifes permission to get a EV charger installed at "her" house. LOL.
I just had my Zappi installed and the installer did require written permission from the landlord, so sometimes they do care about who owns the property.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If all they're asking for is a V5 at that address then just register the car there, apply for the grant and then register it at your house again. It'll take a while, usually 2-3 weeks to get it back at the new address. You can even do it online now so won't even cost you a couple of stamps.
Thanks for this. Sounds like it could work. No time limits on how long a car can be registered in a certain place or to a certain person?
Although we aren't doing anything wrong, it feels a little bit dodgy.

Registered
Thanks for this. Sounds like it could work. No time limits on how long a car can be registered in a certain place or to a certain person?
Although we aren't doing anything wrong, it feels a little bit dodgy.
I don't think so, there's not much to a V5 ultimately, it isn't proof of ownership, has nothing to do with insurance (car can be insured at an entirely different address as the V5 is registered) so doubt there are any qualms about how often you amend it. When I was at university I moved every year so that was 4 different addresses and during the summer I would register it back with my parents again for 2 months, never a worry from the DVLA and that was when you had to go through all the hassle of posting it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts