Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We’ve received an email to say the pod needs to be attached to the main property to be eligible for the grant. Now my partner says he believes this to be house...the placement of our private drive is at back of the house with the back garden in between the house and the drive with a brick wall round it. To be eligible can’t we just attach it to the garden wall? No where does it state in any criteria that I’ve read is that it has to be attached to the main property. Just we need private off road parking which we have? Can anyone help us on this?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,612 Posts
Mine is attached to the outside wall of a detached garage. The feed cable runs from the centre of the house (consumer unit) in through the attic, out through the gable end then across the top of a gate, along the outside of the garage wall and then to the charging unit. I'm sure there are plenty of other installations that are not attached to the 'property'. Is it the installer, manufacturer or OLEV that is telling you this?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rolec the installer. It was on an email t&cs they sent us. The actual wording was must be attached to the main property. I read this as my garden wall is part of the main property...my partner read this as main property being the house.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,612 Posts
Rolec are the manufacturer of units, they will pass on your details to one of their approved installers in your area and speak to them directly offering to send a simple drawing photograph to let them get a better idea on the actual installation without the need for you to pay for a site visit. If they won't install it where you want you can always try another installer and a different point manufacturer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ll see what they say when they’ve replied to my email Thankyou, do you recommend any other companies I can look at? Completely brand new to the ev world!

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,612 Posts
It all depends on where you stay. I'm in Scotland and our Energy Savings Trust has a list of installers that will work with them for the additional installation grant available up here. You could try looking at zap-map they have a section on finding an installer. Also having a look at their site you are able to select the type of point you want so you could try seeing what is available locally to you and then Google (other search engines are available) for more information on the actual unit and see if it fits your needs.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,612 Posts
I've just checked and they don't have my charger listed so I don't know how up to date they are. Mine is a Zappi2 from myenergi, a smart charger that is designed to work alongside solar panels and there is now an installer in the small town that I stay as well who isn't listed.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
1,007 Posts
I’ve had to look into this because where I have to put a charger is on land, separate from the house, that I don’t have a title for, but neither does anyone else. So I can’t prove I own it, nor can I prove I have permission to install a charge point there. This is technically a requirement for the olev grant. However. What the installer actually has to tick off is that it’s private, off-road parking, that you possess a qualifying vehicle and... that’s about it. Some installers are more flexible than others and the interpretations vary. My installer is satisfied that they can tick the boxes without any falsehoods in a don’t ask, don’t tell approach.... because it is all above board, I just don’t have the piece of paper to prove it.

The charger does need to be installed on your property- technically - or you need to demonstrate you have permission. There’s nothing about which wall or how close to the house - though what’s more likely is they’ve set some rules to do with standard installs for materials and labour cost purposes.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
It is BS that it has to be on the house. We (this forum) know of many people who have had installed on detached garage, wall, post in garden, etc. The only rules are that it must be a private property (not commercial) and a dedicated, off-road parking space.

Link to official information below

Please do not be tempted to cut corners with an installation (maybe with an inexperienced electrician) that doesn't comply with the regulations and ideally the IET Code of Practice. We have already seem one forum member have a nasty fire and nobody wants to see another one.

Reactions: gary wyatt-williams

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
It is BS that it has to be on the house. We (this forum) know of many people who have had installed on detached garage, wall, post in garden, etc
Agreed - Rolec even sell a purpose made stainless steel mounting post to suit their wall boxes, if I remember correctly ?.
Many members have had their wall boxes fitted to alternative solid structure ( brick feature wall / post / external garage etc ).

·
Registered
BMW i3
2,124 Posts
I believe "property" here simply means the curtilage - not any particular building within it.

Reactions: Carty

·
Registered
110 Posts
I don't think it has to be attached to the house, when I ordered my pod point one of the available things was a free standing mount that could be put anywhere if you didn't have wall space - nothing saying it would affect the OLEV grant.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,906 Posts
There's another parallel thread where the OP has a driveway that is separate from his house. I believe that is the situation where the OLEV grant will not be paid.

Installation - Separate Driveway

1 - 15 of 15 Posts