Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies, because I know there are threads dealing with this, but a) I can’t find them, and b) I remember them getting quite technical quite quickly, and I’m a bear of very little engineering brain.

68 plate car, 8,000 miles. Just occasionally before I’ve thought there was a strange noise on turning right, but it seemed to go away. Mileage is now about 5 a week, so when I got noises last supermarket trip out I thought it might just be brakes seizing, but they didn’t go away. It’s hard to describe, but a sort of clunking particularly when turning the steering wheel right, and a vibration coming through the floor where my left foot rests.

a) In the simplest of terms - what is this likely to be?
b) Is it going to damage the car if I keep driving, bearing in mind that it’s 5 miles a week at present?
c) If they are open and I can get an appointment, presumably my local main dealer should fix this under warranty - again, they’re only a couple of miles away.

TIA

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,925 Posts
Early cars had issues with drive shafts/ CV joints I think. There was a service update to sort it out.

If they are open then I'd contact your local dealer as soon as possible and see what they say about it.

It's hard to tell whether it will be fine with that use or not until it isn't.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hello @Astolat

Clicking noise from front offside wheel - the drive shaft need re-greasing with silicon grease - this thread explains everything.

This thread mentions a noise when turning:

Hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, that helps. However - can someone explain to me in really idiot-proof terms exactly what the drive shaft/CV joint is. I think I know what a drive shaft is, but I might find I don’t - I don’t know what a CV joint is/does. Just want to sound as if I am not completely naïf when I ring them...

·
Registered
402 Posts
Thanks, that helps. However - can someone explain to me in really idiot-proof terms exactly what the drive shaft/CV joint is. I think I know what a drive shaft is, but I might find I don’t - I don’t know what a CV joint is/does. Just want to sound as if I am not completely naïf when I ring them...
CV = constant velocity joint. It's the flexible joint in the driveshaft that allows the drive shaft (which fits between the motor and the wheel) to flex / turn, thus allowing suspension movement and steering. Like this:

Reactions: TomH

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent, thank you. I think even I understand now...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to update - noise has gone away again. Will wait and see.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts