Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Thanks ... as noted it's the ability to charge with 7.4 kW continuously at 25°C+ that interests me.
Well to me the logical thing seems to be to find another charger to test it on.

First rule of faulting, try an alternative and as the Car is easier to take to a charger than a charger to the car then it seems logical.

If that fails and still have problems get the dealer involved, but at the moment its not going to resolve anything keep trying the same unit.

After over 100k miles in 4 EVs all I can say is, Rapid Chargers are finicky flaky bits of kits and many a problem is sorted by just trying elsewhere.

Is there no NZ equivalent of Plugshare / Zapmap where you can find a friendly local owner with a home 7kw charger you can plug into to rule out issues with the car. Owners over here are normally more than helpful when it comes to things like this.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yes, as I mentioned earlier there is another Type 2-only EVSE a short drive away outside a shop. I will try it just to cross it off the list.

.. As this shutdown in load is electronic it's more than fast enough to shut down before the AC pins are physically withdrawn...
While both control pilot and proximity pilot pins are short, I'm not sure if they're the same length or one is even shorter than the other.
Of course a Type 2 connector does not have this extra resistor and trigger switch...
True ... I haven't looked at the input circuitry on a typical charger but since it can limit the current it must also be able to disconnect quickly, presumably at least within one half cycle of 50 Hz.

Regarding the pin length, the order of connecting is laid out in the connector specification and it starts with GND and ends with PP then CP, as you would expect.

Type 2 plugs, at least all of mine, both male and female have a resistor to GND on the PP pin to indicate the current carrying capacity of the AC conductors, presumably the same standard as Type 1 but missing the switch as you noted.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'm pretty sure my home charger is 7kw/32a and my charger shows 27kw pulled over 4 hours.
I wonder if fiddling with the AC power draw settings would help
Yes, did try that while it was charging. Noted the curiosity that one or two YouTubers commented on, the remaining charge time does not update while throttling until you change this setting. So with 3.8 kW at the Max Current settling the time still assumed it was 7.4. After changing to Reduced Current it went to 3.6 kW and updated the time accordingly. Once changed back to Max Current, the time estimate matched the throttled 3.8 kW.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Here is what I get from my charging history. I have an Andersen A2 home charger.
Thanks for posting that list. If that's a spreadsheet you can edit, a useful column to add would be total kWh divided by total time in hours, giving you the average charge rate per session in kW.

I checked the longest charge you have as an example and it's 7.04 kW, right on the money.

In my case that number is significantly lower due to this throttling issue. It's one way I can detect it after the session has completed, without having to watch the rate manually, assuming I stay under about 95% SoC.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
I charged for an hour on my regular ABB Terra 54 (the Type 2 cable rated 43 kW 3-ph) to warm it up and verify that the issue continues.

81% starting SoC, 22°C.
Started at 7.4 kW as it should, monitoring on the app ...
... after 31 minutes dipped down to 6.5 for a minute, back up to 7.0 to 7.2 kW
... 39 min, 4.5
... 42 min, 4.8 - 4.9
... 46 min to 60 min, back up to 7.0-7.1
Stopped at 60 min, average rate 7.0, not horrible but there was no reason for it to be dithering around.
Noting on most other occasions it would dither between 1.8 and 3.8, once up to 55°C.

Drove over to the free Type 2 EVSE (rated 22 kW 3-ph) right outside the big box.
Charged for 40 minutes, checked the dash few times (no app of course) and it was rock-solid at 7.1 kW every time.
I also noted that the drop to 0.5 thing did not seem to happen when I opened the door.

I'm going to gather more data before I contact ABB and/or Hyundai (again) because I would like to know what's happening, even if it's not fixable. This is my closest charger, 1 minute walk from home, the car is safe there and I don't mind the cost, so I would like it to work properly.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts