Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've not seen much talk about the Cadillac ELR's regen on demand paddles.

See Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QyRaoSVM7o

I think it's a good Idea, I used to drive in 'L' as I liked the regen but have found 'D' more comfortable and slightly more efficient in the long run, I now shift to L only when I need a long decelerating coast. I think these paddles, instead of shifting, are a great idea, maybe we'll see them on the next Volt too?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I feel the same Parax.

Like you, I used to drive in L most of the time. I felt that L combined with SPORT mode made it feel sporty and made single pedal operation easier. I now feel that the ride in L is quite "bumpy" and getting smooth deceleration difficult at times. Like you I find that careful use of the "gas" pedal and good anticipation gives me better range.

I really don't like the changing D to L with a lever on the Ampera that emulates a gear shift stick. I know that it makes it easy for people to understand but the physical shift of a lever is not necessary. It is all electronic so a button or pedal would seem more appropriate and easier to use. I often want to shift into L for a short time while going down a hill or approaching a roundabout. Shifting a clunky lever to do it seems very 20th century.

On the other hand, I find the touch-sensitive buttons on the centre console of the Ampera incredibly annoying as I keep turning on the heated seats by accident!!!! So hi-tech is not always the best solution for everything :)

I like the look of the ELR but it is very amercan in styling. If it got rid of that US-style node then I could like it a lot.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts