Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,046 Posts
This is where the council should step up and put in lamppost chargers. They know there is a demand in this street. Council's have been given funds for this sort of thing.

·
Registered
223 Posts
To be honest that arrangement was just asking for trouble. I'm in the same position as this guy as I can't charge at home but wouldn't dream of running a cable across the pavement without a cable protector and only ever perpendicular to the pavement not along it like he has. We bought our EV because we knew we had a number of rapids near us and relying on a cable across the pavement was never going to be a day-to-day option. A quick search on Zap map show that the nearest rapid is a considerable distance away from Slaithwaite so I wouldn't have bought an EV in his position. Lamp-post chargers don't look like an option for him either as the posts seem to be at the back of the pavement

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
haha - thats ridiculous :)

its not even along the wall and then across at the last minute using a cable tidy.

i'd have no issue with that then - even better if he used a weatherproof one

he should have an external socket fitted near his gate

JJ

·
Leaf lover
4,251 Posts
In the UK we wanted our car industry to succeed but didn't visualise that one day street parking would make driving such a chore.
If only we had said then (1925?) that you could not park on public roads.
Anyway I now see the desire to be able to plug-in off the road as a positive added benefit with greater ev adoption and I wonder if council will start to see it that way and steer clear of on-street charging provisions.
So at this early stage in ev adoption should we change our attitude to where we think we have a right to park?

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
That set up is an unbelievable and dangerous mess! And I don't see that a lamp post charger would be a solution, because if he can't guarantee to park outside his house, how can he guarantee there will be a space next to the lamp post?

And if it's a PHEV he doesn't need to charge at home anyway.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Councils are going to have to make the space outside some houses 'yours' if this is going to work. It would actually stop a lot of arguments on terrace streets.

Reactions: Neilew

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Three extension cables and at least one is still partially wound! What was this person thinking?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Oh dear, Oh dear, Oh dear!

Potty!

Clearly owning an EV is no indicator of intelligence.

The serious point that has already been made above is that this should be a wake-up call to the council to pull their digits out and to install some on-street charging facilities... why not start with that road!!! But since councils are blessed with even less common sense than that EV owner I suspect that nothing will happen as a result.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
I wouldn’t be happy that my council tax goes to providing that one guy a service that I don’t get myself

And why do it on some back street? Do the high street first.

His solution needs to be truly bespoke and funded by him. You can buy charger specific extensions and he could have it flush against the wall then across the pavement with appropriate safety precautions - and with the approval of neighbours.

It’s clearly an article to make a point

JJ

·
Registered
223 Posts
I wouldn’t be happy that my council tax goes to providing that one guy a service that I don’t get myself

And why do it on some back street? Do the high street first.

His solution needs to be truly bespoke and funded by him. You can buy charger specific extensions and he could have it flush against the wall then across the pavement with appropriate safety precautions - and with the approval of neighbours.

It’s clearly an article to make a point

JJ
I don't particularly want my council to pay for me to get a charger on my street as they have more essential things ro spend the money on. I'm more than happy to pay the 25% of the cost not covered by the OLEV grant rather than the local authority. What I DO want is for Surrey to just make a decision as to what their policy is and then let me get on with it. I've been waiting 12 months for them to produce their charging policy for residents without onstreet parking, and then once it's been published this month, I then have to wait another 3 months for the public consultation. Until then, they won't consider any OLEV applications. If the policy is finally approved by the committee in October then they'll only be 5 montsh left on the OLEV grants anyway so I doubt many will get installed at this rate!

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,711 Posts
Bear in mind we may also be stepping, with our opinions, into some sort of neighbourly feud.

Parking on streets is probably the biggest issue for neighbour unrest.

Maybe there is a neighbour (the one he has parked in front of) who is 'the problem' having deliberately parked in front of his house to prevent him from plugging in by some previously implemented 'safe' arrangement with a cable-safe hump.

Being duly disgusted with the ridiculous concept of electric cars, you could imagine someone has forced him to park up the street to prevent him from charging.

The layout of the cables seems so gratuitous that either a) the guy is a Muppet (seems most likely, TBH, but let's think about what else might be behind this) or b) he is trying to 'prove a point' because someone else has tried to 'prove a point' on him by blocking 'his' bit of the street.

People are like that. You should learn about my neighbours ... it's a frikin' 'weirdo-zone' around here, one rule for them parking on the street and, well, errr.. actually only one rule for them because clearly they don't think anyone else should park in front of 'their' house. Oh, yeah, and it's OK that they park their cars longways right across the pavement completely blocking it to wheelchairs..... etc.....

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,711 Posts
But this is exactly my objection to public destination charging, 'period'.

I mean, if they put up a charge point at a local ice rink, then I can't access it (because I fall over on skates .. always been useless at it :( ). What is the difference here if they put up a lamp-post charger in front of his house? I can charge on it, but I might not really want to park there.

That's why I always think that destination chargers should be exclusively funded by the establishments where the visitors at that spot are going to.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Surely part of the cost to use a 'lamp-post' charger will be a contribution to its installation and maintenance costs?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts