Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been in contact with the Mayor of Bristol (where I live) to ask about on street charging, specifically Ubitricity’s lamppost chargers.

A third of the houses in my street now have a driveway. Each year, more and more get converted. As a front garden owner who has an EV, I’m trying to avoid losing my lovely beech hedge, but it feels like creating a drive is the only sensible way ahead.

Has anyone else had any luck with their local council? Are lamppost chargers a realistic option or merely a research project that escaped the lab?

The Mayor replied to explain how they’d invested in 120 public chargers last year. I’ve explained that this is great, but is no replacement for a better near-home AC charging strategy - esp. as EV car ownership really seems to be taking off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also admitted I’ve been experimenting with over-pavement charging to see how they react. There’s no info from BCC that I can find.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,172 Posts
Rather than paying for a dropped kerb, it’s a shame you can’t get a heavy duty drainage channel laid from your gate to the kerb. The Victorian style ones have a slot along the middle, so you could then run the cable through that. It would be in keeping with the local architecture. It’s always a shame when front gardens are dug up for drives that they weren’t designed for. Often the bonnet is just under the lounge bay window and the boot slightly overhangs the pavement. How easy is it to get a parking space directly in front of your house?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Getting a driveway may also reduce your insurance. I find mine brilliant as it is guaranteed parking in front of your house. I did keep some flower beds at the edge so it not a concrete waste land!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It seems any adjustments to the pavement need to be done by contractors with the right accreditation and insurance to avoid problems with public liability

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How easy is it to get a parking space directly in front of your house?
I can park outside my house reliably enough to make it work. Sometimes you just need to be on the ball to spot that the space has freed up.

What's more frustrating is the neighbours with drives who park on the street still!

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'm friendly with most of my neighbors. Have a drive at the front with a charging point and a couple of neighbors with EVs have been told they're welcome to use my charging point if theirs ever goes offline. A lady who works at a care home on my road and drives a Zoe and knows she can charge up at my drive if she ever needs it. I have another drive at the back which a neighbor uses to park his son's car. It would be nice if a neighbor of yours with a drive would let you use their drive occasionally to charge your car as an interim solution but that requires a sense of community spirit.

·
3,172 Posts
Is there any sanction for parking in front of your own drive? I think some just get it done to stop others parking in front of their house.

I believe a dropped kerb has to be done by accredited contractors. Surely it would be a lot cheaper to install cable channels for those who want to charge. Lamppost chargers can be expensive at up to 30p per kWh. If you could have a 16A or 32A charging point just within your boundary, and then safely connect your EV via a channel in the pavement, you could get electricity at your domestic rate.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 22/9/20 (was Prius)
374 Posts
...........Surely it would be a lot cheaper to install cable channels for those who want to charge. Lamppost chargers can be expensive at up to 30p per kWh. If you could have a 16A or 32A charging point just within your boundary, and then safely connect your EV via a channel in the pavement, you could get electricity at your domestic rate.
That cable channel idea makes an awful lot of sense. Haha, so therefore it will likely never be allowed!
Peter

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some lamppost solutions seem able to charge through your home provider, even using a flexible tariff like Octopus Agile.

·
3,172 Posts
Some lamppost solutions seem able to charge through your home provider, even using a flexible tariff like Octopus Agile.

Here’s the char.gy tariff for a 5kW lamppost chargers near me.

79DC88B4-D3C4-4754-AC43-224F5F5C25B0.png

1 - 13 of 13 Posts