Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 38 Premium
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just signed up after many hours of reading in the forums these past weeks.

Currently have an old 2.2L diesel SUV and a 2L petrol hatchback, both utterly reliable and comfortable, but pretty dull and inefficient compared with an EV. I'm getting ready to take out a business lease on an EV and have seen a very good deal on a Zoe R135 GT Line Rapid Charge.

Cost is the major factor as most of our journeys are within 50 miles round trip. Will be the main car though so a decent range and CCS is important. Was considering an id.3 or Kona but the lease deals are nowhere near the Zoe (>£120+VAT/month more). Have read about a few issues on the Zoe forum which have given me 2nd thoughts so was wondering if there are any other options/deals that people are aware of that could fit the bill.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,670 Posts
You were considering a Kona, but have you looked into the Ioniq? They are often available with good deals. Likewise the Nissan LEAF tends to be competitive too, but it has Chademo rather than CCS (This is still rapid charge however - Is there a specific reason for wanting CCS?)

If the Zoe works out the best price, they are perfectly fine as long as you understand that you are getting a small French hatchback and set your expectations appropriately. I drive one and would have no worries about recommending one, especially if it is generally going to be doing less than 50 miles a day. The stories you have probably heard about them are mostly all resolved now with the more recent models to be made so you shouldn't have broken remote services, door leaks, creaking boots or anything like that.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,905 Posts
Have read about a few issues on the Zoe forum which have given me 2nd thoughts so was wondering if there are any other options/deals that people are aware of that could fit the bill.
You’re worried about issues with the Zoe but are considering an ID.3 or Kona?

Right.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 38 Premium
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You’re worried about issues with the Zoe but are considering an ID.3 or Kona?

Right.
You can read then and, I assume, understand that "was" is the past tense of "is/am"? Otherwise, thanks for your helpful post, which would have been more helpful if you'd elaborated, rather than being dismissive.
I'm aware of the issues with the id3 software and efficiency but a friend who has a Kona has had no issues.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Something like 18/80,000 Konas caught fire while charging. The fault has been found, early Konas will get a battery swap/something done. Some day. Early Ioniq 38s used the same battery chem cells as the early Konas, but none of these have caught fire. Packaging & layout of cells is slightly different between Ioniq 38 & Kona 39.

Ioniqs are particularly efficient. My tests of my ID.3 & Ioniq 38 at same speed on same day on same 40 mile motorway trip suggest Ioniq is 10% more efficient than ID.3. Excellent aerodynamics (lower drag, smaller x-section) must be the reason it's better than ID.3, and better than Kona. I reckon the Ioniq 38 will give the ID.3 45 a very good run for its money!

I prefer the (interior &) controls of the Ioniq to the ID.3, so wasn't unhappy to let go of the ID.3! My Ioniq's an early one, so I'll wait for te battery fix & try to limit to 90% SOC charging, as advised by Hyundai. Recent Ioniq 38s are unaffected, but anyone buying 2nd hand should research the build-date & whether theirs is after the solution was found, or not.

Only major drawback of Ioniq 38 is slow charging - 50 kW max to 50% SOC, then drops to 33 then drops more, so something like 1 hour for 20% to 80% SOC, versus 1/2 an hour on ID.3 for same % increase (and more actual charge,and more range added). Minor drawback is 12V battery v fragile, so don't run a radio or stuff while car's not fully on, you'll probably flatten the 12V in 10 minutes! Also not unknown for water to get inside the front door & short the window electrics a bit, that also flattens the battery unexpectedly. Some owners have had the panels removed & the electrics waterproofed to fix this design/mfr problem.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 38 Premium
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's really useful Andy, had only glanced at the Ioniq previously. 38kWh didn't seem enough but hasn't done enough digging obviously. Very interesting to hear about your experience with the id3...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts