Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago I was driving along in my LEAF minding my own business, all of a sudden a guy was flashing his headlights frantically and gave me a lovely hand gesture ☺.

Now the only thing I can think of was he either thought I was a w****r for driving a LEAF or that he thought that my daytime running lights were fog lights.

Anyone else experienced this in their LEAF that people think they are fog lights. I really don't like the lights and I can understand how people could be mistaken.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I've had the odd flash I'm pretty sure has been down to the driving lights - hard to be sure. Not aggressively. It's probably decreased over time as more new cars have adopted a similar approach

Of course I myself get a tad annoyed with drivers running foglights permanently, though it's pretty clear when they're dim vs bright..

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've thought about changing the bulbs for a nicer brighter colour, like some people have done on leaftalk forums. Don't think I'll bother now...

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I am convinced they are a major cause of traffic jams as rear fogs can look like someone braking ahead causing following drivers to brake unnecessarily. GRRRRŔRR! :mad:

·
Registered
536 Posts
They're everywhere, both daytime running lights and plonkers:
Option 1) Totally ignore them and make the assumption that high blood pressure will cause them to calm down at some point in the future (probably the best option)

Option 2) Blow them a kiss - that REALLY winds them up and you're not stooping to their level (careful with this one it really can be dangerous - disclaimer - try at your own risk)

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I think they are mostly just decoration, but some countries do now mandate having lights on all the time. If you don't have DRLs you have to put your headlights on low beam.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Yeah, my old car was built in 2009. About the noise for EVs, when I test drove a Leaf (mine hasn't arrived yet) there was a button to disable that. Seems odd if it's now a directive, to be passed into local law.

·
Registered
731 Posts
It's wasnt law in 2011 my my late 2012 qashqai doesn't have them.

I can't understand why my leaf has LED headlights and incandescent DRL's?? If they were going to the trouble to fit LED headlights surely it wouldn't have been much trouble to fit a nice looking LED DRL!

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I suppose it's a question of it being worth using LEDs for them. We are taking what, 50W Max? Probably less. Compared to what it takes to move the car it's nothing.

LED headlights are brighter, so make sense.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
It depends when the car received Type Approval. If since 2011 it must have DRLs, but you can still buy cars without them (my wife's 2014 registered Mazda 2 doesn't have them).

·
Registered
Leaf 40
866 Posts
As Flipper has said, it' not 'manufactured since 2011' but type approved since. So any vehicle designed prior to that date can still be sold but does not have to have DRL's. My wife's Qashqai is a 2013 model but lacks DRLs as the basic design was approved before the legislation. And it is required by law for new vehicles approved on or after 7 Feb 2011 must have DRLs.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
DRL's are not just to warn pedestrians. They are aimed mainly at other vehicle drivers, by ensuring that cars are visible to in those half light situation. In not sure of the dates, but the British Army started to require that its fleet was driven with dipped headlights at all times back in the 1950-60's. Their crash rate dropped dramatically. (and I don't mean with Tanks). Many other fleet operators have introduced DLR's for the same reason. Many countries require DLR's , the UK as with most road safety issues is years behind the rest.
AS for hand signals, since every Richard Head can obtain a licence what do you expect.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I suppose it's a question of it being worth using LEDs for them. We are taking what, 50W Max? Probably less. Compared to what it takes to move the car it's nothing.

LED headlights are brighter, so make sense.
I think you've missed my point. If they were going to the trouble of designing LED headlights surely LED DRL's should have been a "no brainer" and fitted as standard.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I think you've missed my point. If they were going to the trouble of designing LED headlights surely LED DRL's should have been a "no brainer" and fitted as standard.
I suppose it's just down to cost. LED headlights have a real, practical advantage, but it's not worth spending much on the DRLs. IIRC only the Tekna has LED headlights as standard, so if they were matched with LED DRLs then they would have to be redesigned too.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts