Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone own an Mg 5swev? As I've only seen people have ordered them like myself or seen them on YouTube.

If so, how are you finding it?

Thanks

Sent from my NX629J using Tapatalk

·
Registered
437 Posts
I've not heard of anyone in the UK receiving their MG5 yet, or at least no one on the MG EV Facebook group has announced it so far. I think the first batch are supposed to be hitting the dealers any time now. Mine is apparently still 'on the sea' and expected on 1 January.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What colour have you gone for?
Any worries about the car? I noticed the battery button has no function and no timers like my leaf, but the range seems worth the money. To some people I would thinks it worth buying as a donor for another car with the size of battery.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome, mine is due 18th of Jan and I've ordered it in blue even though I never seen it in the metal. The red was nice but the wife said no to a 2nd red car.

·
Registered
MG5 EV / Zoe ZE50 R135
28 Posts
The dealer vehicle was white but I've gone for black - my last two Mondeo estates were black so why change!?

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
If you want a guarantee of seeing one, request an Uber in 6 months 😂

·
Registered
437 Posts
What colour have you gone for?
Any worries about the car? I noticed the battery button has no function and no timers like my leaf, but the range seems worth the money. To some people I would thinks it worth buying as a donor for another car with the size of battery.

I went for silver, purely because that's the colour the dealer had pre-ordered.

The only worries I have are around the slow cold weather rapid charging issues that the ZS is having and the way it stops charging when you unlock the doors. Having spent many hours hanging around in a Leaf, often coming and going, running the heating and listening to music etc. I'm a little concerned that the MG will not be so user friendly.

It seemed to play ok with my Zappi with the brief test I was able to do, apart from when I unlocked the doors, but I'm not 100% convinced that the car will work properly with stop-start charging where the Leaf was faultless in this regard.

Maybe a slight concern about the general MG culture around ownership of issues and transparency. Possibly this is a cultural difference, but Nissan seemed very helpful at the slightest whiff of a warranty issue whereas I've read some less than flattering things about MG.

Oh, and the roof rails thing is a bit ridiculous.

Still, I'll keep banging on about it. The MG5 is just so much cheaper than any other EV with similar range. I was looking at the e208 and the Zoe ZE50 even though they are far too small for comfort but neither could come close. You can get a white MG5 Excite for around £21,000. The cheapest Zoe with rapid charging I could find was over £3000 more and the e208 even more expensive.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I spoke to my dealer today. My car is in the country but he doesn't know exactly when it will arrive with them. They are closed from 23 December until 4 January, so I expect it won't be until the new year. I'm not sure if having a 2021 registration date will make any difference to the resale value but maybe that's a silver lining to having to wait.

Confirmed that it will get green number plates. No mention of the roof rails debacle; I think I won't mention it until after I take delivery, then act shocked and see if I can haggle some other accessories to compensate.

It's costing about £80 to switch my insurance from my old diesel for the remaining 6 months. My current policy was the cheapest I've ever paid so it is indicative of an annual premium of around £300 for the MG5; not too bad really.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Drove the MG5 yesterday done “few” miles and im a bit disappointed with range to be honest. Done 90 miles on motorway on eco/normal mode with heating on 21C and cruise on at 71mph. The rest of the miles drive around London and our town even drove around 15miles without heating . Nearly 143 miles with 19 remaining which is not even close to 200miles despite they claim 214 miles combine driving and even more around the town. Outside temperature range between 3-8 C
Any thoughts to improve the range ?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I picked mine up it said 175 miles, it seems that is the winter miles. I've only driven about 250 miles so there will of been no adjustments plus I've only driven on national speed limit roads so far. Better than my leaf and soul 30.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Drove the MG5 yesterday done “few” miles and im a bit disappointed with range to be honest. Done 90 miles on motorway on eco/normal mode with heating on 21C and cruise on at 71mph. The rest of the miles drive around London and our town even drove around 15miles without heating . Nearly 143 miles with 19 remaining which is not even close to 200miles despite they claim 214 miles combine driving and even more around the town. Outside temperature range between 3-8 C
Any thoughts to improve the range ?
View attachment 139521
You'll get maybe 10% more range by turning the heating down to 18 and setting the cruise to 67. You could probably also add a couple of percent by inflating the tyres a little more, but use discretion as it will lessen the grip slightly.

You won't get 200 miles at motorway speeds in winter, but could get 175 by being more conservative. You just have to adjust your driving style to suit the length of your journey. No point hypermileing if you're not driving close to the maximum range.

The simple truth is that the battery is ~ 20% less efficient at 0 degrees than at 20 degrees and the resistive heater is pretty inefficient. Air resistance increases at the square of velocity so reducing speed also has a big impact. If you can find a coach to follow on the motorway then you're laughing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts