Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

On the whole impressed

3K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  Fatbloke 
#1 ·
Having took delivery a few weeks ago I'm pretty happy with the car, my only complaints are:

Equalisation - its taking 2-6 hours ish depending on how much battery was used. Something I don't understand is... the range an volts aren't dropping so I assume by now I'm semi safe and have the BMS with the equalisation issues but not the range, though where as I had read regen doesn't kick in for a while on this BMS due to it having nowhere to go mine starts kicking in within the first mile, there's nothing right at the very start but pretty much as soon as I get out of the street it starts kicking in, not sure whats going on there?

Not sure if its pilot or lane keep but whichever finds the lines and keeps you within them... when it works is great but its worrying when it doesn't, a few times now I've been going along both lines lit up then on a slight curve it totally ignores it and would go into the other lane if I didn't stop it (I've tested this and it does as I suspected) it isn't often but that in itself is an issue as it gives people a false sense.

Other than that its all been good... consistently showing 456v - 176 to 178 miles, I did a 146 mile round trip on Tuesday which was mostly 50-70mph with the air con on the whole way (crazy for March) and it came in at only 11 miles out when comparing start GOM to actual miles which I'm happy with, the Leaf GOM was nothing but fantasy once you hit high speeds.

See less See more
#2 ·
456v tells us your not on the latest BMS. If its not dropping off each charge your probably not on the ropey one but the earlier one. Have you bought a 1 year old car by chance?

The latest BMS update give good regen at high SOC (fully charged). (y)

Does your car Bong Bong on start up or Pling? You might be on the old Comfort update. The lane keep with MG Pilot seems much improved on the latest one.

Reactions: Maxit
#8 ·
Have you bought a 1 year old car by chance?

The latest BMS update give good regen at high SOC (fully charged). (y)

Does your car Bong Bong on start up or Pling? You might be on the old Comfort update. The lane keep with MG Pilot seems much improved on the latest one.
No its a new car, I agree it seems like its the BMS before the "ropey" range limiting one, its just strange I get regen at high SOC (maybe it isn't strange just I had read this doesn't happen until the latest BMS)

Its also comfort 2, at least I assume it is... no majorly annoying bongs and can charge with the door open.

#4 ·
Pilot is designed for motorway use only - although it will traffic follow at low speed in the absence of lines, it has a penchant for trying to mount the car in front!

The disengages are rare and not really an issue as it has a disengage noise. A lot of earlier systems didn’t.

#5 ·
I used traffic following just once, never had any mounting issues. :ROFLMAO: But listening to the mechanical brakes scrape and drag as it stopped was horrible, so I've not used it since.

MG Pilot does seem pretty decent now. In my last trip it dropped the line markings once, it was on a particular stretch I thought it might. Although well defined the road has a long sweeping curve with the camber all wrong (Heading north off Queensferry crossing), low bright sun as I rounded the corner too. I was holding the wheel (as your supposed to) and it dropped for perhaps 1 second. Which would have been interesting if I wasn't holding wheel (but unlikely to cause accident).

Reactions: Maxit and TJEV
#6 ·
I never experienced a disengage on normal motorway use, it was great. I only had it try to mount traffic in a jam once - it was dark, the car in front was bright white, it did stop with some room to spare every time but only after half the car had disappeared below the end of the bonnet.

#7 ·
Yeah, it can be a bit hairy if you set the gap to stop the numpty jumping in to the gap in front of you. Have had my heart in my mouth a couple of times.

Reactions: Maxit and TJEV
#11 ·
Yeah that never happened to me. Sounds like a disengage with no alert... no bongs etc when it occurs? Is it on a section where there are things that could be lines to a contrast-based vision system but aren’t, so dark concrete where lines have been tarmac’d over that go in a different direction to weak white lines etc?

#12 · (Edited)
Its definitely not disengaging, I obviously see it isn't responding as it should so check and both lines are still lit up... I tested it once thinking maybe I'm just being too jumpy, not giving it time to respond and adjust but no it just ignored the line went off course followed by the alert noise. As I say it isn't often but its happened enough to be worth mentioning, I've not noticed any consistencies but maybe there is.

EDIT: it may be disengaging, I just meant the 2 lines stay lit up until it goes off course.

#23 ·
Easy to diagnose - try at 55-60 in the left lane next time. I’d say it’s most likely that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.