Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Why are EV manufacturers not getting their vehicles type approved for towing? OK towing a trailer will bite into the range, but if I could get to the tip and back on a full charge (10-15 miles and I doubt towing a trailer would bite into my 24kWh Leaf's range that much) that would suit me OK. As it is, having a trailer is requiring my wife to keep an ICE for such occasional trips.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Why are EV manufacturers not getting their vehicles type approved for towing?
Probably cost. These are expensive enough already and so far in relatively low numbers. Few people want a tow bar anyway, so very few of these cars would use one. Getting the approvals for those few would add extra cost to all but proportionally quite a lot to to the low numbers.
Once they are mainstream I expect they will start to get them approved.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Anything less than high volume generally doesnt get type approved. The more powerful ICE variants for example, Seat Leon Cupra and Mondeo XT220 are apparently not type approved, its just not worth the manufacturer's costs to get it done.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Do you mean home chargers or public chargers?

Where you have a 22Kw public post it is usually also rectified into DC with CCS or Chademo options. To make use of a 3 phase charger at home you'd need a car that can make use of it plus an expensive charge point, and really you dont need home charging to be that fast.

Do you have a car in mind or is this a DIY build? Would help to give you more concrete information about your situation.

Cheers.
Vast majority of Scottish AC public chargers are 3 phase 22kW, presumably for reasons of future proofing and because other 3 phase ratings would be non standard

·
Registered
487 Posts
I need something with tow bar, and I,m looking at the polestar or volvo. Dont see any of the smaller cars with tow bar. Sat in the new 208gt the other day. Nice little car. But no towbar. 20k for petrol and over 30 for ev. Yikes. I think I read the id3s only able to put bike rack on its tow bar.
How Johnny public will get their heads round , this sort of stuff and this charging malarkey, is beyond me.
Why are EV manufacturers not getting their vehicles type approved for towing? OK towing a trailer will bite into the range, but if I could get to the tip and back on a full charge (10-15 miles and I doubt towing a trailer would bite into my 24kWh Leaf's range that much) that would suit me OK. As it is, having a trailer is requiring my wife to keep an ICE for such occasional trips.
The Tesla Model 3 can be ordered with a tow bar as can the Model X

·
Registered
85 Posts
Zoe isnt approved for towing but Clio towbars fit and unlikely any plod will know - for occasional trips to beach or garden trailer it shouldn't be an issue but really depends what you want from a car and what you want to spend.
This is really bad advice.

If the VIN plate of the vehicle doesn't show a Gross Train Weight then the vehicle is not homologated to tow and it's illegal to do so. If stopped or involved in an accident this would be simple for the police to check, you are also uninsured.

·
Super Moderator
11,261 Posts
I presume there are cars that can take advantage of 22kw chargers then?
Renault Zoe. May be an option on others...but not many
22kW 3𝛟AC was an option on Tesla Model S and is standard on Renault Zoe. 43kW 3𝛟AC is optional on Zoe.

So are the early 22kw public chargers only able to charge at the rate of the onboard chargers. Not sure why folk are going for 3 phase 22kw chargers if their cars are n't up to it?
The car picks the highest rate that is compatible with the car, the post and the charge lead.

22kW 3𝛟 is 32Amps per phase. An EV with a single phase charger will only charge from 1 phase. They can't be combined. So if someone rolls up to a 22kW post in a 6.6kW LEAF, their car will get full power from the charger.

11kW 3𝛟 is 16Amps per phase. A LEAF with the optional 30A 6.6kW charger will only charge at 3.6kW from this post. Most current Japanese and Korean EVs have 7kW 1𝛟 on-board. As far as I know they all charge at 3.6kW from an 11kW post.

Most German EVs and Teslas have 11kW 3𝛟 on board.

There is little cost difference an 11kW 16Amp post and a 22kW 32Amp post.

Larger batteries are coming. We are close to the point where 7kW is not enough to fully recharge an EV in 8 hours. 11kW and 22kW on-board chargers are going to be common in future EVs.

·
Super Moderator
11,261 Posts
Also check the charging specs very closely - some max charging rates for on board chargers are 3 phase only and public chargers can be single phase, something like a Mercedes B250e for example has to have 3 phase to hit its max charge rate, some people are surprised when they plug into a public charger and its charging at 7kw when the on board charger's max is more than this.
The B250e on-board charger charges at 3.6kW on 1-𝛟 and 11kW on 3-𝛟.

11kW EVs all have 3 16Amp chargers, one for each phase. Most of them are able to tie two chargers in parallel when plugged into a 7kW post.

That means most 11kW cars will charge at 7kW from a 7kW post.

The B250e is the odd one. Tesla did the EV system for them on contract and did not implement switching two chargers in parallel. They also did not enable supercharger access. We may never know what went on between Mercedes and Tesla.

·
Registered
896 Posts
11kW EVs all have 3 16Amp chargers, one for each phase.
That's very hard to believe - the only difference between a single and 3-phase charger is the front-end that converts AC to DC. From then on it's identical. It would be very wasteful and unduly costly to implement a full charger per phase.
The cost per kW rating is mostly determined by the back-end DC-DC conversion circuitry, so having an 11kW charger that does 16A 3-phase for 11kW as well as 32A 1-phase for 7kW is a fairly low cost over one that was limited to 16A single-phase.
In the UK at least, 3-phase home supplies are not common, so I can't see any manufacturer being able to get away with supplying an OBC that couldn't do 7kW single-phase.

·
Registered
497 Posts
The B250e can do 7kw single phase, above that you need 3 phase but seems like on 3 phase it uses 16A for a total of about 10kw.

Not sure what other cars use 3 phase charging other than the Zoe, and that does 22 or 43Kw anyhow.

Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
11,261 Posts
That's very hard to believe - the only difference between a single and 3-phase charger is the front-end that converts AC to DC. From then on it's identical. It would be very wasteful and unduly costly to implement a full charger per phase.
Here is the wiring diagram for a UK spec i3 with 11kW AC on-board. Sorry about the poor quality. I've got a better one at work...

X904 on the bottom right is the charge socket. The 4 lines at the top are L1,L2,L3 and N AC. The two at the bottom are CCS DC.

All three phases go into the KLE module. There are two 16Amp chargers inside the KLE. They are the two blocks at the top of the KLE. There is a switch inside the KLE that connects two chargers in parallel when the car is connected to 32A single phase.

The EME is to the left of the KLE. The EME is the electric machine electronics. In plain english it is the inverter for the traction motor. A third 16 Amp charger is integrated into the EME. The car is reusing part of the inverter as a charger.

When the car charges at 16A, 10A or 6A single phase, one charger is used.
When the car is on 32A single phase, the two chargers in the KLE are used, connected in parallel

When the car is charging from 3 phase power all three chargers are used, one charger per phase.

THe output from the two chargers in the KLE are connected in parallel and then go to the EME. The traction battery is connected at the top of the EME in the diagram.

·
Super Moderator
11,261 Posts
The B250e can do 7kw single phase, ab
Only if you hack it. Unmodifed the car charges at 3.6kW on single phase. THere is a long thread on the B250e section.

The car does not put the internal chargers in parallel. People have hacked the car by jumping two phases together. This works but will short out a 3-phase charger. It is also possible to hack your home charger and connect L1 and L2 at the charger.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts