Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a leaf 40 with a 6kw onboard charge and have been charging it at home on a podpoint charger for the last year. Tomorrow I will be confirming our order for the new PEUGEOT e-2008 and want to take the 11kw onboard charger option to be able to charge faster when out and about but will this also be fine with our podpoint but just take the 6kw instead of the 11kw it is capable of ?

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
11 kW is a 3-phase supply at 3.6 kW on each phase, so you'll need to be sure that your Type-2 cable IS a 3-phase one. We think that pretty-much all these Evs coming out now with the 11 kW option have 3 charger modules inside the car, and self-configure themselves acc to the supply they detect coming in. So if offered a 7 kW single phase supply, then 2 of the charger units jump on that phase together and the 3rd unit is unused, so you get the 7 kW rate.
So if ordered with just the 7kW option, you get a car with just 2 of the 3.6 kW charger units inside, fine for domestic chargers that most of us have, but cannot take advantage of any 3-phase EVSEs around.

Bottom line - we think you'll be fine, and should get as much as your podpoint can offer.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the fast reply. I’m in Northern Ireland which has next to no rapids but almost every on street charger is 22kw so thought the £300 11kw onboard charger option would be a huge time saver, I would hope the car is supplied with a 3 phase cable if we order the upgraded charger, I just wanted to be sure we could plug it into our podpoint as a lot of our charging will be done overnight at home.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Is the car even supplied with a Type 2 cable at all? Plenty just have the "granny" EVSE, 13A plug and usually 10A max charging - and that's it. If it's available as an option, check the cost against say what evconnectors.com for e.g. have for sale.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The website says the opposite actually, they don’t supply a granny charger (our leaf one is still in the bag lol) it’s an optional extra, it’s does come with the type 2 cable though and I’d hope it’s a 3 phase cable if upgrading the cars charger to 11kw.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do want a cable that can be used on both the leaf and the 2008 am I right in thinking this would have to be a 3 phase, 32amp cable ?

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
11 kW is a 3-phase supply at 3.6 kW on each phase, so you'll need to be sure that your Type-2 cable IS a 3-phase one. We think that pretty-much all these Evs coming out now with the 11 kW option have 3 charger modules inside the car, and self-configure themselves acc to the supply they detect coming in. So if offered a 7 kW single phase supply, then 2 of the charger units jump on that phase together and the 3rd unit is unused, so you get the 7 kW rate.
So if ordered with just the 7kW option, you get a car with just 2 of the 3.6 kW charger units inside, fine for domestic chargers that most of us have, but cannot take advantage of any 3-phase EVSEs around.

Bottom line - we think you'll be fine, and should get as much as your podpoint can offer.
I'm not sure that is correct. An earlier post on a different thread gave the opposite view claiming that the 3 phase option would limit the car to 3.6 kW on single phase before another post disagreed. Ask for it in writing before signing on the bottom line and don't take the dealers word for it - clearly at least one is going to be wrong.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
If you look at the calculator here Peugeot e 2008 it implies that the 3 phase car will charge at 7kW on a single phase 32 Amp supply and 11kW on 11 and 22 kW 3 phase supplies. This would make sense and is I believe how other makes with 3 phase 11kW chargers work on 32A single phase supplies.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think Spiny is right, I've found this chart which I think confirms my podpoint which is on a 30amp spare in the garage will charge the car at 7kw.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
That looks pretty definitive - the 3.7 kw units reconfigure themselves in the best possible combo. If you go for the 11 kW option then Peugot must provide a 3-phase cable for you. No question. And that 3-phase at 3.7 amps per phase is common on the continent, so on that basis I'd expect a 3-phase cable to be standard, even if you go for the 7 kW cheaper option. But there's a slight possibility that they could save a few pennies by going for a single-phase cable - this would mean a different part number of course. But I can see that causing confusion later on, with dealers not knowing the difference etc, so I rather doubt they'll try it on! Would be useful to get it confirmed by the dealer that the Type-2 cable number is the same, whether you order the 7 or 11 kW option.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
There is a possibility a 16A 3phase may be supplied with the 3phase charger version which would limit the single phase charge to 3.5kW (16A) It would be worth confirming they are supplying a 32 A 3phase cable.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On a side note i was flicking through the manual and noticed it says the battery capacity is 56kwh ??? I thought the 208 and 2008 had the same battery but i guess not.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: I’ve just heard back from dealer that if you order the 11kw charger your car will be supplied with a 3 phase 16 amp cable.
Time to go cable shopping then:rolleyes:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep people will be using their grants plus £300ish to have the partnered podpoint installed to find out they need to go buy a £200 cable to get 7kw from it, the 3 phase cables don't come cheap.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Hmm, post #9 above shows that from a 7 kW EVSE, the 11 kW option Ev can charge at 7kW, i.e. 32A on one phase. If Joe Public finds his 11 kW Ev won't manage this out-of-the box, I think he has a very strong case to take Peugot to court & sue for the correct cable to be provided. Especially if that chart is Peugot-originated info. Clearly a 16A cable is going to be not fit for purpose.

Is it possible they're doing a kind-of hybrid cable with thicker 32A cables for the (2) single phase wires, and the extra 2 needed to make it into 3-phase are only rated 16A? That would work, save a bit of cost of copper, and weigh a bit less as well - a win-win.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess Peugeot could argue they don’t know what charging setup the end user will have at home so they supply the cheapest cable that will allow the car to charge at 11kw on the public network.
I just want to have one long cable at home so I can charge either car on the drive without the need to swap cables or move the cars around, to that end I managed to find a used 7.5m 3 phase 32 amp cable on eBay so I’m sorted now.
My Leaf cable will stay in Leaf boot, Peugeot cable can stay in Peugeot boot, and new long cable on drive (y)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Hmm, post #9 above shows that from a 7 kW EVSE, the 11 kW option Ev can charge at 7kW, i.e. 32A on one phase. If Joe Public finds his 11 kW Ev won't manage this out-of-the box, I think he has a very strong case to take Peugot to court & sue for the correct cable to be provided. Especially if that chart is Peugot-originated info. Clearly a 16A cable is going to be not fit for purpose.

Is it possible they're doing a kind-of hybrid cable with thicker 32A cables for the (2) single phase wires, and the extra 2 needed to make it into 3-phase are only rated 16A? That would work, save a bit of cost of copper, and weigh a bit less as well - a win-win.
I don't think that can be done sensibly - a resistor in the cable tells the car the cable current rating, and I don't think there is a defined value for "16 or 32 depending on supply", so it has to be all 16 or all 32, otherwise it would overload the 2 16A phases if used to charge a car that can do 22kW

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Absolutely. If teh car is advertised as being able to do 7kW single-phase, the supplied cable should support it.
Though I think there are some manufacturers that don't supply any type 2 cable at all...

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Ok, so we understand the discrepancy between the single phase charging rates - the 3 phase cable is the limit.
Absolutely. If teh car is advertised as being able to do 7kW single-phase, the supplied cable should support it.
Though I think there are some manufacturers that don't supply any type 2 cable at all...
Sorry - I don't agree. The EVSE only charges at ~ 2 kW and is considered fit for purpose, the 3 phase cable charges at 11 kW on 3 phase so is also fit for purpose. If you have chosen that option why should they provide something different to allow you to maximise charging on single phase as well? That would be considerably heavier and stiffer (and hence harder to use), and of rare benefit for people who may mainly have access to 3 phase. Arguably it would be better to have a third cable for 7 kW single phase than compromise the 3 phase cable and people can choose which of the 3 cables to carry when, and the only remaining issue is who pays for it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts