Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Renault Zoe R110 (ZE40)
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know I work with a fairly large fleet of EVs. I was approached this morning by Allstar, who we have a contract with for fuel cards in our ICE and PHEV vehicles who were offering their new EV Charging solution. I thought it would be of interest to some here, since it looks like we're finally starting to get communication between different charging networks meaning we don't need to carry around so many memberships cards in future.

Currently it's only GeniePoint, Engenie, Source London, Alfa Power and ESB. So it's not a realistic option for me to go with yet. But if they can get a few of the big names like Chargepoint and Polar on board, and even better get app-only networks like Ecotricity and Pod Point to enable their RFID readers for this (which I feel is going to be necessary when it comes to company cars needing to charge) they could be onto something good here.

Hopefully we see something similar for personal use too.

·
Registered
16,839 Posts
There are too many charging networks with their own card.

So what we need is another network with another card.

I mean, we can’t just let people turn up and pay for their charge with a debit card. That would be weird!

·
Registered
410 Posts
I mean, we can’t just let people turn up and pay for their charge with a debit card. That would be weird!
I prefer having both options, as the operator has much lower overheads with per monthly charging than per tap charging of a debit/credit card. Hopefully most of the time these savings are passed on as a lower price per unit paid.

·
Registered
46 Posts
As some of you may know I work with a fairly large fleet of EVs. I was approached this morning by Allstar, who we have a contract with for fuel cards in our ICE and PHEV vehicles who were offering their new EV Charging solution. I thought it would be of interest to some here, since it looks like we're finally starting to get communication between different charging networks meaning we don't need to carry around so many memberships cards in future.

Currently it's only GeniePoint, Engenie, Source London, Alfa Power and ESB. So it's not a realistic option for me to go with yet. But if they can get a few of the big names like Chargepoint and Polar on board, and even better get app-only networks like Ecotricity and Pod Point to enable their RFID readers for this (which I feel is going to be necessary when it comes to company cars needing to charge) they could be onto something good here.

Hopefully we see something similar for personal use too.
Talking about personal use - we are doing something similar for B2C customers. But we actually don't have an RFID card and instead turn your phone into the RFID card. You connect your credit/debit card to your phone (like Google and Apple Pay) and are able to pay contactless even without card readers on the stations. You can find some more information here.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

You see that's where I am different. I have a Chargepoint RFID card for example rather than using my credit card. Wherever possible I'll use RFID (but not an app) because its easier to keep track of my spending and usage, and it also doesn't destroy my bank account/credit card limit with loads of pending transactions where the charging network did a pre-auth which will sit there for a week or so and I'm left scratching my head not knowing how much is actually left in my bank account, especially on weeks where I'm all over the country and charging constantly.

I can see why some people want the simplicity of using a credit or debit card and I definitely want to see that. But for people like me, businesses with company cars who want a simple fuel card solution, or people who don't have a contactless bank card I think this is equally important. Not to mention that this model can sometimes be cheaper since there's not loads of low value card transactions but rather one monthly invoice to settle.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ecotricity chargers don't have RFID readers. (Well, there are one or two fast charge points left in the country, but no rapid chargers.)
ALL of Ecotricity rapid chargers have RFID card readers. They're just covered with a QR Code sticker. I used to use them with a CYC card all the time before they went app-only.

·
Registered
130 Posts

When it comes to company fleet vehicles (especially vans and trucks) it is common to have a fuel card rather than a credit card to pay for fuel (and oil, car washes, etc.). I am not surprised that Allstar (who have the biggest market share in fuel cards) are creating their own EV fuel card. There are big benefits to companies as they can control exactly what the card is used for (fuel only) and not have to deal with lots of expense claims (as the billing is all consolidated). Fuel cards are essentially closed network credit cards... I imagine Allstar have gone down the RFID route for the moment as the charging networks themselves haven't yet standardised on using a bank card. I imagine Allstar would have preferred to use their existing cards rather than go down the RFID route and I imagine we will see this in the future as more rapids are contactless by default.

For consumers though, we definitely need it to just be contactless with bank/credit cards.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts

I know it's been posted before but it was too good an opportunity to miss

·
Registered
208 Posts
If only there was a card that most people already had in their wallets, which was already used for NFC/contactless payments to buy goods or services, that is easily compatible with all existing charge points' interfaces...

Utter madness that any kind of special apps or cards are needed. Debit and credit cards already exist.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
ALL of Ecotricity rapid chargers have RFID card readers. They're just covered with a QR Code sticker. I used to use them with a CYC card all the time before they went app-only.
Several months after they went app-only I tried to charge at the M6-toll services and found the charger was still insisting on a card. They'd stuck the QR code sticker on but forgotten to reprogram it.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Several months after they went app-only I tried to charge at the M6-toll services and found the charger was still insisting on a card. They'd stuck the QR code sticker on but forgotten to reprogram it.
I believe they did reprogram them, but when it lost it's network connection rather than dropping to the free vend state we now have, it would revert to local authorisation from a RFID Card. I saw a few others that behaved that way in this state despte using the app on the exact same charger to pay maybe a week or so prior when it did have a network connection. Honestly I preferred when it was set up this way even if it was purely accidental. Free vend right now makes it way too easy for someone else to stop your charge.

·
Registered
410 Posts
If only there was a card that most people already had in their wallets, which was already used for NFC/contactless payments to buy goods or services, that is easily compatible with all existing charge points' interfaces...

Utter madness that any kind of special apps or cards are needed. Debit and credit cards already exist.
I've quoted myself to save time writing the same thing again. You need to blame the middle companies who process the payments, as the fees are still high which eats into the profits and may even make the business less feasible.

I prefer having both options, as the operator has much lower overheads with per monthly charging than per tap charging of a debit/credit card. Hopefully most of the time these savings are passed on as a lower price per unit paid.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have been speaking to my boss regards an electric delivery van quite a few coming out soon. We currently have fuel card for Tesco/Morrisons and travel approx 180-220 miles a day.
The stumbling block is getting a rapid en route which would be billed monthly. Pod point would be the nearest charger that is fairly reliable with geniepoint a close second neither of which AFAIK offer company fuel cards.
Another drawback for ev take up.
The only option I can think of is a company credit card with a £100 limit to be kept with each van.
We are only a small business but have approx 20 MB citan/vito vans running shortish trips daily the diesel and maintenance cost savings would be huge.
Include the OLEV van grant and write offs its a win win.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The stumbling block is getting a rapid en route which would be billed monthly. Pod point would be the nearest charger that is fairly reliable with geniepoint a close second neither of which AFAIK offer company fuel cards.
While fact checking my post above, I noticed that the Allstar card covers GeniePoint. There is also the Shell EV card covering Shell Recharge points if you have any of those close by.

There are some very interesting vans coming out... I was reading about the Arrival EV vans earlier today.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I deliver pharmaceuticals to care homes across Yorkshire and pass pod point (app) daily so that would be the preferred stop. Genie point not daily but can use debit/credit card.
From the company view its just a bit to much trouble to switch and getting other drivers on board would be challenging.
Fully prepared to be the guinea pig

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
getting other drivers on board would be challenging.
I suspect that once they sample the quiet and absence of clutch and gear changing they might be less resistant that they say now.
Probably worth getting one and sharing it around a bit.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,925 Posts
Shell card also covers some other networks as it's just new motion. It bills monthly after a massive delay.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts