Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and just a quick overview of how it's been.

Ordered pre-Covid but didn't get the car (ZE50 GT Line) until early August. We've done over 1700 miles in our first month, which is pretty much what it will do every month. It does a 62 mile round trip commute weekdays mostly on motorway and we've been visiting in Dundee a few times, a 160 mile round trip on motorway/dual - we found 65mph to be our most comfortable speed. The car does Dundee and back no problem and we charge it every couple of days during the week for the commute. We're getting 3.2 mi/kWh based on what the charger says it is putting in. The car itself reports around 4.0 mi/kWh but we usually have either heating or AC on and the charging efficiency seems to be around 85% at 7kW.

Charging has been a breeze - 7kW BP Charge Master unit at home works every time. Programmed timing doesn't seem to be working, so we're using postponed timing which is fine for now. We paid for one CCS rapid in Dundee on our first trip just to try it and it worked fine. We've used a few Charge Place Scotland 7 and 22 kW posts, mostly with no problem (and free!) just a couple that failed although if we had hung around a couple of minutes and tried again (which allowed us to save a charging session last time out) then we might have succeeded. The 22kW posts are great as you get a good whack of charge in an hour which is just a nice time for a bit of shopping and a stroll. The cost of leccy per mile is about 1/3 of our ICE (3.3 vs 10p per mile) and we're not even on a super-cheap tariff, 11.7 ppkWh on EDF's EV tariff.

The car itself is lovely to drive - I love pulling away from bigger cars while going up one particularly steep hill on the road to Dundee :) . I've learned that B mode on the motorway gives a too-jerky driving experience, but is fine in slower traffic. The extra road clearance compared to our previous cars is great as it means we can bump over our kerb without grinding it! I'm 6'3" tall, but have no problem with the driving position and plenty of headroom in the front. My wife, who does the commute, loves the heated seats and says they'll make the winter a bit easier to bear!

The only niggles are:
1. Cricky boot (booked to see dealer)
2. Programmed charging (booked to see dealer)
3. Preconditioning (waiting with the rest of the Zoe world...)

No leaks I'm glad to say as we're in Scotland! Ditto for lack of misting when it's wet , which is equally important!

Overall, we both feel we've bought the right car.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,120 Posts
Hilltoon road? Even my old Q210 would show a clean pair of heels to the average motor there, mainly I think down to the low down torque and it being an auto. Most ICE are revving to just pull away and get moving?

I lived in Dundee for a number of years, long before EVs became the norm though. Back in Fife now where the chargers are still free (temporarily at least).

Based on your Dundee 160mile trip I presume your over the West coast? Sturgeons announcement hasn't impacted you has it?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crossing the Earn on the A9 heading north. My old ICE runs out of puff at the top of that while the Zoe just chews it up! Dundee lives up to its reputation as a good place to drive an EV though.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Dundee lives up to its reputation as a good place to drive an EV though.
Especially if your a resident and still get free charging, also free parking in council car parks :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Especially if your a resident and still get free charging, also free parking in council car parks :)
Never seen so many smug taxi drivers as the ones in their Leafs when I was trying out the rapid charger!

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 R135 GT-Line with CCS in Aconite
11 Posts
...and just a quick overview of how it's been.

Ordered pre-Covid but didn't get the car (ZE50 GT Line) until early August. We've done over 1700 miles in our first month, which is pretty much what it will do every month. It does a 62 mile round trip commute weekdays mostly on motorway and we've been visiting in Dundee a few times, a 160 mile round trip on motorway/dual - we found 65mph to be our most comfortable speed. The car does Dundee and back no problem and we charge it every couple of days during the week for the commute. We're getting 3.2 mi/kWh based on what the charger says it is putting in. The car itself reports around 4.0 mi/kWh but we usually have either heating or AC on and the charging efficiency seems to be around 85% at 7kW.

Charging has been a breeze - 7kW BP Charge Master unit at home works every time. Programmed timing doesn't seem to be working, so we're using postponed timing which is fine for now. We paid for one CCS rapid in Dundee on our first trip just to try it and it worked fine. We've used a few Charge Place Scotland 7 and 22 kW posts, mostly with no problem (and free!) just a couple that failed although if we had hung around a couple of minutes and tried again (which allowed us to save a charging session last time out) then we might have succeeded. The 22kW posts are great as you get a good whack of charge in an hour which is just a nice time for a bit of shopping and a stroll. The cost of leccy per mile is about 1/3 of our ICE (3.3 vs 10p per mile) and we're not even on a super-cheap tariff, 11.7 ppkWh on EDF's EV tariff.

The car itself is lovely to drive - I love pulling away from bigger cars while going up one particularly steep hill on the road to Dundee :) . I've learned that B mode on the motorway gives a too-jerky driving experience, but is fine in slower traffic. The extra road clearance compared to our previous cars is great as it means we can bump over our kerb without grinding it! I'm 6'3" tall, but have no problem with the driving position and plenty of headroom in the front. My wife, who does the commute, loves the heated seats and says they'll make the winter a bit easier to bear!

The only niggles are:
1. Cricky boot (booked to see dealer)
2. Programmed charging (booked to see dealer)
3. Preconditioning (waiting with the rest of the Zoe world...)

No leaks I'm glad to say as we're in Scotland! Ditto for lack of misting when it's wet , which is equally important!

Overall, we both feel we've bought the right car.
For the programmed charging, I use the BP Smartcharge app to program the wall unit charging schedule rather than the car which works well. It also gives the history of all your charges from the unit if of interest

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For the programmed charging, I use the BP Smartcharge app to program the wall unit charging schedule rather than the car which works well. It also gives the history of all your charges from the unit if of interest
Yeah, good call. I tried that as well and it didn't work (probably me doing something wrong though). Weather hasn't been cold enough yet to make me fret about it, so I'll try a bit harder to get it to work as the mornings get darker.

I use the website rather than the app, but I like the charging history for tracking my mi/kWh.

The chargemaster website hints at nice things like being able to charge to a target % rather than just filling to 100% (but function is not available), but overall it's a bit underwhelming.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,120 Posts
Never seen so many smug taxi drivers as the ones in their Leafs when I was trying out the rapid charger!
I didn't think Taxi drivers got free charging any more, that's why so many come down to Fife for a free charge and why there is such a push to have a rapid installed just over the bridge.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah, quite possibly! I was just making a glib comment based on the fact that we shared the hub with 5 taxis. Even if it's not free any more the taxi boss that Fully Charged interviewed on youtube seemed very positive about the transition to electric, it's something the city seems to be getting right

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got the car back from the garage:
1. For the cricky boot, the tailgate latch has been tightened up. If that doesn't fix it (they said to drive it for a few days and see how it goes) then it'll need to go into a body shop.
2. Preconditioning/Programmed Charging - got confirmation of something mentioned in a different thread, i.e. there was a fix but Renault withdrew it and now the garage is waiting on it being reissued and they'll contact me when it's available.

Suppose I should go for a drive now and whip out the old "crick-o-meter"...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts