Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One month into Ampera ownership and 3650 miles covered.

Lifetime average 85mpg and I have covered a range of short / long distance with the longest being 375miles on a single full charge with a 1hr top up. MPG on petrol only is at worst 48mpg and at best 56mpg but 50mpg is easily achievable. Very rarely get below 40 miles from 10.4kWH even at 7 degrees and have managed just over 50 miles on a warm day. Looking forward to seeing what I can get on a nice hot day.

I seem to have experienced most of the known issues already but none are a show stopper and still very pleased with the car. I have made use of a couple of the Ecotricity medium chargers and a few Chargemaster free chargers. The best thing about an REX is you can choose where to charge be it 20 miles into a journey or 200 or not at all. By far the best accessory is the Mennekes to J1772 cable, allows a reasonable top up on a lunch stop.

I am loving the quietness of the car coupled with the Bose speakers, the smooth ride and huge torque, the cost savings and all the gadgets and info at my finger tips. Amazed at how it's changed my driving style and just the way I plan each trip, all for the better. I like the leg room and even though I am 6' 2" I can put the seat back with the cruise on and stretch my legs (As long as there is no back seat passenger!). The only other thing I would love to add is adaptive cruise control.

Apart from the known minor issues the build quality seems superb, I love the colour and it's just nice to have a unique car.

·
Super Moderator
5,937 Posts
We are nearly two years and over 22000 miles now and still very much in love with the car, we were talking at the weekend about what our next car should be and the conclusion is they dont make it yet:(.
Nothing on the road can compete with the Volt, what realy gets me is the missed opportunity that the traditional ICE car manufactures have managed. How can a PHEV car launched in 2011 still have the best range. Only BMW seem to be taking the challenges seriously and then they IMO install a stupidly small fuel tank. I would think and hope the i5 is the reason for this as they want to keep the i3 as a city car to not compete with it.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Have to say if the Volt had 5 seats, it would most likely have been higher up the list than the Leaf, I would have been able to achieve 90% of my journeys on electric alone and would have meant that on the longer trips when I just haven't got the time to stop at rapids it would have meant that my ICE car would be truly redundant. Unfortunately with a family of 5 we just wouldn't have fitted in!

·
Super Moderator
5,937 Posts
Have to say if the Volt had 5 seats, it would most likely have been higher up the list than the Leaf, I would have been able to achieve 90% of my journeys on electric alone and would have meant that on the longer trips when I just haven't got the time to stop at rapids it would have meant that my ICE car would be truly redundant. Unfortunately with a family of 5 we just wouldn't have fitted in!
Have you thought about selling one family member:p

·
Premium Member
11,915 Posts
I got a launch car 2.5 years ago and after 26K miles still love it as much as day 1!

Due low cost to change, lifetime warranty not offered next year and no Volt 2 I am collecting my new 2013 Ampera on Saturday :) Never liked the graphics on red trim (I ordered pre launch and brochure didn't show it) so white this time...

I still went for an Electron. Yes the sat nav IS poor but it finds my destination 90% of the time and I prefer to faffing around sticking on screen. Tip for new owners, do not type postcode in - use city and road. For hotels etc.use POIs. (I know some hate the sat nav no need to tell me...)

Reactions: Big Paul
1 - 8 of 8 Posts