Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, a month on since collecting the ampera and I think I've settled in to EREV ownership. In truth, apart from having to get used to not trying to put the key into the ignition, it has not been a difficult transition for my everyday driving. Yes, it is not quite as outright fast as my last car; yes, the ride isn't quite as cosseting; yes, the interior quality is not quite up to Mercedes quality. However, a) it is no slouch b) it's not exactly harsh and uncomfortable and c) it isn't competing in the same class as my last car and costs halve as much.
I haven't found plugging in every day to be a chore and I drive around on electric almost all of the week. So far once every week I have had a drive of over 100 miles in the day, too much for a BEV without a recharge during the day and finding the time to recharge on those occasions would have been impossible with my schedule for the day.
So, all things considered I'm very much a happy camper and find it incredible to think that Vauxhall have found it difficult to sell these cars. I'm getting around 35+ miles out of a charge with my stop start driving and more like 40 with longer motorway journeys, though not yet managing to break into the '40 mile club'. I'm certain that this is a better match for my driving profile than the outlander would have been with more range and an easy 45 to 55 mpg when on petrol.
So far, with mixed driving my lifetime mileage is 200mpg after 1000 miles and I can easily see this going up. Much better than my previous cars 26mpg lifetime average on diesel!!
I'm trying not to be too much of an 'evangelist' but there are a couple of potential converts to be had locally and one guy I know who gets a new BMW M3 every couple of years is now looking seriously at an i8!!
Negatives? Well I do miss the built-in satnav but not by £2,000........ and that's about it. I think, like many people have said, it is 'horses for courses' and this looks to be the right tool for my particular job. Just getting socket put at the back of my office and thinking about some solar panels there too and I will be well set!
Finally enjoying this great resource and looking forward to following future EV developments.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Glad you are enjoying it. I have always been a vauxhall fan, mainly because they make some good cars at sensible prices.
The Ampera is definitely in a league of its own, and even with 12000 miles of 'sales repping' in the first 5 months of mine the lifetime mpg is 93!
Now I travel a bit less frequently, but seemingly to places where i can charge whilst I am in meetings :)

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Great stuff - I'm at 153mpg at the moment, over 5000 miles, and a very happy bunny indeed...

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
183 Posts
26 mpg to 200 mpg wow!

I opted for the Sat Nav / Bose upgrade but as it was a company car it costs me an extra £20 a month over 3 years so not quite as bad as £2000. I would struggle to justify spending £2000 on the extras although the HDD and Bose speakers are very good. I've used the Sat nav a fair bit and although it gets bad reviews I've found it O.K. I guess it's just that you can buy a sat nav that does the same if not more for £150 in Halfords.

I've just completed my first week of ownership and clocked up 1000 miles. I've had a few longer trips to do 170 + on 1 charge but still manage a respectable lifetime mileage of 85mpg. I've been getting a very similar petrol mileage 45 - 55mpg with ease.

I can't seem to work out the best setting for the climate control. Had it set to Eco, auto seats and auto recirculation today and it was fogging up every 15 mins. Switched off auto recirculation and it seemed to help. I did put a soaking wet charge cable in the boot yesterday so I think the wet in the boot was not helping.

I find a 10 minute pre-heat is not long enough. 15 mins seems about right but it's a pain that you have to reset it after 10 mins. The default 10 mins does not seem long enough to pre heat fully. Also it takes me about 20 mins to have a coffee and breakfast in the morning :)

So far very pleased with the car. I find myself trying to max out the battery range then switching over to petrol and trying to max that out too. I done the same 175 mile trip over the last week and managed 69.5 mpg last Tuesday but only 66.5mpg this Tuesday, I was gutted but it was 14 degrees last week and only 5 this week!

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
26 mpg to 200 mpg wow!

I opted for the Sat Nav / Bose upgrade but as it was a company car it costs me an extra £20 a month over 3 years so not quite as bad as £2000. I would struggle to justify spending £2000 on the extras although the HDD and Bose speakers are very good. I've used the Sat nav a fair bit and although it gets bad reviews I've found it O.K. I guess it's just that you can buy a sat nav that does the same if not more for £150 in Halfords.

I've just completed my first week of ownership and clocked up 1000 miles. I've had a few longer trips to do 170 + on 1 charge but still manage a respectable lifetime mileage of 85mpg. I've been getting a very similar petrol mileage 45 - 55mpg with ease.

I can't seem to work out the best setting for the climate control. Had it set to Eco, auto seats and auto recirculation today and it was fogging up every 15 mins. Switched off auto recirculation and it seemed to help. I did put a soaking wet charge cable in the boot yesterday so I think the wet in the boot was not helping.

I find a 10 minute pre-heat is not long enough. 15 mins seems about right but it's a pain that you have to reset it after 10 mins. The default 10 mins does not seem long enough to pre heat fully. Also it takes me about 20 mins to have a coffee and breakfast in the morning :)

So far very pleased with the car. I find myself trying to max out the battery range then switching over to petrol and trying to max that out too. I done the same 175 mile trip over the last week and managed 69.5 mpg last Tuesday but only 66.5mpg this Tuesday, I was gutted but it was 14 degrees last week and only 5 this week!
My wife does a regular trip in my Ampera of a similar distance (180 ish miles), and gets 66-69 mpg, so that sounds about right to me /)

Good to hear you are pleased with it, and getting about a bit too !

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
That's the beauty of the Ampera, no need to worry about longer trips :)

The fogging up thing is a bit of a problem, I agree. Maybe I'll try turning off auto-recirculate, although this will obviously up the energy usage a bit.

Loving the pre-heat in the mornings! :)

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Have noticed that battery range really takes a tumble with cold weather.

In summer (19-24 deg C) I was getting circa 47, early autumn 41 (14 degrees) but yesterday just 33 miles (8 deg C).

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
That's the beauty of the Ampera, no need to worry about longer trips :)

The fogging up thing is a bit of a problem, I agree. Maybe I'll try turning off auto-recirculate, although this will obviously up the energy usage a bit.

Loving the pre-heat in the mornings! :)
I don't use the auto settings on the climate. I just set the fan to the lowest speed, that keeps mine de-misted.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Have noticed that battery range really takes a tumble with cold weather.

In summer (19-24 deg C) I was getting circa 47, early autumn 41 (14 degrees) but yesterday just 33 miles (8 deg C).
Yeah, noticed it on mine too this week.
I think that the battery management uses a reasonable chunk of power to keep them warm ....

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
A friend has just bought an Ampera. He was already looking at them and had come to the conclusion that it was 'the best solution available'. When he saw mine, it convinced him. He swapped for an absolute mean ass F series performance Lexus. Don't know what it was, but it was sweeeeeet!

Anyhoo, he's only had it a fortnight and wondered why he was only getting 33 miles range. I told him it would go up as the weather improves.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,612 Posts
14 months, 30,000 miles, 120 mpg lifetime, and getting to grips with the heating/ventilation. Like @Lee Dalton I have the fan on minimum and windscreen with the temp set low enough to stop the heating element coming on. My daily commute one way is more than the battery will take so I know I am always going to use petrol. Halfway through I will pop the car onto Hold, after a few miles and the engine warmed up, turn the heating up to 23 and Auto, then back to electric after 10 miles and heating back to low. I will will then run out of power with a few miles to go so have some heating again. I can usually see around 38 miles in the morning and 48 in the evening just now but it is dropping.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Using the ICE for early warming is certainly an option...

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Wow you guys are complex. My settings:
Now its getting ruddy cold, Climate on Max, everything on auto, 22c, and just drive it :)

I want to keep comfy lol.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The fogging up thing is a bit of a problem, I agree. Maybe I'll try turning off auto-recirculate, although this will obviously up the energy usage a bit :)
I usually drive on ECO and AUTO eating but I notice that setting to MAX AUTO fixes the fogging problem.
I believe this is due to the fact that the air conditioning compressor is turned off in ECO mode while heating the car, allowing the interior to become very humid causing condensation on colder surfaces. I know it uses more battery but for me, comfort and convenience is the best option.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I think it just governs how hard it runs the air con compressor, not when it uses it...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts