Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,604 Posts
On my Bingo card I have:
  • Rare earth metals are entirely mined by African children.
  • EV batteries get thrown in landfill once the car worn out.
  • A BEV needs to be driven for 200,000 miles before it matches the CO2 footprint of an ICE.
  • I don't know why anyone ever mentioned this stuff before EVs, even though the ICE industry use similar metals and resources in their cars.
  • We're running out of Lithium/rare earth metals/copper
  • All the power generation for EVs comes from coal.
  • I can get 100 mpg from my diesel estate - therefore we should compare all EVs with this benchmark
  • The grid will collapse when everyone plugs in at 6pm on return from work.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,604 Posts

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
The write-up from Radio Times:

The electric vehicle revolution is hotting up and Tesla is leading the charge. The trillion-dollar car company is now worth more than all the other major car makers put together. But where does Tesla get the rare metal for its car batteries and how ethical is its supply chain? Reporter Darragh MacIntyre meets the African nuns who say Elon Musk's company must do better. They're demanding the world's richest man does more to protect some of the poorest people on the planet.
Looks like being another unbalanced hatchet job.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On my Bingo card I have:
  • A BEV needs to be driven for 200,000 miles before it matches the CO2 footprint of an ICE.
  • I don't know why anyone ever mentioned this stuff before EVs, even though the ICE industry use similar metals and resources in their cars.
  • I can get 100 mpg from my diesel estate - therefore we should compare all EVs with this benchmark
Ok, it's after dark, you're allowed out now! :)

·
Registered
337 Posts
Now you're making me feel guilty about ordering the seal fur seats option - I had no idea!
I ordered the seal fur snow boots for the tyres, with novelty "screechers" fitted inside the "head" areas. Really horrifies the lefty tree huggers when it snows. Ahhh. Monty Python "Mouse Organ" , the best comedy ever.

·
Registered
176 Posts
On my Bingo card I have:
I have my Bingo card ready too.....
Font Pattern Parallel Symmetry Number

·
Registered
405 Posts
Staggering journalistic hypocricy. Tesla cobalt supplier bad for not stopping all the illegal artisanal miners breaking into their secured areas and killing themselves in unsafe tunnels but also bad for trying to stop artisanal miners on open land bought by the supplier from doing the same. WTF?

·
Registered
ID3 1st Edition in Glacier White
645 Posts
Issues relating to adopting new technology, ethical supply chains, stakeholder engagement and corporate governance are really important issues and were touched on in this programme. Sadly, it incoherently confused many issues and responsibilities because it had a crude agenda, including heaping more negatively on EV ‘s.
A few weeks ago the media were all over COP and environmentalism now they are lining up to smear electric cars. Weird people.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 3 Slinky Silver, Renault Zoe R135GT
302 Posts
They forgot to mention that according to the USGS. Cobalt (Co) is a metal used in numerous diverse commercial, industrial, and military applications, many of which are strategic and critical. On a global basis, the leading use of cobalt is in rechargeable battery electrodes. Superalloys, which are used to make parts for gas turbine engines, are another major use for cobalt. Cobalt is also used to make airbags in automobiles; catalysts for the petroleum and chemical industries; cemented carbides (also called hardmetals) and diamond tools; corrosion- and wear-resistant alloys; drying agents for paints, varnishes, and inks; dyes and pigments; ground coats for porcelain enamels; high-speed steels; magnetic recording media; magnets; and steel-belted radial tires.

So Panorama has a lot more people to go after!

·
Registered
ID3 1st Edition in Glacier White
645 Posts
They forgot to mention that according to the USGS. Cobalt (Co) is a metal used in numerous diverse commercial, industrial, and military applications, many of which are strategic and critical. On a global basis, the leading use of cobalt is in rechargeable battery electrodes. Superalloys, which are used to make parts for gas turbine engines, are another major use for cobalt. Cobalt is also used to make airbags in automobiles; catalysts for the petroleum and chemical industries; cemented carbides (also called hardmetals) and diamond tools; corrosion- and wear-resistant alloys; drying agents for paints, varnishes, and inks; dyes and pigments; ground coats for porcelain enamels; high-speed steels; magnetic recording media; magnets; and steel-belted radial tires.

So Panorama has a lot more people to go after!
I don’t think this kind of whataboutery is particularly helpful. I think there is a story here about a huge contract with Tesla for cobalt mining and supply chain ethics eg. The contractors they use and the pay and conditions of workers and local environmental impact. Especially when it involves nuns becoming shareholders :0)
Sadly, the report threw in all sorts of other issues in muddled way. For instance, new technology replacing thousands of manual workers conducting dangerous and (I guess) illegal activities. Which is a much broader issue.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,604 Posts
I think there is a story here about a huge contract with Tesla for cobalt mining and supply chain ethics eg.
...that Tesla are already well aware of and have dealt with through supply chain auditing.

Now why do you think they didn't bother mentioning this?

And why do they suddenly raise these ethical issues, when they've been around for a while. Just because these cars also use this battery technology that's in everyone's pocket.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
And we do they suddenly raise these ethical issues, when they've been around for a while. Just because these cars also use this battery technology that's in everyone's pocket.
This is a key point. For the past couple of decades or more, pretty much everyone has been walking around with this battery chemistry in their phones, laptops, torches, tablets etc. There are now billions of lithium cells that have been manufactured, and most of them have nothing to do with EVs.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts