Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Kia E-Niro 2021 4+
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New e-Niro 4+ arriving next weekend. I’m a competent driver but not super confident, and the world of EVs is totally new to me. I’m finding all the technical terms and acronyms baffling and quite daunted by actually driving it! We’re buying it because we need an automatic and also my hubby has dreamed of a fully electric for years so it seemed like the right thing to do.
So... please pass on your best “top tip” to get a total novice over the first couple of weeks of EV driving. What settings should we absolutely tinker with? What is regenerative braking and when should I use it? What’s the routine when you use a charging point?
I am sure I’m going to love it eventually I just need a little cheerleading team to get me there 😄
Thanks!

·
Registered
176 Posts
New e-Niro 4+ arriving next weekend. I’m a competent driver but not super confident, and the world of EVs is totally new to me. I’m finding all the technical terms and acronyms baffling and quite daunted by actually driving it! We’re buying it because we need an automatic and also my hubby has dreamed of a fully electric for years so it seemed like the right thing to do.
So... please pass on your best “top tip” to get a total novice over the first couple of weeks of EV driving. What settings should we absolutely tinker with? What is regenerative braking and when should I use it? What’s the routine when you use a charging point?
I am sure I’m going to love it eventually I just need a little cheerleading team to get me there 😄
Thanks!
There is a huge amount of info on this forum; you can find things using the search facility.
This thread asked much the same question as you. There are lots of tips which should help.
Enjoy the Niro!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Thanks!
Don't worry about the tinkering possibilities. You'll be fine with all the default settings until you feel like having a play (put the drive mode into 'normal' and press auto on the heating/ventilation temperature knob). Just make sure you know how to set the maximum charge levels, how to charge it and how to release the charging cable (press the key-fob 'unlock' button and pull out the plug).

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
545 Posts
Regenerative braking is a way of taking the wasted energy from the process of slowing down a car and using it to recharge the car’s batteries (definition stolen from an Auto Express article)

The thing to bear in mind is that the car uses regen when you use the brakes normally, until you apply enough force that the car realises the regen alone is not enough, and then it will use the friction brakes.

You can set regen using the flipper paddles on the steering wheel to suit your preference, but there is no right or wrong answer as to what to set it at. There are lots of theories actually as to which setting is most efficient. It seems counter intuitive because you'd think that setting it high would be best because you get more regen and so more added to your battery. But the effect is that, as soon as you take your foot off the accelerator, the car starts to slow and sometimes, that is not the most efficient way to drive as you then need to put your foot back down again to speed up. With regen on 0, the car will just coast like a normal ICE (in fact it will coast further because there is no engine braking effect)

Regen is good around town because it gives you the feel of near one pedal driving and that it nice when you get used to it. On the open road, turn it down.

Driving an EV will make you a smoother driver as you start to look further ahead to avoid using the brake.

My missus doesn't like me using high regen when she is a passenger - the effect can be too nausea inducing for her.

Get used to the drive of the car first, and then just tinker with the level to find what you prefer.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,058 Posts
My wife is a good, confident driver but she does struggle with adjustment to new machines, it’s more a worry than any capability. Anyway, she went from our Skoda Fabia manual to the e-Niro with no issues at all. Loves driving it and has used it for a few runs out for work so far.

We’ve settled on regen 3 and we both very quickly adjusted to rarely needing to use the brakes.

basically it’s a really easy and nice car to drive.

what’s worth getting your head around is charging, at home and rapid charging. Know how to operate and pay at a rapid. Some networks are a pain with apps needed and accounts. It can be a bit Wild West. IMHO The key is to take the time to get all the apps, cards and accounts you might need. Visit a local rapid and try it out. That way you avoid the first visit being on a journey when you need it to work.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
545 Posts
Will you often drive further than the cars range, necessitating the use of public chargers? If so, download zap map to quickly find where they are. Best networks are Instavolt and Osprey, both more reliable than most, and both accept contactless payment, no faffing around with apps.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Quote from my Mrs: “I’m not confident in new cars but I took to it really easily. Really easy to drive I wouldn’t want to go back.”

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Also…. Ask question here. There are loads of Kia drivers who’ve probably already worked things out. The Kia handbook isn’t the easiest or friendliest thing to work through.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
545 Posts
Visit a local rapid and try it out. That way you avoid the first visit being on a journey when you need it to work.
Agree 100%. That's exactly what I did. Had a bunch of people watching me and I was trying my best to make it look like I knew what I was doing :)

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
234 Posts
I found that regen 2 gives about the same level of retardation that I used to get in my Mercedes Automatic, playing with the paddles you can use them as a braking system to suit the situation. Rarely touch the actual brake pedal these days.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq 38 2016 Leaf 30 gone
157 Posts
Just drive normally and enjoy your new car, if its any help I leave everything on auto, wipers lights regen and drive in comfort/normal mode. You cannot break anything by changing settings so when you feel comfortable play with the settings a bit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Got mine 9 days ago, also first EV, and it's been a breeze. Really neat to drive and the range is impressive.
  • I've tested out the regenerative settings a bit, and this far I feel quite comfortable with level 2. Level 3 is quite heavy.
  • The app is not the flashiest, but it does it's job and it's really nice to be able to start AC or heating so that the car has a nice temperature when it's time to have a ride, and check battery level when you leave the car charging.
  • Auto hold is great when in a car queue, or waiting at the drive in. Not EV specific but my previous cars didn't have it.
  • This is not EV specific, but some clever Kia stuff:
  • How to unplug cable when it's locked, see this thread that I started. If it wasn't for the app, I would've been stuck before knowing how to release the lock.
Hope you will enjoy the new car as much as me and my family do :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
My missus doesn't like me using high regen when she is a passenger - the effect can be too nausea inducing for her.
I agree, as a passenger it becomes extremely irritating after a while, feeling like one of those nodding dogs on the rear parcel shelf that used to be all the rage donkeys years ago.

Regen 3 requires a lot smoother operation of the accelerator than normal if you don't want complaints from the passenger.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I’m finding all the technical terms and acronyms baffling
Watch lots of EV related videos on YouTube, you'll soon pick up what the terminology mean.

Here's some kia specific videos that may help you.

please pass on your best “top tip” to get a total novice over the first couple of weeks of EV driving
My tips would be...

as previously said by others, put all controls on "auto" to begin with....you can tinker later once you are used to the car.

Coming from a petrol/diesel car I recommend having the regen on setting 1 to begin with (use the steering wheel paddles to set this), again, you can tinker with different settings later to suit your preference.

Visit your nearest Instavolt public charger to familiarise with public charging. Instavolt chargers are super user friendly, no app needed to use them you pay with a credit/debit card. You can look online for the location of your nearest one, or if you disclose the area where you live (not your exact address obviously), I or someone else will find it for you.

Learn little by little....there is a bewildering amount to learn all at once.

If you need any help or advice DO ask on the forum where there is usually someone who can help.

Enjoy your new car and your EV experience.

Reactions: Whitling2k
1 - 17 of 17 Posts