Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bit startled yesterday to find only one charger at Woodall Northbound. The other seems to be just a stump covered by a wooden box. I wonder if there's a new one on the way. If so why wouldn't they swap them over as one operation?

It seems to me that the Electric Highway is carrying ever more traffic and we need more chargers, not less. Hopefully a nice modern triple-headed job will replace it, but I'm not holding my breath. I seems to me they've had more that the usual number of problems at this location for months.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just got a response from Ecotricity on the issue. They've removed the charger (I absolutely refuse to call them "pumps") to fix an "internal issue", after which they will replace it. They have no date for this.

Yes, that site has been flakier than most. but one might have hoped they had a charger or two in stock with which they could have replaced it. Preferably a more up to date one.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,633 Posts
This happened at Oxford Wheatley Services a couple of years ago, the charger had been very flaky so was eventually swapped out, it did improve for a while but is now as flaky as it was before.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This happened at Oxford Wheatley Services a couple of years ago, the charger had been very flaky so was eventually swapped out, it did improve for a while but is now as flaky as it was before.
Wish it sounded like "swapping out", but the delay suggests they have no spares and are patching up the existing one. Which in turn suggests the maintenance budget is very tight, and the prospect of additional chargers quite remote.

I did a Google search for articles on the revenue situation of the EH, but I didn't find anything recent. I found this Ecotricity losing money from charging network, says Electric Highway MD but "current-news" is something of a misnomer.

And maintenance costs aren't likely to go anywhere but up as the chargers age. Rumour has it they get water leaking in which definitely sounds like an issue of ageing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts