Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
i am about to buy an id3 from a dealer in Nottinghamshire (100 miles from my location) but as they are in tier 3, I am not keen to go there nor run the gauntlet with the police for a non-essential journey. This will be the first time I buy a car unseen and not from a local dealer.
if the car develops a fault, do I have to take back to that dealer or any franchise dealer is obligated under the warranty to fix it?
would welcome any advice.
thanks.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi,
i am about to buy an id3 from a dealer in Nottinghamshire (100 miles from my location) but as they are in tier 3, I am not keen to go there nor run the gauntlet with the police for a non-essential journey. This will be the first time I buy a car unseen and not from a local dealer.
if the car develops a fault, do I have to take back to that dealer or any franchise dealer is obligated under the warranty to fix it?
thanks.
I’be just ordered an ID3 (via a broker) from a dealer some distance from me. I asked this very question - you can take it back to any franchised dealer for fixes.

Enjoy the ID3, I’ve got to wait until March for mine!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Hi,
thanks.
The key is 'are you dealing with a reputable main VW dealer?'. If you are, then I would be confident of both the purchase and also after care from your local VW dealer. As a suggestion, you might wish to pay for say £200+ on a credit card to give you extra protection.

Two years ago I bought a second hand e-Golf from a main VW dealer 250 miles from home. A demonstrator, used for 800 miles. I traded in a three year old Skoda Octavia. All online and by phone. Worked very well with both the dealer and myself having the right to walk away if both the new (to me) and trade-in cars were not as described. The dealer also offered me a 1,000 mile / one week refund option if I was not pleased with my new car. I arrived at 9 am with an inch of snow on the ground to collect my new car. An interesting experience driving up the A1 to Scotch Corner in the cold and snow and consequent impact on SoC and range on my first EV journey - and a written offer of a refund sat on the seat next to me! But that is another story.

I wish you well.

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
555 Posts
Hi,
thanks.
My son's looking at replacing his zoe. He has forwarded one car he is looking at that has a delivery option with a 14-day no-quibbles return policy.

·
Premium Member
11,644 Posts
There are some very good deals on ID3 now as VW are desperate to sell all stock before end of year to help reduce (unlikely to eliminate) their EU fine for 2020.

If you are happy with the ID3 and spec you have chosen then buying now is a good idea, but do make sure you have got a very good deal. Marshalls in Newbury were doing some brilliant offers on their allocated stock. I can't see deals being as good in 21Q1 as UK cars won't count towards EU target next year.

I see no problem with buying online for home delivery. By law you have 14 days distance selling return policy, so if there is any fault on delivery you simply say "come collect it". The factory warranty is with VW so any franchised dealer can and will repair.

Almost all my new cars were bought from distant dealers but I got them serviced and repaired locally. I typically got the train to collect from some far flung dealership to save a few hundred quid. My current Zoe is from lease company and was delivered on trailer in perfect condition.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,499 Posts
Hi,
thanks.
  1. Travel to Tier 3 areas is allowed for shopping - ridiculous but true:

In all tiers, the following businesses and venues can remain open:

essential and non-essential retail, including indoor and outdoor markets and car boot sales
    Local restriction tiers: what you need to know

2. The Police have no reason to detain you - what you are doing is allowed. I commute daily from a Tier 2 area (where my car is registered) to a Tier 3 area (about 15 miles into it) as apparently I cannot WFH - that is allowed and I have not been stopped once. How do they tell the difference between us and why would they stop you?

3. Outdoor activities are relatively safe - perhaps just avoid shaking hands with the salesman and take your own cleaning products to clean the touch points on the car?

4. There is no requirement to take the car back to the dealer - any/all VW dealers will honour the warranty.

5. The only issue is if you have to reject the car completely for some reason - but even then you can require them to collect the car from you.
Despite all of this - do you really need the car now or can it wait?

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
I'm in Winchester, Tier 2. Have bought (deposit paid anyway) an ID.3 from VW dealer nearby, it's in their showroom & ready to go. I can't go in & see it today as lockdown, but they're open for business next Wednesday Dec 2, so that day's ok to inspect it, and have a test-drive of their demo iD.3. Maybe you can do the same then?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts