Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of buying a Passat GTE (2016) but I couldn't charge it at home/work yet.
Does anyone have any experience with the fuel consumption in only hybrid mode and how this would affect the car? (I commute 30 km a day mainly in the city)
I don't like the hybrid solutions from Toyota and there is enough space for the family only in Passat-size cars.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I can't give you a very accurate view of city driving with no battery charge, but a 350 mile mostly motorway journey without charging gave me 40.9mpg a couple of months ago; the same journey in the other direction which started with a full charge was 45.6mpg. Looking back through the data in WeConnect app I did also make a short 2 mile / 10 minute city journey at 25.9mpg with no battery charge, so I'd hope you would find something between the two for 30km, probably nearer the mid-thirties mpg (but sorry, I can't convert to l/km for you!). However with so many variables, especially in urban driving, a good comparison might be hard.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,930 Posts
You'd be better off with a petrol-only version surely? Are you wanting one to avoid some kind of congestion charge?
Agreed. The GTE is not designed to be a self-charging hybrid in the way that (say) a Prius is, so you'd be carrying a large amount of extra kit around for little purpose and at greater initial cost. Unless you plan to have access to a charge point in the near future, or are avoiding a congestion / emissions charge, I'd agree that a normal 1.4 Tsi for petrol or 1.6 TDi for diesel is a more suitable and lower cost to buy, run and maintain option.

·
Registered
2020 Renault Zoe R135 Iconic
1,279 Posts
Basically to back up what is already being said. Unless you are soon to be able to charge regularly at home/work/both it makes no sense to spend more money on a vehicle for a feature you can't use, driving around the extra weight of an unused battery and making repairs more expensive and complex if something was to go wrong.

I Don't imagine that driving around leaving the battery sitting discharged at all times will do it much good either and potentially cause you to end up with a reduced electric range should you opt to use the battery in the future. This was the case with some of the early plug-in Prius cars I have seen that were bought to avoid the London congestion charge but never actually had the battery charged. The already tiny battery capacity was reduced by a little more than a quarter after ~3 years if my memory serves me correctly.

self-charging hybrid
The forbidden phrase. Boo!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses!
Previously I used a Ford Focus 1.6 petrol and it consumed 9l/100km (26 mpg) in the traffic. I hoped that the Hybrid mode could be better.
The 1.4 TSI petrol version is not cheaper than the GTE in the current used car market, and I hope it could be charged at my workplace in the future or in 2-3 years if we move to a new place with my family.
But this 2-3 years could be too much for the battery to use it near empty. My biggest problem is that I like the addition extras in the GTE version which are not present in the standard petrol versions. Probably I should buy an other estate for this temporary period.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Just to add to this, just before I ordered my GTE, the sales person told me that it isn't worth having unless you can charge regularly. Given that he works on commission and still says that, I would be inclined to listen to him on this point.

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,982 Posts
If you do end up owning a GTE without the ability to plug in, I'd probably say you're better of starting it in GTE mode every time. Keeps the battery around 50% charge, and stops you getting single digit mpg on short journeys if the battery is empty..

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
566 Posts
The Focus 1.6 petrol is way off the pace compared with modern ICE efficiency. (Though they are also way off the pace with real BEV/hybrid, obviously.)
Any modern small TSi type engine will do up 50-55 mpg even in a Passat. The Focus 1.6 barely scrapes 40 mpg in a best case scenario, and drops from there when you're stuck in traffic (I know, I dragged one up and down the M4 road works at 50mph for two years - pretty much as good as it gets for allowing a car to be efficient).

Saying all the above is it really the case that you'd never be able to charge your GTE at any time during your ownership? 30km a day is well within range of even the lowest cost all-battery EVs, and frankly if you bought a Tesla model 3 for example you'd be able to pop down a supercharger for 15 minutes once a week and that would do for your charging requirements. And in the future when your workplace/home is able to offer charging you can move on to that.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you don't plug it in its not worth having. But if you can't plug in at home or at work just plug in at the nearest public charging point - they are everywhere, always available and free. Oh sorry you are not in Scotland!

·
Premium Member
11,604 Posts
I don't like the hybrid solutions from Toyota
And yet their "self charging" hybrids are more efficient vs a GTE that you don't plug in. And more reliable than a "worse than average" VW. If you like German makes then Mercedes do a C Class Hybrid Estate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts