Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Are instavolt the only UK based charging network that doesn't require an app, account or rfid card, where you can just use contactless?
Cheers

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,833 Posts
Hi
Are instavolt the only UK based charging network that doesn't require an app, account or rfid card, where you can just use contactless?
Cheers
The government have mandated that all new rapid charger installs should accept contactless. I believe Polar is also adding the facility to their existing units where possible.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The government have mandated that all new rapid charger installs should accept contactless. I believe Polar is also adding the facility to their existing units where possible.
Thanks, but presumably they will still be able to force you to have an app, or at least register, and maybe even make you put a minimum amount on to your account.
I know the argument is as old as the hills but I want it to be like going to a petrol station where you don't need to provide anything except payment.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Yes, please list them. There is no doubt that most EV drivers prefer the Instavolt system. I vote with my feet and use them whenever possible.

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
609 Posts
Really? Who please?
Just go onto ZapMap and set the filter for 'Payment' to 'Contactless debit or credit card' and you'll see the chargers that do. Quite a range of networks, including Instavolt, Polar, Shell and Engenie. I'll let you do further searching.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Are you certain, previously the regulations were that chargers had to be accessible to everyone, but this did include the need to download an app etc. Some new contracts may stipulate it also.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just go onto ZapMap and set the filter for 'Payment' to 'Contactless debit or credit card' and you'll see the chargers that do. Quite a range of networks, including Instavolt, Polar, Shell and Engenie. I'll let you do further searching.
Thanks. I've done that but I'm talking about networks that only need you to do contactless. Polar, shell etc all seem to need you to either have rfid cards or at least register or download an app. I don't see why you should have to do all that. If I go to fill up my petrol car, all I need is money to pay for it. Not apps or cards or subscriptions etc... Just wondered if instavolt were the only ones that allowed this...

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,172 Posts
Polar, shell etc all seem to need you to either have rfid cards or at least register or download an app.
Not on all their chargers. Those that have the contactless mark on them don't require anything else. Like all things though, there's no such thing as a free lunch (so though say). Contactless costs a little bit more, but if you don't use them a lot it's not worth taking out a subscription.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not on all their chargers. Those that have the contactless mark on them don't require anything else. Like all things though, there's no such thing as a free lunch (so though say). Contactless costs a little bit more, but if you don't use them a lot it's not worth taking out a subscription.

Ah ok thanks. So can you plan your routes for these or do you need to wait until you get there to see if you can use contactless with no subscription/app Etc?

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
428 Posts
All part of the fun... Installing and registering an app takes a minute or two, it's not so bad. After all you wind up doing this just to park these days too.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,172 Posts
Ah ok thanks. So can you plan your routes for these or do you need to wait until you get there to see if you can use contactless with no subscription/app Etc?
Ah, now you've got me there. I've not been out and about on long journeys so far this year (retired with a wife who has a heart condition) so I've not been looking to find out. If you'd asked me this last year I would have said that it's a bit of a lottery. So yes, turn up and find out. I do know that Plugshare will tell you which have contactless when you check individual chargers, but don't know if any of the sites (ZapMap, Polar etc) have a filter for it yet.

Reactions: Stevedoz

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ah, now you've got me there. I've not been out and about on long journeys so far this year (retired with a wife who has a heart condition) so I've not been looking to find out. If you'd asked me this last year I would have said that it's a bit of a lottery. So yes, turn up and find out. I do know that Plugshare will tell you which have contactless when you check individual chargers, but don't know if any of the sites (ZapMap, Polar etc) have a filter for it yet.
Thanks. Retired here too, but am using this information to see if I am comfortable with getting a first EV. I'm beginning to think yes for the UK, but less convinced for travel into France, unless its a tesla...
Much appreciated

·
Registered
259 Posts
I will at some point be getting documentation from Polar, courtesy of my dealer purchase.

But I have registered with Genie Point and will be charged payment via a registered Contactless RFID card, no need for a phone app, which suits me fine.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
428 Posts
It has to be said I think the private Tesla charging infrastructure is a huge comfort blanket for Tesla owners.

·
Registered
2019 Renault Zoe R110 (ZE40)
985 Posts
Zap Map has the filter for contactless. And it does filter by unit rather than by network. So you can see only polar units that also have card terminals fitted for example.

Polar themselves don’t show this on their apps, but if you already have the app you either have a membership card, or the app installed to start a charge at a lower cost than using a credit card, so I can see why they aren’t too bothered about adding that feature to their own software.

·
Premium Member
11,053 Posts
All Ionity do contactless too, but at 69p Kwh are more expensive than average. I don't need to do much charging on my Polar Plus over our two EVs to cover my subscription. One rapid I use is still no charge on Polar :)

Contactless is good for occasional users, but roaming and aggregation seem to be the future for people who charge often.

I have signed up for Octopus Electric Juice as option to add charging to home bill is handy. They just need more networks! Octopus Energy

I looked at One app. One Payment. All EV Charge Points | Bonnet | London but not sure about higher commitment (vs Polar) as away a lot of winter and our travel isn't same each month. They do offer rollover but need to see fine print when they launch.

Reactions: Stevedoz and Neilew
1 - 20 of 28 Posts