Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
yes, it is quite interesting to see how 'soft' the crusie control really is.

Here's a thing to try to get a feel for it. Think of a straight flat road you might drive along now and again leading from a 60 into a 30 zone. When you go that way next, at some point before entering the 60 zone, set the cruise control to 30.

So now you are driving along the 60 with cruise doing nothing, because it is set to 30.

Now just back off early for the 30 not using your brakes. You'll see as your speed drops, as it drops below 40mph it will slow down much more gradually than if you did not have cruise control. Below 35mph and the deceleration is almost glacial, and it slowly asymptotes to 30, all softly and gradually.

Other cruise controls will decelerate 'normally' right down to 30mph, often 'overshooting' and dropping below 30, before re-engaging power abruptly to bring it back up to 30.

I like the way the Ampera runs its CC, it suits my driving style and preferences. others might prefer a 'harder' cruise control, which is fine each to their own and all that, but it wastes energy.
Oh I love this car and now another excuse to go for a drive (wife thinks I have another woman, she doesn't realise the other woman is sitting on the drive).

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I use crusecontrol (CC) all the time, Its far more economic than my right foot. in this weather on my journey @ 50 - 51 miles on a charge. On the single carriageway 55 indicated (50 real?) seems good, more and air resistance comes in to play. Down steeper hills I find CC + L seems to be the best option but generally use the D setting.
Careful over speed bumps though! One local road to work I have to go over one bump at 5mph (n) and its noisy at that...
I have a positiv so no bose sound. Still great though, the bonus at town speeds is no engine/tire/wind noise. so for once a car with good sound.(y)

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Why do I feel that playing AC/DC in the car is not appropriate or will I get over it!
Mine came pre-loaded with "War of the Worlds" which probably gives an idea of the type of customer Vauxhall was lending the car out to!

@Freebird you don't mention Sally Satnav's falsetto sister who reads the street names out. She made me jump the first time I heard her! :eek::LOL::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I have been so busy loading up more tracks to the hard drive I forgot my satnav problem. I will have to take it for another drive, sigh, just to check her out. I got no directions after the first 100 yards last time, now I'm wondering if its me. I had the TomTom Go in the central locker charging in the USB port. When i heard directions (which sounded exactly like the TomTom woman) Im wondering if those came from the TomTom and that the first 100 years were not from the Ampera satnav at all. I'm a bit wary of this woman now, am I going to be embarrassed if i have passengers hearing her?

·
Premium Member
11,946 Posts
Enjoy your "only 49 miles" - once we get to the depth of winter it will seem like a long, lost memory :D

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Probably better than most ICE ''s because the power delivery is so gentle (sometimes :rolleyes:).

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Speaking of winter, what are they like in icy conditions (I live on a hill that never gets gritted)?
You might want to invest in a set of winter tyres maybe? I have a set of Nokians on alloys which seem to give similar miles/charge - certainly no significant loss, as well as being a lot quieter than the standard Michelin energy-savers! You might also reduce corrosion on the OEM alloys - seems we're all getting some/a lot of bubbling, with owners getting this fixed under ?6? year anti-corrosion warranty? Reminds me, I must ask about mine at 4 yr service coming up...

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Thanks Andy(?), not sure if i can afford the winter tyres this year but will definitely try for next. The car I had before this was a diesel Shogun (couldn't take the shame anymore) so I got used to four wheel drive. the car before that was a new 2000 Ford Cougar (similarities here, American built car re-badged for the UK, limited numbers and soon withdrawn by Ford). It had traction control which seemed to make the car attempt Irish dancing in the ice. Good thinking about the alloys though. Mine seem ok so far.
Phil

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
... not sure if i can afford the winter tyres this year...l
FWIW I bought this lot from mytyres.co.uk last December:

Item: Winter complete wheel for OPEL Ampera (D1JOI 2011- , Range Extender 111 bhp), Rim ALUTEC Grip graphit 6.5 x 16 (LK 5/115, OS 41), RDKS Schrader OEM 3033 Felge: Nokian WR-D4 205/60 R16 96H
Quantity: 4 unit price net: 130.67 GBP (156.80 GBP brutto)
Transport and delivery costs net: 33.00 GBP Total amount net: 555.67 GBP
20 % VAT 111.13 GBP Total sum: 666.80 GBP

You can see what they look like on my Avatar piccy on the left! :) . Andy.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thanks Andy, they dont detract from the look of the car either. Nice colour, is that Crystal Claret, same as mine, and I see your retired, I was worried that I was the only old fart on the forum. Phil

·
Registered
647 Posts
I used the cruise control going through an average speed check area but found it did drop to 39 from 40 often with no sign of going back.
The "softness" of cruise control varies between "sport" and "normal" modes as well as between "D" and "L" settings.

Sport mode will oblige the car to accelerate and "L" will oblige the car to decelerate. If you want to permit some acceleration via coasting (going faster than the cc setting) then use "D".

If you want to make cruise control stick closely to the input setting then go to "sport" and "L".

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
I never get more than mid 40's from mine
From your winter tyres? I don't get more than 45 miles/charge on my summers usually, once managed 49.1 - yet to make the 50 club! But it's hard to be sure what the difference is, as temps & my journeys vary too much for me to manage an exact comparison when I've swapped the wheels over.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
The "softness" of cruise control varies between "sport" and "normal" modes as well as between "D" and "L" settings.

Sport mode will oblige the car to accelerate and "L" will oblige the car to decelerate. If you want to permit some acceleration via coasting (going faster than the cc setting) then use "D".

If you want to make cruise control stick closely to the input setting then go to "sport" and "L".
Thanks very much Lee, not being used to Automatic style of driving I didn't know what to expect when I used cruise control. This is such an interesting car.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Thanks Andy, they dont detract from the look of the car either. Nice colour, is that Crystal Claret, same as mine, and I see your retired, I was worried that I was the only old fart on the forum. Phil
Yes, Crystal Red acc to my 2012 brochure. The only red they did, afaik. But mine's got white interior seat & door etc trims - would rather have had red there as well, to match. But I can live with that! Perfect car for old farts - and others!! :)

21 - 40 of 41 Posts