Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
When fully charged its only showing 26 miles and the gauge isn't showing full ... any ideas ?
I don't yet have mine so not speaking from experience, but from what I've seen on here before it could have something to do with your min and max settings on charging. Worth a bit of a play around on the app / MIB to see what you find?

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
Having a displayed range of less than 30/31 after a charge is nearly always related to whether you have the HVAC system switched on.

Not just the aircon button, but the fans as well. Hit the 'off' button on the HVAC panel and see if it goes up.

If your battery isn't showing full though, then check the charge settings and make sure that it's set to charge to 100%.

Be aware also that the displayed electric range is pants and you'll only ever get up to 22-25 miles actual EV only range in the summer and about 15-18 in the winter.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Heated mirrors will probably give you another mile back - look at the e-display bit on the MiB and you should see a button for 'potential' range - this will show you what you can turn off to increase your range

·
Registered
107 Posts
Upon my 2 yr. old GTE whereas in 2015/6 would show 29 after full charge in summer months is now only showing 27 this summer. Whether Service Campaign 93B3 software updates had any bearing upon this or battery now starting to show early degradation after repeated charging I know not.

·
Daniel
123 Posts
At 1yr 7mth my GTE consistently shows 28. Occasionally 29, once recently 30 (but that was after a longer journey using hybrid so I assume the guess o meter as its affectionately known factored in that there might be some fossil fuel involved the next time!).

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Upon my 2 yr. old GTE whereas in 2015/6 would show 29 after full charge in summer months is now only showing 27 this summer. Whether Service Campaign 93B3 software updates had any bearing upon this or battery now starting to show early degradation after repeated charging I know not.
Yeah, similar situation here !.
First 9 months of charging every night and the GOM would hit 30 - 31 miles after a full overnight charge.
This then slipped to 29 - 30 miles of predicted range on the GOM after the same overnight charge almost over night ( p.s. - nothing left turned on in the car )
Then it would only return a max predicted mileage of 29 miles on the GOM last summer.
Now it now only achieves a max of 28 miles of predicted range on the GOM after the same overnight charge.
I do like to use the E.V. mode as much as possible and charging every night has therefore become the norm.
I agree that more use of the engine over a few days, does appear to increase the predicted range on the GOM after a full over night charge, but as my use of the engine is limited I maybe suffering from the reduced range over the two years of ownership ?????.
Yes, it is a concern that this maybe due to degradation because of the constant charge & discharge of the high voltage battery. Can the dealer perform a health check on the H.V. battery and if all checks out okay, then reset the G.O.M. back to show the 30 - 31 miles of range ??????.
I feel we are all in a very similar place when it comes to the reported range predicted by the GOM.
After all, this is why it earned the title of G.O.M. in the first place, "Guess - O - Meter".
Two thing to consider members and I would love to hear your views :-
1) The G.O.M. is reporting a predicted / calculation of range for your next journey based on the previous days driving events and should not be taken to seriously ????.
2) The G.O.M. does a totally accurate calculation on the true health / state of the H.V. battery calculated by counting the times the battery has been fully charged & then totally discharged ( due to its small size ) and what we are looking at IS actual degradation !.
3) Would the reduced reported range of the battery make you nervous about buying say a three year old GTE that by now could only be reporting a predicted range of say ........ 25 miles after a full charge ????.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've found something in the manual that says that it's normal for the first few cycles, I'll see how it goes
Many thanks for all the info and suggestions :)

·
Registered
660 Posts
If you have a Ross-tech VCDS lead; you can check the HV battery health, providing a % on every cell; comparisons can be seen between all cells overall.
My last check showed all within 0.1% off one another; but after many part/full charges on various charge rates; generally get 25/26 miles with A/C on, 28/29 A/C off.
No longer get concerned at GOM reading, as always have an ICE ready and waiting, and a 8 year battery warranty.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I've found something in the manual that says that it's normal for the first few cycles, I'll see how it goes
Many thanks for all the info and suggestions :)
I would check to see if you have your climate control turned on from the previous journey !. I think nearly everybody on this forum has at sometime left either there climate just turned on at the lower level prior to charging the car. If you leave the climate turned on - charge the car and then turn on the car the following morning it will drop the predicted range on the GOM by 5 or 6 miles instantly !. Having the drivers door mirror in the "heated" section will pull down the range by 1 mile also !.

·
Daniel
123 Posts
If you''d bought 30kWh Leafs you could have added a hundred to that! ;)
Paying extra for 26 electric miles doesn't seem worth the higher cost.
But we'd be in one of the ugliest cars ever made and a 400 mile journey in a day when needed would be impossible ;) Go on, tell me it's beautiful and gets a 200 mile charge in 5 mins!

·
Daniel
123 Posts
When fully charged its only showing 26 miles and the gauge isn't showing full ... any ideas ?
Seriously, back on post, and sorry sure this is covered elsewhere in the GTE forum, but do you reckon it's better to almost fully discharge the battery then recharge (I currently do a 9 mile round trip and top up each night)?

I'm personally with Carty's earlier post point 1) - The GOM is predicted, so just drive it enjoy it, and charge it each night (and no John I don't want a leaf!)

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I would go with: charge it when you need to. With 9 miles round trip, I would expect that you can make it a couple of days (18 miles) before needing a charge. Three days (27 miles) would be near impossible.

·
Daniel
123 Posts
I would go with: charge it when you need to. With 9 miles round trip, I would expect that you can make it a couple of days (18 miles) before needing a charge. Three days (27 miles) would be near impossible.
Thanks Tudor - will see what charging every other night does for the guess o meter - I only have prior experience of lithium ion powered hedgecutters to go by (and they don't have a metres to cut GOM!). Hope these replies are helpful to Clattergate.

As an aside a diesel taxi floored it past me in traffic today and filled my cabin with PM particulates, so that's a great handle Clattergate has in the context of the forum ;)

PS And I'm with Brianw66 on the 8 year warranty tip in any event!

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
But we'd be in one of the ugliest cars ever made and a 400 mile journey in a day when needed would be impossible ;) Go on, tell me it's beautiful and gets a 200 mile charge in 5 mins!
How many 26's in 400 ? Five minutes or not, that's an awful lot of stopping to do if you wish to run purely on electric. 26 miles isn't worth the bother.

·
Registered
440 Posts
How many 26's in 400 ? Five minutes or not, that's an awful lot of stopping to do if you wish to run purely on electric. 26 miles isn't worth the bother.
Most People don't buy/lease/get this car to run completely on electric.

Although some are able to given their usage pattern.

Not sure what your point is in the discussion to be honest.

·
Registered
107 Posts
At best VW project battery to have 70% capacity by eight years for warranty considerations, so you could expect 31 to decrease to 21.7 which is probably conservative. At some point number of full charge/discharge cycles must also factor in rate of degradation which could reach 2000-3000 over this period, or nearly double that if charging at work as well.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts