Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Ampera, as my Co. car
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(disclaimer)
I shall be involved with selling & specifying this product in my new role, but not employed by them.
Thought it would be of interest / relevant for this forum?
(/disclaimer)

http://www.bluegen.info/EV_Charging/

This unit is about the size of a washing machine, uses natural/grid gas to generate 1.5KW (soon to be 2KW) of electrical output, 24/7, rain or shine ;-) at 60% electrical efficiency - via an electro-chemical reaction of the hydrogen within the methane, within the gas (without burning the gas).

To put into context it generates the same amount of electricity as 75sqM of PV (over the year = 13,000KwH), along with 200 litres of hot water per day.

The unit is ideal for decentralised electric generation, which is low carbon (half that of the Grid) and at half the cost (to generate) of the Grid...

They are also eligible for FITs under micro-CHP (which is the only place it could be 'lodged' with BRE).

Super Moderator
That's interesting. It's a similar efficiency to a gas turbine power station, isn't it?

Super Moderator
Yes that's true. What kind of transmission loss/efficiency is here for getting the gas to my house?

Super Moderator
Well I assume there is energy going to pressurise the gas lines...? I'm not trying to pick an argument, just genuinely not sure about how the gas gets to my house....!

Ampera, as my Co. car
Discussion Starter #8
Think of this for buildings not suitable for PV. Shall revert back on costs asthis is being thrashed out currently with the manufacturers.... From previous proposals was looking at being around 7year payback? Costs varywidely onnew build vs retrofit (especially with regards to the water storage element).

Premium Member
I tried to look into this last autumn (along with the Baxi Ecogen micro CHP) and got the impression that Bluegen was only interested in selling into residential homes and to social landlords. Has that changed?

Ampera, as my Co. car
Discussion Starter #10
Resi makes the most sense due to FITs. (1 claim per site, pretty much) and the units output - you cant daisy chain them for multiple FITs - I am looking at small non resi buildings ;-) you need large numbers to make the sales process worth while too.

Militant EV driver!
There are way more loses that just pumping the natural gas down the local pipes and there is resistance.

Don't forget the energy involved in drilling, and in cases liquifaction, transportation from the middle east, storage and possibly more so in the future fracking including pumping fracking fluid and cleaning the resulting output.

Super Moderator
Chris

Would this system work in a off grid situation and possibly on bottled gas, I am working on an Echo lodge project that would cost a fortune to conect to the grid

Ampera, as my Co. car
Discussion Starter #14
There are way more loses that just pumping the natural gas down the local pipes and there is resistance.

Don't forget the energy involved in drilling, and in cases liquifaction, transportation from the middle east, storage and possibly more so in the future fracking including pumping fracking fluid and cleaning the resulting output.
Agreed. This will continue to happen, as like it or not gas is here to stay forever in the UK.

Super Moderator
In theory yes, cant see why not. Would need a few 'fail safes' and monitoring of the storage tank....Are you working with a Tim on this scheme? Im looking to combine with large output ASHP.
Tim Who?:D

Super Moderator
I think that if we can't get a system that works fairly soon they will have to bite the bullet and pay the huge bill for connection to the grid

Militant EV driver!
Agreed. This will continue to happen, as like it or not gas is here to stay forever in the UK.
That as may, I'd like to see a well to wheel analysis of the claims rather than just what happens when the gas enters your property. You can't say it's cleaner than grid electricity but ignore the effects of the whole gas supply chain. I'm not saying its better or worse, I'd just like to see the numbers.

Ampera, as my Co. car
Discussion Starter #18
That as may, I'd like to see a well to wheel analysis of the claims rather than just what happens when the gas enters your property. You can't say it's cleaner than grid electricity but ignore the effects of the whole gas supply chain. I'm not saying its better or worse, I'd just like to see the numbers.
Rather open ended calculation, as it would depend on where the gas is coming from (how deep, which continent). Like i said, hard to quantify. Id imagine the claims from the manufacturer would be based on accepted figures from the likes of DECC. You're welcome to take it up with both parties of course....

Registered
Not if I have anything to do with it.

Reactions: Edd Beesley
1 - 20 of 21 Posts