Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ONTO have just announced, that in addition to the VW e-Up, they will be offering the ID.3 on their all inclusive monthly subscription from this July. Models and price are yet to be confirmed. The e-Up will cost a very competitive £339 a month, so hopefully ONTO will have some ID.3s at very good prices as well. Watch this space!

·
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
97B17737-E0C2-4DF4-BE6B-D3F87C71BD1A.png

·
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Blimey, that's a lot of money! Though I guess it means you can switch cars every month to match your outfit and suchlike...
Don’t forget that it’s all inclusive. For someone with high insurance costs (due to age, location or no NCD) and uses public chargers a lot, it’s not as expensive as it first looks. Useful as a way to try before you buy, car hire alternative, or if there’s a gap between one PCP/lease finishing and the next one starting. And if you manage to get a few referrals, that helps off set the cost somewhat.

Reactions: burnt_crisps2

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Don’t forget that it’s all inclusive. For someone with high insurance costs (due to age, location or no NCD) and uses public chargers a lot, it’s not as expensive as it first looks. Useful as a way to try before you buy, car hire alternative, or if there’s a gap between one PCP/lease finishing and the next one starting. And if you manage to get a few referrals, that helps off set the cost somewhat.
Yeah, I wouldn't rule them out for that kind of 'gap bridging' thing as you say. I think for EV owners, they'll be particularly useful for dealing with waiting lists. Like, those wanting a lease of something coming out in a few months like the Ioniq 5, Kia EV6, or Nissan Ariya whose existing lease runs out a few months before deliveries of those cars start... Onto would be a useful service for people like that.

·
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I wouldn't rule them out for that kind of 'gap bridging' thing as you say. I think for EV owners, they'll be particularly useful for dealing with waiting lists. Like, those wanting a lease of something coming out in a few months like the Ioniq 5, Kia EV6, or Nissan Ariya whose existing lease runs out a few months before deliveries of those cars start... Onto would be a useful service for people like that.
Having said that, on the community forum, there are a lot of subscribers who keep their vehicles (or indeed swap them between the different models available) long term. I’ve been with ONTO for over two years now, and I’m by no means an exception.

If you use the full allowance of 1000 miles (you can purchase extra), that would mean you’re paying 56p per mile TCO. How much more is that than you hope your ID.3 costs you?

Reactions: burnt_crisps2

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Tour
176 Posts
ONTO has turned out to be a stonking good deal, if you use public charging a lot. We liked it a lot, but did end up on salary sacrifice lease because overall, the TCO was lower if we charged at home and minimised public charging need (with a long range). If we used a lot of ultra-rapid public charging we'd probably be comparable - although our insurance is high due to various reasons so that edges it closer.

The uncertainty is what makes it hard - not knowing whether the rug will be pulled, prices will increase, or the charging networks changed etc - and they do have the right to say very quickly - we want to swap your car. Sometimes I felt in a constant state of making sure the car was clean and ready to be given back! Not quite the same as a lease where that only becomes a problem at the end, and you can manage that yourself.

It is a difficult model sometimes to live with because it never feels quite like you've got a certainty what you'll have in 3 months. And you can't quickly get another car on lease always if that uncertainty occurs. However they are in such a different place now with a lot of cars, a big business, and you'd expect, stability. It should be seriously considered especially for an ID3 doubter wondering whether to take a lease on one.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Were I still looking, I’d put my man maths skills to the test and crunch it all out. I paid just over £30,000 for my ID.3 (note, Family trim… on your ONTO screenshot it is Life trim which is a fair bit cheaper). That was paid for with a £20,000 personal loan at just under 3% and the rest cash. My monthly repayments on the loan are about £350/m over 5 years. Insurance something like £25/m if spread over the year (I paid upfront to save on interest). I maybe spend £20-£30/m at rapid chargers, as I do all of my local charging at home. So let’s say my per month ID.3 costs are something like £400/m… maybe slightly over that with servicing, but not much more as that would be spread over 24 months I believe.

Though, to that, you can also add that if I got a car on ONTO I would have kept the £10,000+ cash that I put into the ID.3, and could have invested that for a return.

But of course, after 5 years once I have paid off my loan there will still be equity left in the car. Perhaps that will offset the fact that I put my own cash into it, plus any gains I might have made from investing.

And again, my car is Family trim, not Life.

Would be an interesting man maths thing to nerd out on over a spreadsheet if I were still in the market, but that ship has sailed for me now so I’m not personally interested anymore.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,104 Posts
Public charging is turning out to be quite a big benefit for me, especially with faster charging cars where I ideally want to use the likes of Ionity as much as possible.

£600 racked up so far since late Jan, (not including any BP Pulse sites)

·
3,104 Posts
The other main benefit of a service like Onto (besides being able to quickly stop the outlay without any hassle if needs must) is that if you get a lemon of a car, or, I dunno, it has a few bits completely missing ( ;) ), then you can just give it back super easily and swap it for another, or get something else entirely.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The other main benefit of a service like Onto (besides being able to quickly stop the outlay without any hassle if needs must) is that if you get a lemon of a car, or, I dunno, it has a few bits completely missing ( ;) ), then you can just give it back super easily and swap it for another, or get something else entirely.
Ha! I don’t know what you mean… ;)

In my case, if I were going to pick a new EV today it would be a VW ID.3 Family spec. I had a lot of early problems with the software on mine, but it has been flawless for a while now. I had suspicions at one point that mine might be a lemon, but I don’t think I do anymore (admittedly, I may be setting myself up to look silly here if it does go wrong again!).

Literally the only thing I don’t like about it is that the sound system isn’t very good in my opinion. But I’m fixing that later this month by getting an aftermarket upgrade that will cost me a bit over a grand. I still think the ID.3 will have been decent value, even allowing for sinking an extra grand into it. Plus, I expect the upgraded audio won’t just sound acceptable then, but will sound excellent and better than most other cars’ factory systems at least for cars in a similar price bracket.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
I’d definitely have had one for a month if they’d been available around Easter. No regrets about jumping on the cheap lease deal though (at least since 2.1 was installed…)

·
3,104 Posts
In my case, if I were going to pick a new EV today it would be a VW ID.3 Family spec.
(y) I decided to get one from Onto to try out so will be swapping the e208 for one in early July.

Life model isn’t really ideal, but it seems to have most key bits I think (a lot more than the e208 GT does) and thankfully Onto have opted to spec them with alloys (the cheaper ones) rather than leaving it with the steel wheels and hub cabs.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
(y) I decided to get one from Onto to try out so will be swapping the e208 for one in early July.

Life model isn’t really ideal, but it seems to have most key bits I think (a lot more than the e208 GT does) and thankfully Onto have opted to spec them with alloys (the cheaper ones) rather than leaving it with the steel wheels and hub cabs.
You’ll love it I’m sure, especially as it looks like they have the 200(ish) bhp ones, so will be more what you’re used to coming from a Kona before. Life is missing some toys, but as you say, it covers all the basics at least.

·
3,104 Posts
200(ish) bhp ones, so will be more what you’re used to coming from a Kona before
Oddly, I feel like the e208 is quicker in a lot of situations than the Kona was. In the e208 you can use all there is at any time and it transfers that power into forward motion…the Kona often transferred it into wheelspin so you ended up using much less than is, on paper, available. e208 also leagues ahead of the Kona in terms of being enjoyable to drive and general driving dynamics. Hoping the ID.3 will prove to be a nice compromise of many of the good bits of the i3, Kona and e208.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Oddly, I feel like the e208 is quicker in a lot of situations than the Kona was. In the e208 you can use all there is at any time and it transfers that power into forward motion…the Kona often transferred it into wheelspin so you ended up using much less than is, on paper, available. e208 also leagues ahead of the Kona in terms of being enjoyable to drive and general driving dynamics. Hoping the ID.3 will prove to be a nice compromise of many of the good bits of the i3, Kona and e208.
Yeah, I’ve never driven a Kona myself but I’ve heard they have a tough time putting down the power. I’ve never experienced much of an issue with that in the ID.3. I think being RWD helps. You can put your foot down and it’ll handle it.

·
3,104 Posts
Yep, I wouldn’t have another FWD EV with more than, say, 200 lb-ft of torque again - the Kona has 290 odd (vs ID3’s 230 ish, and just under 200 in the other two), but the Kona’s can only really be used at higher speeds, and even without wheelspin the torque steer was fairly unappealing at lower speeds.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts