Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Our 2 week old Zoe is booked in at Renault digbeth this Friday so they can check why we keep getting 'hill start' and 'ESC' error/spanner message on dash almost every trip... and wifey now says she just had 'battery charging impossible' error/spanner message pop up on dash as she waited at lights, followed a few minutes later by the car refusing to go into drive or restart after she reversed out of space coming home from supermarket (it was ok again after few mins).

I've read elsewhere on forum that another user had hill start/esc error caused by faulty brake switch so hoping it's something simple like this - but if anyone has other helpful suggestions re what could be the problem that would be helpful as like to be as clued up as possible when speaking to the service desk/techs.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,862 Posts
Also check the condition of the 12v battery. How old is the car?

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,402 Posts
I can not help at all (sorry) but I am intrigued by the ESC message. Is that literally what you see in the message? I am asking as the ESC is the "ABS computer" (Electronic Stability Control). And yes it is directly wired to the braking pedal switch. I have never seen anything in a message referring to that technical name.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,166 Posts
Sitting in a yard for a while.. under-utilised .... yet another case of a 12V battery going wrong?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can not help at all (sorry) but I am intrigued by the ESC message. Is that literally what you see in the message? I am asking as the ESC is the "ABS computer" (Electronic Stability Control). And yes it is directly wired to the braking pedal switch. I have never seen anything in a message referring to that technical name.
It just says 'check ESC'. Sometimes says 'check hill start assist', then invariably follows immediately with ESC error, but sometimes it's just the ESC. We've done just over 600 miles in it - had 15 on the clock when bought - and yes, it had been sitting unused on forecourt since end of Jan (and presumably a while elsewhere before the dealer purchased) so could be an issue with 12v battery although we've been through quite a few 7kw charge cycles now, which I believe is how it replenishes?

·
4,402 Posts
Thanks for that info Alan. It doesn't sound like a 12 Volt system issue That usually leads to a "Check Electrical System" error, though if the 12 V is acting up, you can get the weirdest errors indeed. As you're seeing ESC and hill assist messages, which are all brake related (ick!!!) my bet is somewhere in that area. That is no fun at all and this is an area of the car where I'd say "amateur help" is irresponsible, so I'll back off.

The 12 V system is, to my knowledge, being charged both while charging as well as while driving.

·
27,166 Posts
My usual boring advice here - stick the 12V on a long 48 hour float charge over the weekend. Don't trouble the dealer to mis-diagnose anything just yet!

·
Registered
802 Posts
The 12 V battery is charged from the moment the doors are opened. You can purchase battery meters that plug into the cigarette lighter socket for a few pounds and can easily see what the 12 V battery is doing. I would go down the dealer route, I suspect the fault lies else where but if the 12 V battery has been completely discharged then its life will be dramatically reduced and should be replaced. I read somewhere that someone else had problems with the ABS warning messages and it was due to an airlock in the brake pipes.

·
Play by the king and love is all I bring
1,724 Posts

·
27,166 Posts
The 12 V battery is charged from the moment the doors are opened. You can purchase battery meters that plug into the cigarette lighter socket for a few pounds and can easily see what the 12 V battery is doing. I would go down the dealer route, I suspect the fault lies else where but if the 12 V battery has been completely discharged then its life will be dramatically reduced and should be replaced. I read somewhere that someone else had problems with the ABS warning messages and it was due to an airlock in the brake pipes.
Really?

The high voltage battery engages as soon as you open a door?

I doubt that. Can anyone confirm?

·
Zoe Devotee
8,862 Posts
Really?

The high voltage battery engages as soon as you open a door?

I doubt that. Can anyone confirm?

I'm fairly sure the 12v kicks a lot of stuff the moment you click the unlock button, you can hear the servo priming etc, but the 400v really should be doing anything until you've pressed the Start button surely?

·
4,402 Posts
I'll do some testing with the multimeter when I feel awfully bored. Lead-Acid battery voltage changes significantly when the charger kicks in, so it shouldn't be too hard. There is a 12 volt voltage and current reading in the ChargingTech screen in CanZE, but I forgot if it is works decently. Will check that when the bored-o-meter is hitting the red zone too.

BTW, what @Big277wave states about a flat 12 Volt battery is absolutely correct. It destroys them pretty quickly. In my mishap that only lasted for a few hours (on 5 Volt!!), and luckily it survived.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,862 Posts
I've deep discharged a couple of 12v batteries in my time with my old mini, all it takes is a poor earth and and few weeks parked in the garage and the battery is toast.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Zoe's back from the menders- Renault digbeth nicely efficient.. called me to explain theyd captured loads of messages on the diagnostics relating to brake pedal switch, which they checked and found loose connection, and also missing harness clips which I'll have to go back to get fitted as didn't have any in stock. Couldn't find any diagnostics relating to the 'battery charging impossible' error, but been no te-appearance so fingers x'd thats it sorted now.

Ps. Nice and handy that it's right opposite tesla , so I can chill out drinking nice coffee and pilfering free snack bars while I'm waiting...;).

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Glad they were able to pin it down to the loose connection at brake pedal switch harness, probably caused by missing clips allowing harness to stress connectors.
Hope you now get the trouble free motoring like I have enjoyed in my 1 yr + with Zoe.

·
27,166 Posts
'BCI' from a brake switch?

Sigh. The sad thing is ... I can believe it!....

From the engineering team that brought you "End of Soak Cycle".

·
4,402 Posts
Necro post alert!

I just read that a hill start error will be displayed when accidentally the gear is positioned between two indents. First the PRND flashes, then this error. It will clear itself after two Start button pushes. Adding it here as somebody might end up here when searching for hill start error.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Necro post alert!

I just read that a hill start error will be displayed when accidentally the gear is positioned between two indents. First the PRND flashes, then this error. It will clear itself after two Start button pushes. Adding it here as somebody might end up here when searching for hill start error.

Hi yoh-there,

I am experiencing this error on my Renault Captur 1.5 diesel. The error appears on start up and won't go away. It's been a few days now.

Have tried double-pressing the Start button but no joy.

I am going to take the car in for inspection on Monday and will post the outcome here.

Cheers.
J

1 - 20 of 20 Posts