Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! 馃殌馃殌馃殌馃殌
If you had a software update and lost battery capacity after that here you have video how to recover a bit of it!
I also talk about Opel Ampera battery in general.
Enjoy watching :)

Registered
GM parts direct quotes a price for the battery pack, I don't remember the exact value but $7K comes to mind, if you're interested in the Volt / Ampera development there is a book by the SAE which cover some of the design details it's ISBN number is 9780768047653.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
GM parts direct quotes a price for the battery pack, I don't remember the exact value but $7K comes to mind, if you're interested in the Volt / Ampera development there is a book by the SAE which cover some of the design details it's ISBN number is 9780768047653.
Thanks! $7K sounds way too high if its the same capacity as the original one. In US for that price you can buy decent Volt so it makes no sense.

Registered
It seems so... The truth is I've done it only once as it's very time consuming and I don't have place to do it. At there very beginning I would observe like 0.2kWh gain. Now from time to time I get that score but it seems like it's back to 8.7kWhs :(
To keep things in the correct topic, have you tried the procedure in this video? He switches between mountain mode and battery while driving.

I also got the update and the car went from 9.8 / 10 to 8.6 / 8.8kWh max but my cheap OBD connector doesn't work with MyVoltCapacity and with other apps like Car Scanner ELM I don't get the info about the cell voltages, so not sure if doing the procedure does have any effect.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
To keep things in the correct topic, have you tried the procedure in this video? He switches between mountain mode and battery while driving.

I also got the update and the car went from 9.8 / 10 to 8.6 / 8.8kWh max but my cheap OBD connector doesn't work with MyVoltCapacity and with other apps like Car Scanner ELM I don't get the info about the cell voltages, so not sure if doing the procedure does have any effect.
Yes I've tried but it didn't help at all :(

Registered
Is this only a 2013 model year issue related to this article?

Registered
I suggest you read this thread, in particular post #10, it may be related?

Sound like you just have to fully discharge a few times to rebalance the cells?

Registered
Is this only a 2013 model year issue related to this article?

It was initially for the 2013 MY but then was applied to the entire range.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Complete charging and discharging haven't helped in my case. Maybe indeed the battery has lost it's capacity but due to bad software it was not noticeable... and now after the update cells were rebalanced properly.

Registered
I only had the propulsion power reduced once and it was because I was going uphill with a depleted battery at 150km/h. This is normal according to the car manual, the lower buffer is depleted and we are stuck with the 86cv of the ICE.

I did get the Service High Voltage Charging System warning and the sensor and cabling were replaced under warranty and the updated was applied.

I tried the method from the video, didn't let the car running on idle until battery depleted, did try to leave it on with everything off but it takes forever to deplete the battery and eventually the car shuts down. So since I had good estimate about having at max 8.6 to 8.8kWh after the update I tried the mountain mode / normal switch a few times in the last three drives.

Today I went to a longer drive at higher speeds and usually at these speeds I would get lower kWh usage. I got 9.1 kWh, so it seems to work, but it's still lower than before the update.

What I have noticed after the software update is that my fuel usage is lower than before, probably more battery buffer available to use?

Registered
Do you know if there is an official website from GM/chevrolet or Opel with information about this software update/recall?

Registered
2014 Chevy Volt
Do you know if there is an official website from GM/chevrolet or Opel with information about this software update/recall?
Not that I鈥檓 aware of. I only found out about the update through a Volt Facebook group. My car鈥檚 still under the avoltec warranty but dealer knew nothing about it until I asked them to look into it, which was a little concerning. I suspect there are hundreds of Amperas/Volts running around which are supposed to get this update, but GM has not fed the info down to the dealerships.

Registered
I guess one way to find out is to check the cell voltages. How does one go about doing that? I guess I'll need to upgrade from my cheap ELM327 wireless obd reader and free version of Car scanner?

Registered
Otherwise there is an app on google play called myGreenVolt that may work with cheaper hardware. Plenty of other threads about that app apparently.

The app doesn't work with my cheap ELM327-mini though, all I get is the engine temperature.

Registered
Yes, that VCX nano. That one emulates the one used by the dealer and you can also buy an online subscription to update software on the car if necessary. Software is included.

I also have a cheap one that doesn't work with MGV, but does work to some extent with Car Scanner. Everyone talks about the Obdlink MX, but the price is the same as the VCX nano (or more expensive) and the only plus is the Obdlink is smaller and has bluetooth connection to Android.

I'm really tempted to buy a VCX nano, was thinking about it when I bought the car but since it still was under warranty I never bothered. Car is now out of warranty since July and never had an issue that needed it, so I might buy it now just to control the battery status.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts