Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
This is great - I would love it even more if it used different colours or shapes for different charge levels.

One interesting note is that this shows one of the many pitfalls of OCM data - I spotted a private home address on this map.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Well, it's lifting data from other sources - Plugshare for one. And there are many omissions and pins in the wrong places.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One interesting note is that this shows one of the many pitfalls of OCM data - I spotted a private home address on this map.
If an end users decides to publish their data then so be it.... this is simply a subset of the data with no attempts to clean or anything else

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
yes in fact I understand the google maps API pretty well, used it for a few projects, however the native tools are really not enough you need to build ontop of it. So far the best I have seen is zap map, if someone has something better than happy to take a look at it.

as others have said simple colour codeing would be a start to help you make sense of the data, but a better menu, search and wrap it all up in a nice UI and you have a winner.

·
Registered
610 Posts
No, this is all user contributed data as my post says... you'll find in reality that Plugshare uses OCM data.
Some of it may - however I've been prolific in adding sites, correcting info and adding information - and I do this to PS, and my text is all there. We need another mapping source like a hole in the head.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Some of it may - however I've been prolific in adding sites, correcting info and adding information - and I NLC do this to PS, and my text is all there. Weneed another mapping source like a hole in the head.
I don't think we really need another map, but I believe there is a need for a truly open source database of charger locations for people to build their apps and data upon.

Is the Open Charge Map database the best answer? I don't know, but it seems like it's the only "open" solution out there just now. They have a tough job as they don't really focus on app or map building, but database building, and ZapMap (as one example) have built a good map application that makes it all very easy.

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Is the Open Charge Map database the best answer? I don't know, but it seems like it's the only "open" solution out there just now. They have a tough job as they don't really focus on app or map building, but database building, and ZapMap (as one example) have built a good map application that makes it all very easy.
Unfortunately the license(s) for OCM make it difficult to do anything interesting with the data. If it was truly open then it would be a lot more interesting.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I don't think we really need another map, but I believe there is a need for a truly open source database of charger locations for people to build their apps and data upon.

unfortunately to the average man in the street with an EV, that Kevin keeps using as the yard stick, open source, database vs application is all irrelevant. They want a map that is easy to use, has all the charge points in it and looks good while being simple to use.

They have no interest in licenses, types of open source agreement, or platform, toolset or UI Kit, what they want is a map, plain and simple

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Both the above are fair and oft repeated remarks. As I understand it more people are involved in that now? Maybe things will improve.

I totally agree that people just want easy and reliable, it's really all that matters.

·
Registered
610 Posts
And what will you do when they close the site or sell the data?
Absolutely nothing. All my verified data and photography is safely curated on Pin Drop. My data remains current and is available to anyone. My issue is the carp data on OCM being touted as 'definitive' when it patently isn't.

·
Registered
707 Posts
In an ideal world all of the maps would draw the charging data from a common location or from a copy of common data. After all, the only chargers needing to be in the data are those that are public, and it seems like info about public chargers should be public-domain, anyway.

Some map developers are going to be tempted to try to retain user-contributed information as proprietary to their service instead of pushing that data upstream into some "public-domain" data repository. This is unfortunate... I would much-rather these developers view their map interface and controls and user-friendliness as their property... and not the user-contributed data.

So that's where we're at right now... a dozen map apps all hoarding their own bits of data and taking whatever "open" and "public" data they can from wherever. Users contribute data to whatever database their favorite app uses, and all of these are sitting around waiting for Google or some giant corporation to dominate the data market and bring order and harmony to it.

The amount of discord on SpeakEV is astounding. Everything doesn't need to be so controversial.

I believe that OCM's intentions are to bring the order and harmony to the universe of charging-location data without it needing to be swallowed-up first by Google or similar... keeping public data public. That Google is utilizing OCM - instead of building their own proprietary database to rule the world - is a good thing and a step in the right direction.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts