Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
LOL o_O Some of us would like to buy an OVMS, but they've been out of stock for weeks, with no further info etc. it looks like a dead project... Shame...
It is certainly not a dead project. Nothing could be further from the truth!

It is true that the hardware supply is limited right now but it is every bit as active as it has always been from the development side.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have just checked out the latest version of http://openchargemap.org/app/ and it has changed quite a bit! Unfortunately it is like trying to route-plan through a letterbox. On my PC the map is 1275px wide by only 420px high (it seems to limit to 420px high no matter what). PlugShare give me a map that is 1920px by 925px; it makes almost all of the screen available as map. I'm afraid I like a big map! Is there anything that can be done?
Matt, the letterbox issue has been fixed now so the information will take up the whole screen - tried it on my telly.. now that's a big map.

On low resolutions there is a toggle for map/list view, at higher resolutions you see both.

·
Registered
62 Posts
@MetalHead For what it is worth, I would certainly support OCM if app-based data collection was introduced.

The fact the user can plot their exact spot (and or modify it using an aerial photograph) makes for excellent accuracy. There will always be some who either don't know or care about the accuracy (or, to be honest, spelling or useful info) but if someone can update it to correct means the data is invariably more accurate than (say) Zap Map or CYC who placed pins with cavalier abandon and requires emailing them - if anyone can be bothered.

Fingers crossed!
Just to confirm, the app already lets you edit and place a marker - but you'd like it to fetch your current GPS position and use that to edit the marker position?

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,578 Posts
Matt, the letterbox issue has been fixed now so the information will take up the whole screen - tried it on my telly.. now that's a big map.

On low resolutions there is a toggle for map/list view, at higher resolutions you see both.
Wonderful - now that is great service!!

A few further comments (please take these as suggestions rather than demands).
1) For some reason when I reload the map (or type the app address into a new window), I get Northampton results, even though the search bar shows my last searched location. I suspect that my IP address is listed as being located there for some reason so Chrome picks that as my current location. Perhaps the solution would be to be able to set a home address and have a cookie-based setting to start on home address or "current address". Maybe you could also have the option for "last address shown" as the start location.
2) The list section on the right seems too wide considering the data it contains - there is a vast white gap between the left and right justified data. It would be great to be able to resize this.
3) As we already have a text pane on the screen, why not put the data about a charge-point here when you click on it, rather than making it full-screen. It is annoying to lose the map.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Wonderful - now that is great service!!

A few further comments (please take these as suggestions rather than demands).
1) For some reason when I reload the map (or type the app address into a new window), I get Northampton results, even though the search bar shows my last searched location. I suspect that my IP address is listed as being located there for some reason so Chrome picks that as my current location. Perhaps the solution would be to be able to set a home address and have a cookie-based setting to start on home address or "current address". Maybe you could also have the option for "last address shown" as the start location.
2) The list section on the right seems too wide considering the data it contains - there is a vast white gap between the left and right justified data. It would be great to be able to resize this.
3) As we already have a text pane on the screen, why not put the data about a charge-point here when you click on it, rather than making it full-screen. It is annoying to lose the map.
All valid points I'll have to think about:
- the app is doing a search near "your location" by default on each load, on mobile that's generally what you want, on desktop it might not be.
- list view can definitely take up less space in widescreen mode, but resizeable would have go onto a future todo list.
- hadn't actually thought of using that area for details despite having done so in another similar app recently. food for thought, doesn't work for small screens but past a certain resolution it would be a good thing.

·
Registered
62 Posts
On the original topic of publishing OCM data to the Google Maps Gallery, I now have 7 people from Google involved in the discussion internally, I feel a bit guilty now ;)

I anyone has used the Google Maps Engine API to publish data (we're currently just pull Linked KML from our API output), please speak up!

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
On the original topic of publishing OCM data to the Google Maps Gallery, I now have 7 people from Google involved in the discussion internally, I feel a bit guilty now ;)

I anyone has used the Google Maps Engine API to publish data (we're currently just pull Linked KML from our API output), please speak up!
We used Google Fusion tables to do this which uses OCM data (and others)
https://evstatus.com/chargers.php#map
A proper KML involving OCM data was on my TODO list, but people like yourself seem to be doing a good job.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Processor speed has nothing to do with connectivity. Indeed the device uses GPRS which is the sole domain of 2G. For the UK, GPRS remains an important part of M2M connectivity - indeed my Renault EV uses a Vodafone Germany SiM which provides the backhaul to Renault's servers. Since many EVs already have proprietary connectivity, not many will invest in OVMS for the limited additions it offers, simply to have two connection methods.

I would suggest this is really a diversion which will never be mainstream, and should be back-burnered whilst smartphone apps promoted.

:)

·
Registered
62 Posts
We used Google Fusion tables to do this which uses OCM data (and others)
https://evstatus.com/chargers.php#map
A proper KML involving OCM data was on my TODO list, but people like yourself seem to be doing a good job.
Yes have tried fusion tables in the past, this is similar, I'll need to regularly push the data in via their API rather than using Linked KML. Really just standard API stuff for whoever finds the time, Google themselves seem quite keen on doing what they can to help, which is nice.

I also just added experimental GeoJSON output as well (&output=geojson), not for public consumption and will change without warning but handy for me because I was trying it out with the very impressive QGIS desktop app (http://www.qgis.org/en/site/):

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Next up is an update page/RSS feed for new charge points on OCM.
Doing something that points some form of map link type info isn't much more effort, so might do that at the same time.
Nice to know Google are supporting this kind of thing.
I'd just used Fusion tables initially as they're so simple. Proper API next.

I like the GIS image.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts