Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to this thread, https://speakev.com/threads/ev-route-planner.5003/page-11 the data in OCM is so unreliable that @Paul_Churchley has had to abandon his EV Route Mapping project. On his blog he mentiond that his offers to help rectify the data and ensure future data quality were rebuffed by the OCM project owner.

It does seem odd that if the data is OCM is not fit for purpose, why turn down an offer by a user to help rectify it and improve things.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
According to this thread, https://speakev.com/threads/ev-route-planner.5003/page-11 the data in OCM is so unreliable that @Paul_Churchley has had to abandon his EV Route Mapping project. On his blog he mentiond that his offers to help rectify the data and ensure future data quality were rebuffed by the OCM project owner.

It does seem odd that if the data is OCM is not fit for purpose, why turn down an offer by a user to help rectify it and improve things.
I had a false charger near me so I changed it on OCM. There is a slight delay while the moderator checks you are not messing about.

·
Ecohound
1,097 Posts
I have made a couple of contributions to OCM and will carry on as it is only as good as the information we contribute. I do like the fact that you do get feed back from real users and photo's of the charge points help with location.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Well that's a bit of a PITA then. Maybe it fell through a gap or maybe someone decided that it was duplicate of another nearby charger, either way my first update/new charger hasn't appeared after about three weeks.
I had to look up what PITA stands for. Pacific Islands Telecommunications Authority well they probably won't do any worse at organising charging facilities. Looking at OCM I see a different appearance on the data screen with new boxes for how recently the charge point was visited and verified. I suspect your update may have been lost in this change?

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
I had to look up what PITA stands for. Pacific Islands Telecommunications Authority well they probably won't do any worse at organising charging facilities. Looking at OCM I see a different appearance on the data screen with new boxes for how recently the charge point was visited and verified. I suspect your update may have been lost in this change?
No idea what's happened but at this stage I'm glad I stopped at one, it took a while to make sure I got all the details spot on and included good accurate information (including different directions and postcode for Sat Nav as ACTUAL postcode is wrong).

Maybe it's stuck in the pipes, but not an encouraging first effort.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
No idea what's happened but at this stage I'm glad I stopped at one, it took a while to make sure I got all the details spot on and included good accurate information (including different directions and postcode for Sat Nav as ACTUAL postcode is wrong).

Maybe it's stuck in the pipes, but not an encouraging first effort.
If you would care to pm me the details I will try again.

·
Registered
592 Posts
It is all a bit woeful really.

Example being Reading, Berkshire.

OCM has the all of the ones in the town centre car parks, ZapMap has none of them.
The one in the Garrard St Car Park is Polar/Chargemaster.
OCM shows them as free to charge, Chargemaster's site shows them as chargeable.

It is embarrassing when trying to explain to a non-EV owner how you find public charging.
Their first question is always "Is there just an app for your phone showing you the nearest ones? Are they on Google Maps?".
You then have to explain there are about 5 different cards you need to register for (SourceLondon, Ecotricity, Polar/ChargeMaster, PodPoint, CYC) and that there is no one central map, there are several, none are really that easy to use on a phone and none are ever accurate - best to check and plan carefully on your PC before you leave!

Dammit, even Waze doesn't support charging points.

This is a market opportunity.

·
Banned
3,116 Posts
@BeeJay lots of people are working hard on OCM to provide the database that we all need. Some are even working on automated charging session capture so that the OCM database is automatically updated everytime the car is on charge. Only users will solve this problem and to do that enough of them must care :)

In a 2011 OLEV meeting I suggested that grants for public Charging Stations should include a requirement for the location data and realtime status of chargers to be uploaded to the proposed National Charge Point Registry. The network vendors fought this proposal with a 'commitment' to voluntarily share the data with the NCR and today almost nobody does :(

I remember the first data that was entered into the Open Charge Map database by @electriccarbuyr and myself and today that project has grown to include 40,877 Charging Stations across the globe. Of course we want to see higher quality data but that will only come from the users rolling up their sleeves :cool:

·
Registered
592 Posts
I too have submitted to OCM, but it is a shame that there is a not a funding-based mandate as you suggested. This stuff should be simply automated by a set of APIs with the providers to NCR, with NCR being a live source for something like OCM.

I suppose when it becomes a chargeable market, as opposed to the free one it is today, then the incentives for operators to both maintain and advertise the availability of their chargers will become more prevalent. At the moment I doubt they care if they are used or not.

To be truly fair, I have had some great service from the network staff, Ecotricity and PodPoint both being excellent.

The general state is still woeful though, despite the best endeavours of a few.

Reactions: John Riley

·
Banned
3,116 Posts
I suppose when it becomes a chargeable market, as opposed to the free one it is today, then the incentives for operators to both maintain and advertise the availability of their chargers will become more prevalent. At the moment I doubt they care if they are used or not.
This is the fundamental problem... the network providers make money out of installing chargers not the users of the service they provide... this will not change until OLEV stops the funding and the networks compete for EV driver business... today the solution is drive a PHEV/REx because charging is then a bonus not a deal breaker :)

·
Registered
592 Posts
Indeed. I am only considering a BEV for my wife when her car needs replacing based on the fact that with her usage model we would only ever need home charging.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I too have submitted to OCM, but it is a shame that there is a not a funding-based mandate as you suggested. This stuff should be simply automated by a set of APIs with the providers to NCR, with NCR being a live source for something like OCM.

To be truly fair, I have had some great service from the network staff, Ecotricity and PodPoint both being excellent.

The general state is still woeful though, despite the best endeavours of a few.
Unfortunately it is the operators who do charge like Chargemaster who seem to care the least about the end users and whether their chargers are used or usable. This is perhaps not surprising given that they have already been paid upfront with taxpayers' funds to supply and install the chargers.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,578 Posts
Do they physically visit the location? Otherwise, how do they check?
There isn't actually a "they" as such - some of the users have applied for editor status and they get to see the new entries and will accept them if they seem correct, or reject if bogus. I am an editor and I will occasionally run through pending entries and attempt to validate them. Generally I look for confirmation on the network's own map if specified, or try and figure out if there is other data to corroborate. Sometimes I fix fields that seem wrong or add missing items. If a charger is close enough for me to visit I will try and do so to confirm and to grab a photo.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts