Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Opening the hood on the i8

10K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  markweatherill 
#1 ·
Wow this really does look like its still a prototype, the demo on how to open the hood/bonnet is the most convoluted I have ever seen, also "it can take up to 90 seconds to open the petrol cap" had me going whaaaaat.

#8 ·
yeah maybe that is the only way for the bonnet, (electronic doors and fuel filler) but if there is no user serviceable items like screenwash then as they say you only open it in the shop...

#10 ·
It's not possible to open the front bonnet of a production i8 without a dealer. If a customer manages to get it open (by force resulting in damage), warranty invalidated I'm led to believe.

#12 ·
Yes, I believe it is a warranty issue if customer does open it.

#11 ·
I thought the line taken by BMW in the UK anyway is that the bonnet is only to be opened by BMW qualified technicians.

#15 · (Edited)
No, nothing. All in the rear. I know it seems weird, but it's no different to any other electrified car. It just so happens that the electrified bit is in the front on it's own, in the same way that you can't easily reach the HV bits of other cars where those are not under the bonnet.

#17 ·
I sat in an i8 today and the door locking is clever and all, but I think a mechanical door handle would mean they didn't need an electric door release or an 'emergency' release handle.
As for the front hood, that is just crazy! If anything it should have four pull cords and lift right off the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.