Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I have a couple of leaf batteries in the workshop and spent an hour or so today opening one up and beginning to remove the modules.

They are intended for the BEX project.

Not going to write about it but thought i'd post a few photos.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Nice pics - in all my lucky opportunities to look behind the scenes, I've never actually seen the innards of a commercial pack.

·
Super Moderator
7,459 Posts
VERY COOL! I've seen them going in at Sunderland, cool to see them coming out again!

Not sure if you've said (or decided!) yet, but are you going for a 33Ah pack in parallel with the stock pack, or will you be reworking into a single pack of 99Ah? If the latter, will you test the stock BMS to see if it can read up to 99Ah (we've seen stock packs read over 67Ah so it can go higher than 66) and also at 132Ah...?

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
VERY COOL! I've seen them going in at Sunderland, cool to see them coming out again!

Not sure if you've said (or decided!) yet, but are you going for a 33Ah pack in parallel with the stock pack, or will you be reworking into a single pack of 99Ah? If the latter, will you test the stock BMS to see if it can read up to 99Ah (we've seen stock packs read over 67Ah so it can go higher than 66) and also at 132Ah...?
:confused:

Reactions: Brooktop

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The plan ia to see what is possible and then decide. I think 50% is the best option as its small and light enough while srill providing a worthwile energy storage increase.

I think the first BEX leaf will be a whole leaf battery laid out on the boot and back seats just to see if it works!

It will almost certainly be a standalone as not enough space in the main pack

·
Super Moderator
7,459 Posts
the casing looks to be part of the structural integrity of the car, do you see it that way?
It's stamped from the same 3mm steel as the structural elements of the car, and I'm sure it does provide some rigidity, but it's not actually part of the structure. That's a definite improvement EV makers (except Tesla) can make.

Personally I don't think they will, the established automakers are playing the long game, waiting for energy densities to increase to get more range from the same volume, their batteries will always be petrol tankish size.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Think you might have invalidated the car's warranty though;)

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not got any scales that go that high but I'd guess 300kg ish.

Depends what you mean by man handleable.... I managed to shimmy the pallet they came on by 90 degrees to fit our forklift under it but that wasnt exactly easy!

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Any chance of sending details through Kevin? Nothing fron cara.

Hoping it will be ready but still finding it hard to find a suitable leaf!

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Was thinking about it however dont have a suotable camera!

Will see ig i get chance witb thw next battery :)

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Brill. Willdo. How many vehicles should i bring ;-)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts