Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Home charge point - If you order a new car the dealer may do it - e.g. when we bought our new Ioniq the dealer did everything for us as the charger was bundled into the deal by the manufacturer.
Remember it may be car/model specific so type 1 or 2 depending on your car.
The plugin car grant £3500 - is a different thing entirely, and may be scrapped soon, but it may not, who knows....

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
My installer did it I just filled a couple of boxes in and signed. No hassle at all. But even if took an hour that would, mean you'd be getting "paid" at maybe £200/hour.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Your installer will take care of it although you’ll need to supply some info and sign the forms. does not matter if the car is new or not, they will check to ensure you are eligible before proceeding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
I get the feeling that its almost like getting insurance bodywork done to a car.

2 prices, the inflated one with the OLEV and what Jo Basic electrician would take to do it.

Shop around.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
but what if i am getting it for my existing vehicle, not a brand new one?
As long as you are eligible the installer does the paperwork and collects the grant money.

This has caused some grief occasionally as some suppliers start the process to claim the money, but then don't get on with the installation. At that point most people would dump them and get another company in, but it's near impossible to do because the grant application locks them in, even though the money hasn't been paid over. So be careful who you choose.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Should be just one form and it's not that complicated. You might also need to draw a basic plan of your property to highlight the gas, electric supply and intended charging area. Also maybe a couple of pics of your charging area and your consumer unit (the fuse box). So not particularly hard to do and well worth the savings.

·
Premium Member
10,183 Posts
I have had two installed and don't remember the forms being any hassle. They are completed by OLEV registered installer and you just sign.

The grant process for the installer is a tad cumbersome which does increase their costs.

Do make sure you get a certificate for the installation - a few here have had hassle getting one after installation and it is necessary to prove installed to regs, etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
takes 5 - 10 mins max, as said most of the paperwork is done by the installer, and for that you get a big discount but also a 3 year warranty

1 - 13 of 13 Posts