Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks, just wondering what charge state you would normally keep your PHEV in, I'm reading that on a full EV it is wise to keep between 20 and 80% and only occasionally top up to 100%, I have a Skoda Superb iV PHEV and I normally top up to 100% and quite often completely deplete the battery, With it being a PHEV you obviously have a very reduced range perhaps up to 35 Miles in summer & considerably less in winter, so wouldn't like to reduce my already low range

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
581 Posts
Topping up to 100% is fine - what shortens the battery life is leaving it like that for much of its working life, especially in high temperatures. So charge up to 100% just before you are going to drive somewhere, if you can predict that. Otherwise between 20%-80% is a good rule of thumb.
As for low states of charge, I don't know how you control that in a PHEV, but I assume that the vehicle itself will take care of that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Topping up to 100% is fine - what shortens the battery life is leaving it like that for much of its working life, especially in high temperatures. So charge up to 100% just before you are going to drive somewhere, if you can predict that. Otherwise between 20%-80% is a good rule of thumb.
As for low states of charge, I don't know how you control that in a PHEV, but I assume that the vehicle itself will take care of that.

Thanks Anahata, as far as the low charge is concerned if I leave it on electric when it drops to 1 or 2% the combustion engine kicks in, or I can switch to hybrid mode and when the charge is say at 10% and it will hold the charge at 10%

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
PHEV's are slightly different as the maker knows they will charge to 100% most days and then be driven till discharged. I would not be surprised if yours in reality charges to 90% and discharges to 10% of the real capacity so the battery is never stuck on full or empty.

According to pod-point the Skoda is 13kWh actual battery and 11.7kW usable(estimated) so there is a small buffer of 10% to protect the battery. In which case just charge it :) and enjoy it.

I charge mine (an Ampera) fully and have never worried, its getting on for 8 years old and is not showing any signs of degradation. mind you it has a 35% buffer (16kW actual, 10.5kW usable).

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,975 Posts
Realistically on most EVs it really doesn't make a difference - the BMS will never let you actually charge the entire battery to full or deplete it to zero, there is always a small buffer (except I believe in some Teslas).

They are designed to be charged to 100% - and healthy to charge to 100% at least every so often because in most cars the pack balancing is done at the top end of the charge cycle.

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, HS PHEV
2,895 Posts
I am on my 2nd Phev and as thing stand, Phev battery gets hammered far more than EVs. Most days out Leaf does 100 -> 40%. Outlander and now HS due to low capacity and EV mode often go from 100 -> 0 or whatever lower limit is set by the car. Due to lower capacity the discharge amps are higher than would be in an EV and that results in battery heating up.

I use 3 pin charger for HS Phev and 5 hours isn't enough. From depleted, in 5 hours I roughly get about 80%. every few days it hits 100% and I am okay with that. As mentioned, don't leave the battery charged and standing for days / weeks, hours is not an issue.

If you want to make the most of Phev, you will need to use the battery as much as possible and the only way to do that is to fully charge it. Relax, enjoy the noise / vibration free EV miles. If push comes to shove, manufacturers will hopefully fix the battery :)

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, HS PHEV
2,895 Posts
Realistically on most EVs it really doesn't make a difference - the BMS will never let you actually charge the entire battery to full or deplete it to zero, there is always a small buffer (except I believe in some Teslas).

They are designed to be charged to 100% - and healthy to charge to 100% at least every so often because in most cars the pack balancing is done at the top end of the charge cycle.
And Leaf and iPace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
266 Posts
PHEVs also vary in now they handle a low battery, the BMW 330e tends to change the blend between ICE and EV as the battery charge reduces, so the ICE is more likely to kick in at 20% battery than 80%. Also it keeps to about 10% charge to run in hybrid mode, but will reduce this as it gets closer to the destination as it is expected to be charged.

So as others have said, plug it in every chance you get, and charge to 100%.

·
2,975 Posts
And Leaf and iPace

Leaf doesn't need to be worried about if it's a UK built model. It was only the very very early ones that didn't like being fully charged regularly.

Certainly by the 30kWh the BMS was more than capable of managing the battery on it's own.

·
2,975 Posts
PHEVs also vary in now they handle a low battery, the BMW 330e tends to change the blend between ICE and EV as the battery charge reduces, so the ICE is more likely to kick in at 20% battery than 80%. Also it keeps to about 10% charge to run in hybrid mode, but will reduce this as it gets closer to the destination as it is expected to be charged.

So as others have said, plug it in every chance you get, and charge to 100%.
Yup - the ABC of EV ownership...Always Be Charging!

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, HS PHEV
2,895 Posts
Leaf doesn't need to be worried about if it's a UK built model. It was only the very very early ones that didn't like being fully charged regularly.

Certainly by the 30kWh the BMS was more than capable of managing the battery on it's own.
I was referring to Leaf 62 being charged to 4.2V. Leaf30 is charged to 4.11V

1 - 11 of 11 Posts