Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I've read up a bit about decreased range and slow charging in cold weather. Does anyone know if there are manufacturers guidelines on what the optimum temperature range for the batteries are? Or what temperatures the battery warmers kick in?
Thanks

·
Zoe Devotee
8,373 Posts
Hi all,
I've read up a bit about decreased range and slow charging in cold weather. Does anyone know if there are manufacturers guidelines on what the optimum temperature range for the batteries are? Or what temperatures the battery warmers kick in?
Thanks

Battery warmer? Zoe doesn't have a Battery warmer, unless you buy one in the Arctic zones.

12-13 degrees is the start of the good times in Zoes, no upper limit, Zoe battery loves heat. Winter the Zoe does suffer if the battery is cold. If you want rapid charging (or 22kw charging on an R) you need to get the pack nice and warm. To do this, drive the car hard, the pack will soon heat up, 5-10 swift miles and it will be in double digit temperature and will charge at a decent rate.

looking at maybe a 30% range drop in winter over summer.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
There must be an upper limit. Batteries dont like to be hot, or cold.

I think telsa aims for 25-30c.

However the energy used to heat the pack to 25c from say 0c is massive, so instead they only heat it enough to get it functional and out of the danger zone where it needs to disable regen etc, and let the natural use heat it the rest of the way. I think the exception might be the "P" models with the ludicrous type mode, which fires up the battery heaters to get the pack to the optimal temperature for maximum power.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts