Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will possibly be buying a house where car parking is at the top of the garden and some way from the house. As such, there is no wall or anything to mount a charger on and it will involve a long cable run through the garden / patio to the meter in the house. I don't see many options for 7.2kw chargers on a post, only a few commercial offerings.

Any idea how much these chargers cost that are integrated into the post - similar to the ones you see at car dealerships etc. Or are they mega expensive and lease only? Does anyone have one of these? What did you pay for the charger / installation? I know I could just screw it to a wooden post, but I would prefer a properly designed charger that is integrated into the post, and not something that looks a bodge.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Any wall mounted charger can be mounted on a post. The top of the post just needs a flat plate (welded in place). Your local blacksmith would be able to help. Get it galvanised and it will last forever. For neat and waterproof job, feed the cable up through the post and the out of the post via a gland, then into bottom of the ( wall mounted) charger.

·
Registered
2019 Renault Zoe R110 (ZE40)
992 Posts
Pod Point are your best bet. They can install their usual 'solo' model on a pedestal for you if you want. It's going to be a lot cheaper than trying to get a proper commercial style charging post.

You may find a cheap Rolec AC charging pillar if you look online. But I can't emphasise enough how much you shouldn't go down that route. Everything is super cheap plastic. Nothing is waterproof. It will break and die leaving you with an expensive repair/replacement bill even under basic residential use. All the other pillars are quite a lot more expensive than that.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
I will possibly be buying a house where car parking is at the top of the garden and some way from the house. As such, there is no wall or anything to mount a charger on and it will involve a long cable run through the garden / patio to the meter in the house. I don't see many options for 7.2kw chargers on a post, only a few commercial offerings.

Any idea how much these chargers cost that are integrated into the post - similar to the ones you see at car dealerships etc. Or are they mega expensive and lease only? Does anyone have one of these? What did you pay for the charger / installation? I know I could just screw it to a wooden post, but I would prefer a properly designed charger that is integrated into the post, and not something that looks a bodge.
Ask your blacksmith to make a post using 3" steel tubing for the post. The flat plate welded to the post needs to be 1/4" plate, 10mm larger in size than the wall charger you are thinking if using. All the charger manufacturers have dimensions on their websites.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pod Point are your best bet. They can install their usual 'solo' model on a pedestal for you if you want. It's going to be a lot cheaper than trying to get a proper commercial style charging post.
Any idea how much Pod Point charge for that post mount?

·
Registered
4,094 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Rolecposts from £560:

Pod point posts as used commercially for £2k :

·
Registered
493 Posts
Are you any good at DIY? I'd concrete 4off 100mm fence post holders into the ground on a footprint of a 1000mmx500mm. Then cut in half 2off 100mm 2400mm posts. Cut Featheredge fencing to fit the 3 sides. Make a little roof for it out from an offcut of roofing felt, and paint it to match the fence. Then fit charging point or commando socket into the enclosure. The materials would be around £150, then it's just time to construct. Has the advantage that the charge point is protected from the elements, and any regular wall mounted socket will be ok. To hide the outlet from prying eyes, make a door to fit with a push code lock. Grow a couple of clematis and within a year it'll blend into the garden.

On second thoughts, I'd probably upgrade the enclosure a bit bigger so it could also house a bicycle or two.

·
Registered
2019 Renault Zoe R110 (ZE40)
992 Posts
Rolecposts from £560
See my post above. They're made super cheaply. Very cheap plastic that cracks and isn't in any way waterproof, the locking pin jams and/or bends frequently, and the breaker inside often likes to melt itself rather than tripping.

The Rolec pillars are terrible and best avoided. Any savings you made earlier by purchasing one will quickly be lost to the costs of repairs and ultimately replacement.

Any idea how much Pod Point charge for that post mount?
I'm afraid not, but I would assume they are fairly reasonable since I tend to see a lot of them compared to other mounting solutions.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Cough, a cheaper option may be to not put an EV charge point there, but ask a Sparky to put a 32A Commando on a piece of wood you sink yourself, and use one of many Commando -> Type 2 cables to charge.

Won't look as pretty as metal, but given Caravan parks use Posts with Commandos it's quite "common".

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Won't look as pretty as metal, but given Caravan parks use Posts with Commandos it's quite "common".
All good if you are willing to compromise safety. The EVSE regulations exist for a reason.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Who said anything about it being unsafe. It's quite common to Earth/protect a commando to EVSE standards and not too expensive either (full isolation on all pins in event of any fault) via a matt:e box at the fusebox is ~ £100 + fitting. It's down to the person installing such a solution to ensure this, but I wouldn't be happy without it being as safe. In event of any earth leakage on any of the pins the entire breaker for all pins is thrown. https://matt-e.co.uk/ if you were not aware such isolations exist.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Actually £200 pound looks okay. It seems they also do one for Rolec:

Pod point posts as used commercially for £2k :
I actually quite like those ones for 2k, but the price is steep. Wonder if it could be used to make some money when I am not at home? They say it can integrate with the app to let other users know when the charger is available.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Who said anything about it being unsafe. It's quite common to Earth/protect a commando to EVSE standards and not too expensive either (full isolation on all pins in event of any fault) via a matt:e box at the fusebox is ~ £100 + fitting. It's down to the person installing such a solution to ensure this, but I wouldn't be happy without it being as safe. In event of any earth leakage on any of the pins the entire breaker for all pins is thrown. https://matt-e.co.uk/ if you were not aware such isolations exist.
This one runs and runs. The Matt:e meets BS 7671: 2018: Amendment 1: 2020 Regulation 722.411.4.1 but is not fully effective in the case of a failed PNE Earth. I agree with your basic premise that a Commando unit wired to EVSE standards can be safe, but there is no requirement for them to be wired to that standard.

·
Registered
Ioniq
667 Posts
Could you get a brickie to build you a little brick post or short section of wall to put a charger on (or do it yourself)? It could be blended into a garden better and would be a bit more sturdy than a charger on a post.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts