Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While visiting local petrol station (first time in forever!) to put air in my Leaf tyres, I just remembered after 8 months of driving my leaf today that the tyres have the TPMS so they can be remotely checked. Having just logged onto Car Wings via Nissan website, I can't see any option for checking tyres however.

Was there an option to check tyre PSI with Car Wings in the past, but it has since been pulled?

Is there other ways to remotely check the PSI?

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Don't know any way in Carwings but you can certainly see them in Leafspy.

·
Banned
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats ridiculous that a third party service lets you see the PSI but not the manufacturers provided tool.

Another thing to add to the long list of Car Wings failures. What was the point of Nissan having this TPMS feature and listing it as a selling point (a bit misleading also), if they are not utilising it.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
I didn't think the TPMS feature spoke to carwings, it is a feature of the car and reports to the car display only, with a flashing warning but no other information. It works therefore on base models without carwings displays.

·
Banned
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is TPMS a standard feature or an option?
Standard, all 2nd Gens and beyond have it. Not sure if 1st Gen has it though?

I didn't think the TPMS feature spoke to carwings, it is a feature of the car and reports to the car display only, with a flashing warning but no other information. It works therefore on base models without carwings displays.
TPMS doesn't speak to Car Wings app/website, not because it can't but only because it has not been included to date on Car Wings app/website. Lazy Car Wings programmers perhaps? or perhaps Nissan specifically choose not to include TPMS for reasons unknown?

It is embarrassing (or should be) that a third party app is having to plug the holes left, and all credit to that app. I intend to give LeafSpy a try.

It is also a shame that there is this very useful feature, but no display for a real time PSI on the onboard Car Wings. It has been totally underused and wasted IMHO. The only onboard use of TPMS is as you say when your PSI gets really low and you get a warning notification to check it. Good but not good enough.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Carwings didnt include TPMS because they didnt want to slow carwings down....:ROFLMAO::mad:

From the techeurope.co.uk website:

Some facts on EU TPMS legislation:

As of 1st November 2012, all new-type vehicles will be required by EU law to have a pressure based tyre pressure monitoring system installed. This applies to the road wheels, not the spare

By November 2014, all new passenger vehicles will have to have TPMS installed by the manufacturer

The law is not currently retrospective, and does not apply to older vehicles

This law applies to passenger vehicles only, with no more than 7 seats

Many car manufacturers have already introduced TPMS to their vehicles ahead of the 2012 legislation change

Renault, Peugeot, and Citroen have fitted TPMS to some models since 2003/4

More and more cars now have TPMS already fitted. Showrooms are full of TPMS-compliant cars

TPMS is now part of the annual vehicle test, and applies to all newly registered cars from January 1st 2012. This means that a car with a faulty TPMS will fail the vehicle test from January 2015

Until 2015, a faulty TPMS will only be an advisory and be listed on the testing certificate (UK). Different European countries may interpret the EU legislation differently. So please refer to your own European country legislation

·
Banned
1,531 Posts
Stupid idea to use a remote pressure readout

Use Mk1 eyeball plus a pressure gauge

Not only will it show up something the onboard sensor may miss but it gives you damn good chance to eyeball your tyres

·
Banned
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stupid idea to use a remote pressure readout

Use Mk1 eyeball plus a pressure gauge

Not only will it show up something the onboard sensor may miss but it gives you damn good chance to eyeball your tyres
What's stupid about it exactly? Maybe ICE drivers should not be using the petrol gauge and stick dipsticks down their petrol tank? Why are we even bothering with all this modern technology, horses are not extinct :)

·
Banned
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I use the machine at the ASDA petrol station. 20p for 2 mins of air... is a bit of a challenge getting around the 4 wheels and filling them up for 20p (I set to 46 PSI all round), but it can be done :)

·
9,719 Posts
TPMS is only useful when the wheels are turning, when stationary they either give no reading at all or wrong. Depending on the system used if there isn't an active sensor in the valve of the tyre, the system works by calculate the rotation velocity and is only really able to detect a significant loss in pressure, although some of the passive systems can be surprisingly accurate. I am not sure what you gain by having access to that information from the App...

LeafSpy is not the same as Carwings, LeafSpy is a CANBUS interrogator there is way more information on the CAN than would every shared over a WAN.

·
Banned
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Standard tyres that came with car. Am aware many like the 30s and 40s is the upper end of the scale. Means a little less tread than being in 30s but also means a little more range. Is perfectly fine and within recommended PSI.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts