Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
68 plate, ZOE, R110
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who else thinks this is a cracking car - £22500 brand new (after £2500 Gov Grant) released next year

Below info taken from original video

The stand out specs here are that it will start at £25k without any government incentive discount, it will have a range of 209 miles to 261 miles (depending on whether you choose the 48kWh or 63kWh battery pack) and it will be able to CCS rapid charge up to 80Kw as standard. There's also 3-phase 11kW as standand, heated massage seats as standard and wireless Apple Carplay and Android thingy. Jonny thinks the Cat has something fascinating about it. We don't get completely new car brands entering the market often, so it's good to see a 5yr warranty (8yr for the batteries) Chinese car turning up for 2022 delivery in Europe, and taking the fight to Vauxhall, Renault, Peugeot, MG (who are Chinese, remember) and VW. What do you think of the styling? There's plenty of Mini One, Porsche, later VW Beetle and (inside at least) current Fiat 500 going on. The Chinese are good at emulating existing designs (like the Japanese did in order to conquer western markets) but this seems to blend old and new, with a funky outcome. Performance will be average for class - 0-62 in 8.5 secs from the FWD 171ps 250nm front motor and 100mph top end. Jonny hopes the spec list allows for retro wheels and colour palette. With the UK gov discount for plug-in cars this will start at £22,500. The Nissan Leaf wishes it looked this interesting. For more info on the Cat head to their UK site: https://uk.ora-eu.com/ Ora Cat DIMENSIONS Length - 4235mm Width - 1825mm Height - 1596mm Wheelbase - 2650mm Vs Rivals: MG ZS = 79mm longer Leaf = 255mm longer Zoe = 148mm shorter ID.3 = 26mm longer Corsa e = 175mm shorter WEIGHT Cat 1510kg Vs Rivals: MG ZS -8kg Leaf 40kWh +70kg Zoe 52Kwh -8kg ID.3 +271kg Corsa e +20kg Battery capacity options 48kWh or 63kWh Range (WLTP combined) 209 miles / 336km (48kWh) 261 miles / 420km (63kWh) Charging CCS DC rapid up to 80kW 3-phase 11kW AC 6.6kW single phase AC 40 mins 10-80% (48kWh) 50 mins 10-80% (63kWh) Performance 0 - 30mph / 50kph = 3.8 secs 0 - 62mph / 100kph = 8.5 secs Top speed = 100mph / 160kph Motor 126kW / 171PS front mounted, FWD Torque = 250nm Boot space (seats down) Cat - 228 Litres Rivals: Corsa - 267L e-208 - 311L Zoe - 338L e-C4 - 380L ID.3 - 385L Leaf - 435L

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
720 Posts
I really liked the two tone interior in the one Johnny reviewed. Spec is decent and it should sell well. Let's hope it will have proper dealer support here - could be a problem for a new entry in the market. I wonder how many will go for the GT version which has no more speed or power, just bits of fancy visual trim added.

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Who else thinks this is a cracking car - £22500 brand new (after £2500 Gov Grant) released next year

Below info taken from original video

The stand out specs here are that it will start at £25k without any government incentive discount, it will have a range of 209 miles to 261 miles (depending on whether you choose the 48kWh or 63kWh battery pack) and it will be able to CCS rapid charge up to 80Kw as standard. There's also 3-phase 11kW as standand, heated massage seats as standard and wireless Apple Carplay and Android thingy. Jonny thinks the Cat has something fascinating about it. We don't get completely new car brands entering the market often, so it's good to see a 5yr warranty (8yr for the batteries) Chinese car turning up for 2022 delivery in Europe, and taking the fight to Vauxhall, Renault, Peugeot, MG (who are Chinese, remember) and VW. What do you think of the styling? There's plenty of Mini One, Porsche, later VW Beetle and (inside at least) current Fiat 500 going on. The Chinese are good at emulating existing designs (like the Japanese did in order to conquer western markets) but this seems to blend old and new, with a funky outcome. Performance will be average for class - 0-62 in 8.5 secs from the FWD 171ps 250nm front motor and 100mph top end. Jonny hopes the spec list allows for retro wheels and colour palette. With the UK gov discount for plug-in cars this will start at £22,500. The Nissan Leaf wishes it looked this interesting. For more info on the Cat head to their UK site: https://uk.ora-eu.com/ Ora Cat DIMENSIONS Length - 4235mm Width - 1825mm Height - 1596mm Wheelbase - 2650mm Vs Rivals: MG ZS = 79mm longer Leaf = 255mm longer Zoe = 148mm shorter ID.3 = 26mm longer Corsa e = 175mm shorter WEIGHT Cat 1510kg Vs Rivals: MG ZS -8kg Leaf 40kWh +70kg Zoe 52Kwh -8kg ID.3 +271kg Corsa e +20kg Battery capacity options 48kWh or 63kWh Range (WLTP combined) 209 miles / 336km (48kWh) 261 miles / 420km (63kWh) Charging CCS DC rapid up to 80kW 3-phase 11kW AC 6.6kW single phase AC 40 mins 10-80% (48kWh) 50 mins 10-80% (63kWh) Performance 0 - 30mph / 50kph = 3.8 secs 0 - 62mph / 100kph = 8.5 secs Top speed = 100mph / 160kph Motor 126kW / 171PS front mounted, FWD Torque = 250nm Boot space (seats down) Cat - 228 Litres Rivals: Corsa - 267L e-208 - 311L Zoe - 338L e-C4 - 380L ID.3 - 385L Leaf - 435L
Where is the list of UK service and warranty centers, aka dealers

·
Registered
220 Posts
Well priced. It looks like a Beetle/MINI/Fiat 500/Alfa Mito melt. I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing. The dealer issue is a problem. It wouldn't be on my list because of that.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Looks good.

No issue with the dealer thing if there is service backup - my issue as with all Chinese offerings is the reality vs spec.... so the devil is in the detail.

App to remotely start heating / cooling ?
Actual range vs claimed range......
Infotainment quality both software and hardware....?

Total killer for me though is side charge port. The car would have to do an awful lot right to overcome that for me - stupid place for it, worst place it can be.

Devil will be in the detail I guess.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Looks good.

No issue with the dealer thing if there is service backup - my issue as with all Chinese offerings is the reality vs spec.... so the devil is in the detail.

App to remotely start heating / cooling ?
Actual range vs claimed range......
Infotainment quality both software and hardware....?

Total killer for me though is side charge port. The car would have to do an awful lot right to overcome that for me - stupid place for it, worst place it can be.

I'm not really sure the the charger placement is an issue. It's not going to be the same issue as an Audi etron as the bonnet is short.
So it probably no different to cars with it on the back wing.

Front charging also has its issues too. In the winter it gets filthy.

My biggest gripe is the placement of the cup holders. Trying to reach round and pick up a coffee with your left hand looks almost impossible! 😔

·
Registered
896 Posts

Most EVs are going that way now...

Sent from my M2002J9E using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Its funny, The front port on the LEAF has always annoyed me, because i always reverse park. Driving in forwards feels really clumsy and makes getting out again much harder.

However at a instavolt station i recently managed to clobber the charge doors on an i3 and a mach-e when returning to my car after plugging in (on two separate occasions). Their charge doors ended up in line with the door mirror and despite being someone who is usually extremely careful about other peoples cars and not bumping into them etc, i managed to clip the charge door on both cars in exactly the same way, with my hip while dodging around the door mirror while navigating the small gap between the cars. In both cases no damage done, but they made an awful noise getting clattered against the CCS plug and i felt pretty embarrassed, especially the second time.

At many chargers, they give you a bit of extra room, like in a child or disabled bay, however these ones were standard bay width and the open charge doors really are quite in the way.

At least with something like a Tesla unit, the doors are always on the same side. With general purpose machines though its entirely possible you could end up with two cars parked beside each other which have their charge flaps on opposite sides, meaning they open together into the same small space, making it even worse!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I have watched 2 cars have their charge ports damaged on public chargers by people hitting them - both side doors. One only broke the door but the other snapped the cable off IN the charge port with a big bang!

·
Zoe Devotee
9,442 Posts
Driving in forwards feels really clumsy and makes getting out again much harder.

You ever seen a forklift.... rear wheel steering, massively manoeuvrable. Much like reversing a car out of a space. ;)

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Well exactly, so it's generally easier to reverse into the space, given its narrower and requires more accuracy, with the additional manoeuvrability offered by "rear wheel steering".

Additionally, when exiting the space, you have far better visibility of your surroundings if you have reversed in. If accidents are going to happen, it's when reversing out into a roadway with poor visibility.

Each to their own of course, but interestingly I've seen several car parks mandate reverse parking, but never the opposite.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
A central rear charge port door is the best (never seen one though) then a central front one. Wouldn’t choose to buy a car with a side door - but it sadly appears to be getting more common.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,442 Posts
Well exactly, so it's generally easier to reverse into the space, given its narrower and requires more accuracy, with the additional manoeuvrability offered by "rear wheel steering".

Additionally, when exiting the space, you have far better visibility of your surroundings if you have reversed in. If accidents are going to happen, it's when reversing out into a roadway with poor visibility.

Each to their own of course, but interestingly I've seen several car parks mandate reverse parking, but never the opposite.
So its easier reversing into a space, craning your neck round to see than driving straight in? Guess you'll say that's what a reversing camera is for? Much like rear cross traffic alert when reversing out of a space? ;)

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
My preference has always been to reverse into a parking space. Generally you get it right first time and don't have to pull back out to centre yourself, something that I often see with people who go straight in. Pulling out forwards affords far more visibility than reversing out, especially if you have a high sided vehicle next to you. My car has handy door mirrors and a reversing camera to aid reversing in. Having said that I almost reversed into someone yesterday who ignored a no entry sign in a car park and tried to go behind me as I was reversing! I spotted him just in time.

I wish they had changed the side of the charging port on the ID.3 to the nearside on UK ID.3's. There are quite a few chargers appearing on the side of the road near me which I can't use as the cables aren't long enough and it's not possible to turn around to get to them.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
4,254 Posts
I wish they had changed the side of the charging port on the ID.3 to the nearside on UK ID.3's. There are quite a few chargers appearing on the side of the road near me which I can't use as the cables aren't long enough and it's not possible to turn around to get to them.
I was told at Fully Charged Outside that the Nissan Ariya (and therefore the Renault Megane) will have their front wing chargeports installed on the passenger side in both LHD & RHD versions.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Looks good, hopefully we will get more Chinese entries into the UK, looking at the BYD Tang would be good nice big SUV

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
4,254 Posts
Looks good, hopefully we will get more Chinese entries into the UK, looking at the BYD Tang would be good nice big SUV
From what I've read since the launch, we're only getting this Chinese car because RHD ones are being built for Thailand.
That's probably why we also have MG EVs.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,454 Posts
Is the Thai market so much larger or significant than the UK one? Or is it a secret entry point for Aus/NZ?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts