Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,604 Posts
I can see Nissan/Renault if not Stellantis rebadging these or some other small Chinese EV.

·
Registered
Vauxhall Corsa-E 2022
28 Posts
I can’t quite decide whether I like the look or not. Interior looks great and potential range + price is intriguing.

Dealer network is a concern but MG managed to build up a fairly comprehensive network fairly quickly.

If nothing else the competition might drive down prices and that can’t be a bad thing?

·
Registered
157 Posts
In the OP they talk about it potentially being £22.5k

Obviously the grant is now £1.5k so that's now £23.5k instead

However do you think they'll pull the £25k after the grant and pretend it's a £26.5k car.

·
Registered
116 Posts
They'll price it at whatever they think they can get for it
The market will decide if they have to discount it.
Once they start to discount, if they have to, that then gives them a longer term problem of perception of people EXPECTING a discount, which is then hard to shrug off long term.
So if they have any sense at all, they'll price it cheap and get it on the roads, then push the price up slowly if it becomes evident people will pay for a new, unknown brand.
For me, the front looks good, the back end looks like a dog. Early leaf dog.
Those interior plastics, look closely on the website at the last pic with green interior- the beige around the middle looks like it has the potential to have a whiff of early 2000's Kia, or worse still late 90's Daewoo.
No-one's going to pay over 25k for that.
So I'm personally keeping an open mind to see where we are when it the detail is clearer.
I hope it looks premium, if it does I'll consider it IF it's priced well.
Somehow I think a combination of high taxes and supply, it will end up nearer 30k for a good spec. At which point I'm out.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Agreed, it needs to start cheap, then increase prices to the point demand starts to drop slightly, and that’s the true price - by doing this they also protect early adopters residuals.... start high and drop prices and residuals for the first buyers are decimated....

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
4,231 Posts
Agreed, it needs to start cheap, then increase prices to the point demand starts to drop slightly, and that’s the true price - by doing this they also protect early adopters residuals.... start high and drop prices and residuals for the first buyers are decimated....
Meanwhile, Stellantis (at least Vauxhall & now Citroen) have been reducing prices of base models to stay within the £32k PICG limit

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Range looks poor to me. The Cat 400 manages 180 mile range with Bjorn driving at 90 Kph = 55 mph. He reckoned it didn't do regen when on cruise control, like the early MGs didn't. If this I've got this right, the range is rather less than Ioniq 38!

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,604 Posts
The website claims 260mile range.

What the real world range for mixed driving turns out to be, may be game changing and should worry the mainstream manufacturers.

At the very least, it may force price reductions from them.

I prefer the looks to the expensive Honda E & Mini.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,400 Posts
may be game changing and should worry the mainstream manufacturers.

But they are a "lifestyle" badge, nothing to do with competitive pricing. GWM may want the Ora Cat to become a brand, but they are starting from zero in the UK unless you include their previous pickup trucks which they didn't cover themselves in glory with in terms of exiting the market and leaving customers and dealers high and dry.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
4,231 Posts
The website claims 260mile range.

What the real world range for mixed driving turns out to be, may be game changing and should worry the mainstream manufacturers.

That's just about 400km (the NEDC range). As Bjorn says in the video, NEDC stands for "Not Even Damn Close".
To launch here, they'll need to get it a WLTP range instead.

·
Registered
Ze50 GT Line Elmo Referral ISB2GG for mutual £50 off
481 Posts
Range looks poor to me. The Cat 400 manages 180 mile range with Bjorn driving at 90 Kph = 55 mph. He reckoned it didn't do regen when on cruise control, like the early MGs didn't. If this I've got this right, the range is rather less than Ioniq 38!
I think Bjørn tested the smaller battery one, Uk is getting only the large one I believe?

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
I looks like a nice car. I wonder how roomy it really is though, either those blokes are quite tall or the car is quite low.

I expect the main problem will be you won't actually be able to buy one due to shortages and the price will be high because of that.

Stuff like the infotainment I'm not too worried about, it looked okay when Bjorn tried it and as long as it has Android Auto you don't really have to worry. I skimmed his video and he didn't seem to get anywhere near 80kW charging speed though, more like 45kW from what I remember.

·
Premium Member
11,923 Posts
I still don't understand what they have done with the space? It is like a reverse Tardis! The overall size isn't much different to ID3 and yet if has a tiny boot making it unsuitable for longer family journeys and rear headroom is pants.

I agree front looks cute, but share a lot of doubt about interior quality. Personally I think they should focus on the shorter range car and try and get below £20K. At that price level it is a handy 2nd car for lots of folk and could do well in that use case. IMO I don't think it will cut it as the main car for most people.

Reactions: CHERYLWARD

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
2,357 Posts
To me it looks exactly the same as a Ford PUMA - just saying no offence intended to Ford PUMA owners :)

After watching TESLABJORN appraisal, it seems that the software is not very user friendly - like you have to come out of cruise control to check energy consumption and battery status :oops:

What is it with Chinese manufactured vehicle in that they don't do regenerative braking when the cruise control is engaged.

Worth a punt at £17K to £19K - If its marketed at a too higher price then it's doomed Captain Mainwaring.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts