Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Renault Leicester yesterday to make sure the pushchair would fit in the boot of their LHD showroom demo. Had a sit down with their salesman.
Pulled out the quote I'd had from another Renault dealer via leasing.com. He initially winced, then after 10 minutes with his sales manager returned, saying even if they stripped out all of the margin, they still couldn't do it.

Signed the wife up this morning for a Zoe 50 R135 GT Line plus Winter Pack with other main dealer:

2 Year lease. 12k miles a year. Initial quote was £214 x23 months plus 9 months down. Winter Pack adds a few quid a month. At £6,850 over two years, that deal's cheaper than anything else in the UK, and only a few pounds more than the Iconic and Play R110 offers - Absolute bargain.

Missus bravely decided she could live with Polar White in the name of economics. Metallic paint spoiled the feel of its sheer bargainess! Besides, where we live, it'll end up a shade of grey or brown all year round depending upon the season.

Arrives back end of March.

In the meantime she's got 2+ months in a rather nasty brand new rented automatic Suzuki Vitara. Did well there too to be fair. £350 ish a month all in on a month by month agreement. She tells me it's no consolation for the i3S which we waved a final goodbye too earlier today. Great car, but the doors and ride are not compatible with a 4 month old baby.

Can't believe we're both actually genuinely a little bit excited about the arrival of a Renault! But the interior of the new one really does seem quite a nice place to be.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Late last year I was looking at some cars in a local Suzuki showroom, not so much with a view to buying one, but to look at a used VW Polo for my good lady. Unfortunately the Polo had already been sold so that was that. I had a short but candid chat with a Salesman regarding the Swift and Vitara cars on show. I mentioned that an automatic vehicle would always be my preference. The salesman very quickly replied that he'd probably have an uphill struggle to sell me a Suzuki auto, because their autos were "poor"................

·
Registered
238 Posts
7k for a car with limited mileage that can save you a max of £2k in fuel compared to an ice...
I can think of ice cars up to 5k for 2 years what would be much more fun to drive and without range anxiety

·
Registered
423 Posts
7k for a car with limited mileage that can save you a max of £2k in fuel compared to an ice...
I can think of ice cars up to 5k for 2 years what would be much more fun to drive and without range anxiety
How is 245 miles limited mileage?? That's like 4-5 hours of driving at motorway speeds.
Are they even automatic?

·
Registered
238 Posts
How is 245 miles limited mileage?? That's like 4-5 hours of driving at motorway speeds.
Are they even automatic?
They don't have to be automatic. I know how to drive a manual.
Wanna see you driving 4 hours at 70mph. At 70mph on this weather you won't even do 165miles

·
Registered
238 Posts
But if auto is a must, there's options out there that would be cheaper including fuel

BMW 218i msport grand tourer 7 seater (£5k)
Hyundai ioniq hybrid (£5k)
Ioniq full eletric (£5.6k)
Volvo s60 2.0 r design edition
Auris hybrid (£4.7k)

If you go for small manual cars the same size or bugger than a zoe, plenty of options for £2.3-3.5k

·
Registered
423 Posts
They don't have to be automatic. I know how to drive a manual.
Wanna see you driving 4 hours at 70mph. At 70mph on this weather you won't even do 165miles
Whether you can drive manual or not is irrelevant. Automatic cars are worth more than their manual counterparts and you should compare like for like.

I already have done 170 miles in this weather, thanks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
In our case, if we factor into a £5k used car the increase in fuel cost over a full EV, depreciation, plus requirement with that ICE for MoTs, servicing and road tax, the difference almost completely pays for the £7k lease. And for the duration I've still got in the bank £3k out of the £5k it would have cost

Then there's the risk with an ICE in that bracket of unexpected expenditure, like, well, I dunno, the engine or some other major component equivalent to 10% plus of what we paid for the whole car going wrong. And then another one. Or an MoT failure. That's a risk we don't want thanks.

"Limited range"? Nope. My wife does a 40 mile round commute daily to work, the riding stables and home. Charged overnight at home for pennies on a 7kW charger using a low tariff from a 100% renewables supplier.
She does a round trip to her parents and back of some 150 miles. The Zoe will do this comfortably without even having to think about the range or charging.
She goes to London shopping occasionally, from us in Rutland just over 100 miles into the West End. She can plug in at a 7kW charger in the carpark, whilst out having lunch, a bit of shopping, and then she'll have enough to get home without a care.
She never, ever suffered range anxiety in the i3 with 130 miles range. She wanted the first Rex because she thought she might, but then never used it. I insisted the S was a Rex because they're less prone to depreciation than BEV models of the same age.
The range is such that, with a little one who'd need frequent breaks anyway, I'd seriously consider using it on our relatively frequent trips to Germany and Spain. Not something I'd even think of with the i3.

Being "fun" to drive wasn't on the list of priorities. Having enough room for our 4 month old's pushchair in the boot is. Along with peace of mind that my wife's brand new car is more likely to be consistently reliable than something that costs £5k, and that if something does go wrong with it, she'll be immediately taken care of by the people who own it.

Everything's relative and whilst the Zoe was never supposed to be "hot hatch" or sporty to drive, by all accounts the ZE50 has improved handling and, given the torque it delivers the 135ps version should be plenty engaging enough to entertain, pound for pound. I'm talking lease value, not new list price.

My wife's had Golf Rs, RS3s, M Sports and the like. Then she chose to switch to the i3, vowing never to return to petrol once she'd seen the savings. Total lease cost far less than the depreciation it would have suffered in the same period. Bought that at the end of the lease and sold it a year later for what I paid for it. She chose to replace it with an i3S. Bought that last year and sold it last week for what I paid for it.
Costs during ownership ran to a total of 2 tyres and a service, plus some road tax on the S.
I'd wager few have managed to achieve the same result twice in a row with any ICE.

In terms of leasing, when factoring in all running costs, starting at around £6k over two years, the Zoe is currently the cheapest car in the UK. Period.

·
Registered
238 Posts
In our case, if we factor into a £5k used car the increase in fuel cost over a full EV, depreciation, plus requirement with that ICE for MoTs, servicing and road tax, the difference almost completely pays for the £7k lease. And for the duration I've still got in the bank £3k out of the £5k it would have cost

Then there's the risk with an ICE in that bracket of unexpected expenditure, like, well, I dunno, the engine or some other major component equivalent to 10% plus of what we paid for the whole car going wrong. And then another one. Or an MoT failure. That's a risk we don't want thanks.

Being "fun" to drive wasn't on the list of priorities. Having enough room for our 4 month old's pushchair in the boot is. Along with peace of mind that my wife's brand new car is more likely to be consistently reliable than something that costs £5k, and that if something does go wrong with it, she'll be immediately taken care of by the people who own it.

Everything's relative and whilst the Zoe was never supposed to be "hot hatch" or sporty to drive, by all accounts the ZE50 has improved handling and, given the torque it delivers the 135ps version should be plenty engaging enough to entertain, pound for pound. I'm talking lease value, not new list price.

My wife's had Golf Rs, RS3s, M Sports and the like. Then she chose to switch to the i3, vowing never to return to petrol once she'd seen the savings. Total lease cost far less than the depreciation it would have suffered in the same period. Bought that at the end of the lease and sold it a year later for what I paid for it. She chose to replace it with an i3S. Bought that last year and sold it last week for what I paid for it.
Costs during ownership ran to a total of 2 tyres and a service, plus some road tax on the S.
I'd wager few have managed to achieve the same result twice in a row with any ICE.

In terms of leasing, when factoring in all running costs, starting at around £6k over two years, the Zoe is currently the cheapest car in the UK. Period.
You missed the part that I said some small petrol cars are leased for 2 years brand new for just over £2k? How's the zoe cheaper than that when you save (AT MOST) £2K in fuel?
Fun to drive? You can get some bmws/alfa romeos etc leased for 2 years + fuel under 7k as well. Surely more fun to drive than a zoe that does 0-60 in 10 seconds.

Reliability? We're talking about new cars on warranty. No1 mentioned used, so I dont know why you brought the 5k used car into the conversation

As an example, you can get a Mercedes A class 2.1L automatic diesel for 3 years (not 2) for about £5k. And you're telling me that a zoe for 2 years for nearly 7k is a bargain in comparison?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
You missed the part that I said some small petrol cars are leased for 2 years brand new for just over £2k? How's the zoe cheaper than that when you save (AT MOST) £2K in fuel?
Fun to drive? You can get some bmws/alfa romeos etc leased for 2 years + fuel under 7k as well. Surely more fun to drive than a zoe that does 0-60 in 10 seconds.

Reliability? We're talking about new cars on warranty. No1 mentioned used, so I dont know why you brought the 5k used car into the conversation

As an example, you can get a Mercedes A class 2.1L automatic diesel for 3 years (not 2) for about £5k. And you're telling me that a zoe for 2 years for nearly 7k is a bargain in comparison?
We're not interested in running an ICE. That's the part you missed. 12k miles a year. Also has to be Auto. It's a choice we're happy to pay for.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Here's some of the "all in including fuel" options considerably cheaper than the zoe. I can hand pick a few there that are also bigger, do more than 87 miles per hour, are faster, more pratical, more equiped and so on

Audi A3 sportback lease £4896 Total @ SVC
Abarth 595C Convertible Car 1.4 T-Jet 145 70th Anniversary 24 month lease £5,001.24 Nationwide Vehicle Contracts

£5,001.24
Electric Hyundai Ioniq lease 24 x £237.99 + £199 Fee - 8000 Miles PA - £5912 Total via Leasing Options
£5,912
Vauxhall Astra GTC 2.0 Diesel Sport £201.60 Inc vat per month 2yr lease @ vehiclesavers
£5,241.60
Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 90ps Limited Edition - Personal Lease £3,348 Gateway2lease
£3,348
Ford Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost 125 Zetec S Personal Contract Lease 8K miles pa 6+23 (£107.98) TOTAL £3,131.42 (EQUIV. £130.48 PER MONTH) @ Future Vehicle Leasing
£3,131.42
Mercedes A180 CDI ECO SE 5dr for £189.99 + VAT Business / £227.99 Personal @ DSG
£5,243.77
Vauxhall GTC 2.0 diesel 2-year lease - £1540.80 then 23 monthly payments of £151.20 @ Vehicle Savers
£5,018.40
Volkswagen Tiguan 2.0 TDi 6sp Match - 2 yr lease, £1999.99 initial payment, 24 months @ £135.02 - 5000 miles p/a (or 10k option available) - total cost £5240.47 (less than depreciation!) @ National Vehicle Solutions
£5,240.47
Mercedes-Benz A Class A180d AMG Line 5dr 8k 2yr business lease deal £5464 @ Evans Halshaw
£5,464
Citroen C1 1.2 Puretech Feel 5DR £83.99 pm £2183.74 @ Time4Leasing
£2,183.74
Ford Fiesta 1.0 EcoBoost 125 Titanium 5 door - 8k miles pa - £4,172 - 2 Year lease @ Nationwide Vehicle Contracts
£4,172
n NISSAN JUKE 1.6 [94] VISIA 5DR HATCHBACK 24 month lease 125.99 per month after initial payment of 1260 @ Tilsun Vehicle Contracts
£4,283.76
Volvo S90 Diesel Saloon D4 Momentum - Car lease - 18 months - £5487.98 (8K Mileage) @ Applied Leasing
£5,487.98
Citroen DS3 Dstyle BlueHDI Nav Lease Deal - 10k miles, 14 months, 83mpg - £83.95pm with £1200 deposit inc. VAT @ National Vehicle Solutions
£2,491

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's some of the "all in including fuel" options considerably cheaper than the zoe. I can hand pick a few there that are also bigger, do more than 87 miles per hour, are faster, more pratical, more equiped and so on

Audi A3 sportback lease £4896 Total @ SVC
Abarth 595C Convertible Car 1.4 T-Jet 145 70th Anniversary 24 month lease £5,001.24 Nationwide Vehicle Contracts

£5,001.24
Electric Hyundai Ioniq lease 24 x £237.99 + £199 Fee - 8000 Miles PA - £5912 Total via Leasing Options
£5,912
Vauxhall Astra GTC 2.0 Diesel Sport £201.60 Inc vat per month 2yr lease @ vehiclesavers
£5,241.60
Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 90ps Limited Edition - Personal Lease £3,348 Gateway2lease
£3,348
Ford Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost 125 Zetec S Personal Contract Lease 8K miles pa 6+23 (£107.98) TOTAL £3,131.42 (EQUIV. £130.48 PER MONTH) @ Future Vehicle Leasing
£3,131.42
Mercedes A180 CDI ECO SE 5dr for £189.99 + VAT Business / £227.99 Personal @ DSG
£5,243.77
Vauxhall GTC 2.0 diesel 2-year lease - £1540.80 then 23 monthly payments of £151.20 @ Vehicle Savers
£5,018.40
Volkswagen Tiguan 2.0 TDi 6sp Match - 2 yr lease, £1999.99 initial payment, 24 months @ £135.02 - 5000 miles p/a (or 10k option available) - total cost £5240.47 (less than depreciation!) @ National Vehicle Solutions
£5,240.47
Mercedes-Benz A Class A180d AMG Line 5dr 8k 2yr business lease deal £5464 @ Evans Halshaw
£5,464
Citroen C1 1.2 Puretech Feel 5DR £83.99 pm £2183.74 @ Time4Leasing
£2,183.74
Ford Fiesta 1.0 EcoBoost 125 Titanium 5 door - 8k miles pa - £4,172 - 2 Year lease @ Nationwide Vehicle Contracts
£4,172
n NISSAN JUKE 1.6 [94] VISIA 5DR HATCHBACK 24 month lease 125.99 per month after initial payment of 1260 @ Tilsun Vehicle Contracts
£4,283.76
Volvo S90 Diesel Saloon D4 Momentum - Car lease - 18 months - £5487.98 (8K Mileage) @ Applied Leasing
£5,487.98
Citroen DS3 Dstyle BlueHDI Nav Lease Deal - 10k miles, 14 months, 83mpg - £83.95pm with £1200 deposit inc. VAT @ National Vehicle Solutions
£2,491
Not even close to comparing apples with apples. And that's before the fact that the cheapest lease price for a Zoe is less than £6k.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Not even close to comparing apples with apples. And that's before the fact that the cheapest lease price for a Zoe is less than £6k.
Apples with apples? Majority of those cars are far superior to zoe in every sense. And cheaper even if you lease the zoe for 6k

1 - 20 of 54 Posts