Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having just completed my 7 day test drive. I had very few problems apart from being unable to get a pod point to release the cable, I had to go so left it and the salesman went to recover it!! Probably user error.
Anyway I have just bought a pre reg Acenta in white with 20 miles on the click and £12000 off the price. Here starts the adventure!!

I realise now how much speed effects range. I enjoy the heater on!! I wasn't aware that the range reading when fully charged is based on the last five journeys. The salesman had never seen the range over 110. Can anyone confirm this theory?

What is troubling me now is which home charger to go for and how much it is going to cost? (Bearing in mind Christmas is nearly here!) Also how do you go about registering for Podpoint and Ecotricity etc?

The electrician who is going to fit it says it must be fitted to the main house fuse box. Is this the case. I have a garage with power to it and a small fuse box. Would this not suffice?

Any advice greatly accepted.

I still don't regret the order, despite East Yorkshire having very few charging points and will hopefully get it Thursday.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Zap-map has a good article about all the suppliers

Good video from PodPoint

I ended up going with a PodPoint for my outside installation, with OLEV grant only cost £120 installed. It has been order and awaiting install date, so can't comment on build quality and usage. But the guys on phone and email very helpful.

Did not have a good experience with my local electric provider plus they were looking £550 after the grant.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Have a podpoint. Has worked every day for over a year. But would say with my tethered unit the gun does not seem to rest very securely in the holder. More than once have left it I thought in the holder only to see it fall out while reversing from the garage! As a consequence some slight damage now makes it a bit fiddly to get to clip into the car.

·
Registered
Kona SE
964 Posts
There are many charger providers. There are also several charging networks. Some supply home chargers and run networks. If you pick one of them you will usually get one of their cards to access public chargers thrown in. On the other hand you are likely to find some independent suppliers more flexible or more understanding of the particular needs of your location.

i cannot quote you the regulations (but there are some here who can) but the probability is that the installer will be reluctant to install on a circuit where he does not know the load capacity of the wires. Assuming you will get a 7KW charger fitted then that needs 32A alone. Most Garage circuits are fed from a 40A supply with some older ones just 20A and this would not be enough to take a 32A feed from.

In theory if you will have a Leaf then you ought to qualify for the home charger grant and need to pay no more than 25% of the cost. Suppliers vary in the way they calculate this contribution.

I went to nu-world after being messed around by a big network company. Look at their website for details. I was about to say that they are on this site but they have beaten me to it.

http://www.nuworldenergy.co.uk/nucharge/home-charging

As far as applying for cards some networks charge a fee and others require you to load an account with cash ready for the day that the network will start charging. Most definitely get the Ecotricity card but look Zap Map for areas you will travel in and see which network they are on. I have 6 cards but some like Source London are pretty localised.

Congratulations on getting a Leaf.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
The electrician who is going to fit it says it must be fitted to the main house fuse box. Is this the case. I have a garage with power to it and a small fuse box. Would this not suffice?

Any advice greatly accepted.

I still don't regret the order, despite East Yorkshire having very few charging points and will hopefully get it Thursday.
Thanks in advance.
The charge point is not fitted by your electrician if you want an OLEV grant aided one. Unlikely that your garage supply would be man enough. Get a socketed 32 Amp or you may regret it later. Most companies charge a little extra but Rolec may not.

GOM range is not last 5 journeys, last 5 minutes more like.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
The salesman had never seen the range over 110. Can anyone confirm this theory?
I have seen 115 miles but to be honest it means nothing. The salesman is right in that the range displayed is based on your recent driving style, speed, hills etc but I am not so sure it is as clear cut as the last 5 journeys. I have had a Leaf for over 3 years and I have yet to find a definitive answer to how many journeys the range estimate is based on. It also varies as you drive so the estimate includes the current journey style.

Remember though... it is a very rough estimate and not to be relied upon... EVER!

·
Registered
537 Posts
I got a PodPoint fitted, it's a 32a socketed unit, which I paid £108 extra for (inc vat) and they also had to do a 22 m run from the fuse box to the driveway. The fitters were great and worked with me to make the cabling as discreet as possible. They connected it straight to the main 100a fuse cut off in the meter board rather than the home distribution unit so I've not used up any spare ways. Ditto unlikely that the garage fuse will be man enough to cope. The only drawback is that I had to wait 10 weeks for the fitting which was a pain in the a$$ as I was running the EVSE 3 pin through the living room window all that time. It was ok as it was fairly warm outside to didn't wake up to a freezing clod and breezy house every morning. This time of year might be a different story though! I went for podpoint as I don't get o2 signal at home and theirs work on EE so it reduced my options somewhat. The unit is fairly bulky though! If you go for the untethered unit you might also need a type 2 to type 1 cable. I got a 32a 5 m one from NuWorld for about £160 ish.

Benefits of tethered over untethered - I've now got a type 2 to type 1 for charging out and about, the 'gun' doesn't protrude miles out from the unit when docked and it's future proof should the Leaf get replaced in a couple of years.

Drawbacks - needed to spend more on an extra cable, I tend to keep it in the car rather than in the unit when not in use as I don't want it to 'disappear' so I need to get it out of the boot every evening and it gets a bit mucked up.

·
http://ts.la/david3488
642 Posts
Rolec everytime, the pod point units are cheap chinese junk imho

·
Registered
731 Posts
I've got pod point. Fine so far. I don't like untethered because of having to get the cable out the boot/garage all the time.

·
http://ts.la/david3488
642 Posts
At the end of the day it is whatever suits you aesthetically, from an upgrade and quality perspective the rolec units allow upgrades in the future, if you want to swap the modules in the future you can, if you want to sell the car and turn it into a water tap you can, or you can get a unit with a shoddy pcb inside :)
No offence to those that use other units :)

Reactions: Sussex Trug

·
Registered
537 Posts
Not sure about reliability yet as it's early days but the plastic casing is a bit squiffy, another reason I went for the PodPoint is that on the website it looks good aesthetically, bit different in reality though, the mouldings look a bit naff and mine came in dull grey colour rather than white which is what I was expecting. It looks ok from a distance though and doesn't stand out too much as it is in quite a prominent position on the front of the house.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I'm getting a tethered one installed, not sure which brand but it's being put in by NuWorld. I didn't want to get the cable out every time so went for tethered. 32A, and the cable run will be over 20m.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Got a British gas 16 amp which he attached to my garage circuit. He declined to do the upgrade to the 7 Kw charger that I wanted and also declined to do a 15 meter run from my fuse box so the charger was where
i wanted it! Had the charger moved at my own cost!

·
Registered
Kona SE
964 Posts
I'm getting a tethered one installed, not sure which brand but it's being put in by NuWorld. I didn't want to get the cable out every time so went for tethered. 32A, and the cable run will be over 20m.
I wanted tethered for this reason but fitter turned up with socket version. I am actually quite pleased as it is future proof and after one week of use the cable in and out of the boot became automatic. I use the Nu-World cable which puts up much less of a fight than the original Nissan one when coiling or uncoiling. I also have the boot storage box in my leaf which is perfect for the cable so I don't have to bag it up. That would be too much hassle.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Sounds a bit like me but I ordered a socketed and a tethered turned up. Given I got caught in the OLEV rules change when EVSE's were hard to come by and I'd already been waiting 6 weeks I gave up and took the tethered.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts