Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am ready to pull the trigger with the Model 3 SR+ (just a base model, no extras, no larger wheels, no towbar) but I don't want it delivered before April 2020 when the new BIK rates come in. I expect there will be a lot of interest in EVs as a company car once people realise they car pay zero BIK (at least in 2020/2021) and this extra demand might mean delays. I wonder how early should I place an order to make sure I get it in April/May next year. I am either looking to buy it cash outright through my own limited company or lease for 3-4 years. If I order within the next couple of weeks, can I stall the delivery until April 2020? Also, if the price drops while I am waiting for delivery, will my invoice be adjusted to reflect that? Tesla website currently says "estimated delivery November 2019"...

·
Registered
444 Posts
I wondered this. I guess you could. But I imagine the deal would be subject to price changes that might occur prior to delivery.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I think in a couple of months the backlog of orders will have been cleared and delivery dates will be more accurate.

I don't think you need to order it until about February. By then, I don't see why it would take more than a couple of months.

Have you got a good accountant? My accountant often moves things around from year to year, there's certain costs that you can do that with, I'm not sure if a car is one of them.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I actually think this is going to make the 3 the best selling UK car in April/May so you might want to get that order in just before the end of the year. Demand is going to go nuts.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm interested in this for similar reasons. I'm keen to order next year for a 20 plate, don't want or need it any earlier than March 1st. Would ordering in February be leaving it too late?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
As the US Tax credits end on 31st Dec I am expecting Q1 to have slow US sales for Tesla unless the Model Y production starts early. The China factory should also be starting production at the start of next year, freeing capability up for other markets.

Likewise I think we may be starved of cars towards the end of this year as the US demand will be high.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know there are never any discounts on Teslas but I wonder if they might chuck something in on days like Black Friday or Boxing Day - free 1,000 supercharger miles or something similar. Tesla have always been way outside my price bracket so I never followed it too closely, but I wonder if anyone recalls any Black Friday or Boxing Day specials?

·
Regular contributor
296 Posts
@TKD yeah .. I've been thinking for the last few weeks to do the same. Was really annoyed that the prices just went up 5%.
All I hear in my workplace is 'who' is going EV first. There are a trickle of model 3 orders going to our lease company now, but I expect the "gold rush" to grow over the next month or so.

Then of course the Gov will drop the 3.5k allowance, and Brexit may affect prices again, so in my FOMO :eek: .. I may actually hit the button early and be happy with Jan / Feb delivery! :cool:
Orders going in now I believe are getting November delivery dates (depending on hitting a model 3 car-park delivery match), so it won't take many more orders to push through December ...

@JWilde I think it may hit the top of the BEST SELLING before April / May it's already #3 in Aug ... o_O

·
Registered
13 Posts
I actually think this is going to make the 3 the best selling UK car in April/May so you might want to get that order in just before the end of the year. Demand is going to go nuts.
End of Tesla's quarter will be March so I expect them to go all out in March and get most orders fulfilled then, I don't think they would be that enthusiastic about 1st week of April deliveries probably more like May based on previous years estimates for S/X.

If possible I would aim for March and order it in Jan, worse case being that you pay 16% BIK for one month, if this is an option...

·
Registered
8,900 Posts
End of Tesla's quarter will be March so I expect them to go all out in March and get most orders fulfilled then, I don't think they would be that enthusiastic about 1st week of April deliveries probably more like May based on previous years estimates for S/X.

If possible I would aim for March and order it in Jan, worse case being that you pay 16% BIK for one month, if this is an option...
I'm not sure this is how BIK works. Do you pay pro rata for every month you have it, or do you pay the full whack for the year, even if you only have it for the last month?

·
Regular contributor
296 Posts
I'd love to do that right now, although I'm swapping 16% for 16% on a more expensive car, I also don't save on fuel as I'm already commuting on electrons, however I would have to pay "early redemption" to get out of my current lease :( .. Which for me is worth doing from April onwards ..

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I'd love to do that right now, although I'm swapping 16% for 16% on a more expensive car, I also don't save on fuel as I'm already commuting on electrons, however I would have to pay "early redemption" to get out of my current lease :( .. Which for me is worth doing from April onwards ..
Would a change of employer not get you out of a ICE company car without the cost?

·
Regular contributor
296 Posts
Would a change of employer not get you out of a ICE company car without the cost?
True, but finding another job that gets me into a Model 3 as quick at I can get one now, I doubt very much! It'll probably only mean £800~900 if I press the order button soon.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi all, I am ready to pull the trigger with the Model 3 SR+ (just a base model, no extras, no larger wheels, no towbar) but I don't want it delivered before April 2020 when the new BIK rates come in. I expect there will be a lot of interest in EVs as a company car once people realise they car pay zero BIK (at least in 2020/2021) and this extra demand might mean delays. I wonder how early should I place an order to make sure I get it in April/May next year. I am either looking to buy it cash outright through my own limited company or lease for 3-4 years. If I order within the next couple of weeks, can I stall the delivery until April 2020? Also, if the price drops while I am waiting for delivery, will my invoice be adjusted to reflect that? Tesla website currently says "estimated delivery November 2019"...
We are deciding on exactly the same thing.

When we went to test drive the M3 last month at Tesla Bluewater, the guy told us something like: order it online and when a shipment is due Tesla will get in touch to assign a specific car to you with an estimated delivery date. At this call you can ask them to hold off due to the delivery being too early for you. Full payment is then due a few days actual confirmed delivery date (i.e. when you have your VIN etc.)

We are thinking of placing the order around Dec/Jan, unless another option works out (e.g. Evezy allowing billing through the company)

HTH

·
Registered
876 Posts
The time to ask this question (not necessarily order) is December/January when we know how demand has gone, I really can't see it taking 3-4 months by then to order and take delivery. In europe they had inventory cars available withn 4 months of launch, not always the model you might want but they had long since stopped building to order, in fact I don't think Tesla ever build to oider now, they just match your order to a car they're building anyway.

Trying to answer now is just crystal ball gazing really.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
fact I don't think Tesla ever build to oider now,
I think model S/X are still partly build to order as they are not mass macket cars, even then mostly they build the cars they predict they can sell within a short time.

Model 3 is not build to order, however the number of "unmatched" orders for
each configuration along with the predicted orders over the next few week will clearly effect what they decide to build. They try to build a batch of each configuration to reduce complexity of getting the correct parts to each section of the production line.

·
Registered
876 Posts
They reduced the options count on MS and MX to virtually nothing so I suspect they're not built ot order either.

There are stories of new M3 orders being offered delivery dates in 3 weeks, thats nothing in reality, whereas others are still waiting months. In the US they're offering free uprages to higher spec inventory cars to fulfill orders for quarter end. Of course you then enter the game of chicken, do you order a car late in sat early March and hope they offer you a better car for the same price for delivery that month, or do you place your order in January giving plenty of time and they suddenly have a load and want you to take delivery before the 70 plate comes out. We way Tesla operates, as a buyer you've little control over these things

1 - 19 of 19 Posts