Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone managed to order the Ohme EVSE on the Octopus £200 deal - if so what was the procedure?
No info on ordering on the site of either company - I emailed Octopus a couple of days ago and have had no reply yet.

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,375 Posts
They then sent me an email with this link in (personal details removed)

·
Registered
877 Posts
I just went through the online process, it doesn't actually order a cable, it simply tells them you want to, and then in theory you get some sort of discount code to buy one at the reduced price.
I'm ordering one to use with the MG ZS EV which I ordered last week (4th Oct), since the MG doesn't have timed charging yet. I figure a high quality type 2 cable will be an asset, so I can buy a cheaper EVSE for the house.

On the other hand, I am thinking of going full MyEnergie with an Eddi and Zappi etc.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I just came across this article:
http://www.v2g.co.uk/2019/03/octopus-and-ohme-announce-a-smart-cable/

"Ohme’s device doesn’t determine the electric vehicle (EV for short) battery pack’s state of charge by communicating with the EV through the cable. Instead it finds out that useful piece of information by using its 4G modem to communicate with assorted EV original equipment manufacturer’s (OEM for short) cloud platforms, which in turn communicate wirelessly with the EV the Ohme’s cable is plugged into using proprietary protocols."

this means unfortunately it won't be useful with the MG which has no telematics.

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,375 Posts

"Ohme’s device doesn’t determine the electric vehicle (EV for short) battery pack’s state of charge by communicating with the EV through the cable. Instead it finds out that useful piece of information by using its 4G modem to communicate with assorted EV original equipment manufacturer’s (OEM for short) cloud platforms, which in turn communicate wirelessly with the EV the Ohme’s cable is plugged into using proprietary protocols."

this means unfortunately it won't be useful with the MG which has no telematics.
It can still offer basic charging though and you can set the times in the app. The car will stop when it reaches whatever % you set in the car.

I tested mine with my GTE, so no fancy telematics as Ohme don't support a VW login.

·
Registered
200 Posts
A couple of questions for someone who already owns an Ohme:
1 It seems the best option is to choose the commando plug. I can have a 32A socket installed at my house and also at a family house I visit, then charge at 7kW. Is that correct?
2 Can I construct a 3pin plug lead to a commando socket, so it will work like a traditional granny charger. Can I set a max charge rate on the ohme, as there would be no temperature sensing in the 3pin plug. The FAQ suggest that 'dumb' mode will draw at a maximum it can achieve.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It does not have any way to set current manually, so not suitable for use as a ganny charger. If that's what you need, you'd be better off with the Zencar unit which the Ohme is based on, or a seperate granny lead.
In dumb mode, it sets current to 30A and there is no way to change that afaics

·
Registered
4,235 Posts

The Zappi would be the same, there isn't a way for a charger to obtain the SOC with an AC connection, or so the guys at myenergi tell us.

·
Registered
29 Posts
In my experience I filled out the form. I was then Contacted via email and was required to pay £200 into the Octopus Account which was then deducted. a few days later the cable arrived in the post.

·
Registered
200 Posts
In dumb mode, it sets current to 30A and there is no way to change that afaics
Appreciate the information. The ZENCAR appears available direct from Asia. Anyway, at least going with the OHME means it will integrate with Agile - according to the information they give. It was 0.36p/kWh on Agile this morning o_O
octopus agile 2019-10-11 .png

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hmm. Back in 1991, Southern Electric launched their Flexiheat tariff. This gave a controlled circuit for storage heaters and one for immersions which would come on in blocks of half an hour when electricity was cheap to generate. The controlled circuit units were slightly cheaper than Economy 7 night rate. They also sold thousands of heating systems using the Flexiheat tariff, advertised by Dame Edna, if anyone remembers? :)

However, when competition came along, none of the other companies offered 'Flexiheat'. So anyone having one of those systems remained tied to Southern Electric, unless they wanted to go back to Economy 7 and not have any afternoon heating boost.

Southern Electric rather cynically took advantage of this, increasing the heating cost by around 14% per year from 2001 to now. It now costs more for the controlled circuit units than the evening & weekend units that are used by all the other appliances.

I predict these little car charging gadgets will become as useless as a Flexiheat heating system in a few years. Not because there is anything wrong with the technology, but because being tied to a particular generator gives scope for customer gouging.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
I predict these little car charging gadgets will become as useless as a Flexiheat heating system in a few years. Not because there is anything wrong with the technology, but because being tied to a particular generator gives scope for customer gouging.
The difference here is even if the Agile Tariff becomes expensive the Ohme unit doesn't tie you to that one tariff. Change to any other tariff and just use the timer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The difference here is even if the Agile Tariff becomes expensive the Ohme unit doesn't tie you to that one tariff. Change to any other tariff and just use the timer.
I know you can use it as a timer. Just £200 is a lot for a timer, that most people have built into their cars anyway.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
£200 is a lot for a timer, but cheap for an EVSE. Pity it's rather limited in function when for zero extra buuld cost it could be more versatile.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
I know you can use it as a timer. Just £200 is a lot for a timer, that most people have built into their cars anyway.
If the Agile tariff becomes obsolete and E7 is the best tariff for charging an EV then you only need a timer. I expect there to be more tariffs like Agile in the future, not less. The more we move from burning fossil fuels to electricity for driving, heating etc. the more options there will be, especially with batteries in the mix.
I thimk the question will be how are Ohmn going to deal with other tariffs, will it only be Octopus deals that it will be working with, and how long will the company be around to support there EVSE?
If you don't have a home charger this is a cheap option, £200 and the cost for an electrician to fit an outdoor 32amp connector. That's probably going to work out the same or less than the prices for many of the OLEV support chargers that are being quoted at the moment.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm just starting to look at all of this with interest, the new tariffs like this are interesting, and something I envisage will become more commonplace across all utilities as smart meters become standard.

Having a smart home, this should be relatively simple to correlate the utility API against a car, or smart charger to start or pause a charge. It could even get to the point of where I could instruct my car that it needs to be charged to xx% by the time I leave for work (say 06:00) then the start charge time is calculated based on those parameters.

I could appreciate on the other hand how complicated this could become with these cables, smart chargers, and car timers etc. You would also need some sort of fail-safe mechanism as everyone seems to be so keen on using cloud based services these days and forget about offering some form of local API for those times that a cloud service is not available, or an Internet connection is down.

I'm a strong advocate of keeping a local access as much as possible, having seen first hand how these become difficult (for forum users here just have to see the hassles that Nissan users go through) - worse still when manufacturers want to paywall cloud solutions, or go out of business and kill off any of that smart functionality.

Seems like there is still some ways to go with a lot of this home charging solutions, and it's still rather infantile - but a niche player who can adopt some of these dynamics quickly and reliably could well end up being a winner here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts